Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iTech Virtual Keyboard review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iTech Virtual Keyboard review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: iTech Virtual Keyboard review Reply with quote

One of the things that makes PDAs and mobile phones difficult to use is the data entry mechanisms. With a PDA you generally get an on-screen keyboard that is touch sensitive, not too bad, but with a Mobile phone you have a keypad with 9 keys to input your entire text.

Maybe this is showing my age, but I don't have "idle thumbs" and cannot make my fingers fly round a keyboard. This is where the iTech Virtual Keyboard comes in providing a fully featured keyboard for a number of portable devices. Robert and I first saw this at the Stuff Live exhibition and now I have got my hands on one to review.

Does it work well or is it just a gimmick? Click here to read on and find out...
The_Pilgrim
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I have had a vkb for about 4 months now with an XDA2 and now an XDA2s and i generally agree with your comments in the review. Just a couple of points you could clarify for me if you would be so kind (im not sure if yours is a mk11 version)

You spoke of a motion detector that switched the unit off whilst travelling. I know this is a safety feature to prevent eye damage from the laser diode if the unit falls over etc. My unit has a small switch on the base so if it falls or somebody picks it up it switches off: does yours have the same or is it actually some type of motion detector?

I agree the cable can be a pain in the neck some times but a small lump of blue tack holding the cable to the surface about 4 inches from the VKB solved it for me. (Blue tack could also be a solution for point no. 1 if it is a switch on the base and not a motion sensor)

I have never used thi VKB for any length of time so i have not experienced any memory problem. i will test this out and let you know what i find.

You are correct: What a crowed puller. I have found i dont even need to connect it to a pda people are just amazed when you switch it on :D

Regards

The Pilgrim
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Pilgrim wrote:
Hi Mike,

I have had a vkb for about 4 months now with an XDA2 and now an XDA2s and i generally agree with your comments in the review. Just a couple of points you could clarify for me if you would be so kind (im not sure if yours is a mk11 version)

I am not too sure. I would assume that it is a MK2 as it was only just sent to me.

The_Pilgrim wrote:

You spoke of a motion detector that switched the unit off whilst travelling. I know this is a safety feature to prevent eye damage from the laser diode if the unit falls over etc. My unit has a small switch on the base so if it falls or somebody picks it up it switches off: does yours have the same or is it actually some type of motion detector?

This seems to be a true motion detector. There is a small microswitch under the unit, but it also seems to cut out when there is excessive movement. I suppose it is possible it it still triggering the microswitch.

The_Pilgrim wrote:

I agree the cable can be a pain in the neck some times but a small lump of blue tack holding the cable to the surface about 4 inches from the VKB solved it for me. (Blue tack could also be a solution for point no. 1 if it is a switch on the base and not a motion sensor)

Yes I can see this being a work around, but not too good for the crowd pulling. At the price point for this device you should be able to have a stable unit.
SafeHarbor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Mike,

Can it project a Dvorak keyboard layout? Or maybe that's an option in the driver (even if the display doesn't)?

I see that they have a Bluetooth VKB, too...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here

http://www.tsrmobile.com/news_101204.html

Let the drool ruul ! [sic]

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SafeHarbor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Lutz,

Lust, yes. I couldn't find mention of Dvorak capabilities in any of the handbooks, so I wrote and asked them. When you get used to using the Dvorak layout, you know, it's hard to go back!

Thanks!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamar,

as I understand it the keyboard doesn't support ten-finger-typing anyhow, rather circle-and-peck. Maybe the keyboard layout isn't that important then?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SafeHarbor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Lutz,

Well, the specs say 400 characters per minute. I re-read Mike's article and don't get that sense of it at all.
The_Pilgrim
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all

Im no expert on typing (2 index fingers and a thumb for the space bar Confused ) but i know you cannot rest your fingers on these keys as some typists do with a tactile keyboard. This is because the activation takes place when your finger is 1.6 mm (1/16") above the surface. You have to hold your fingers above the surface unless your pressing the key, not sure if that what 'circle and pecking' is.

regards

The Pilgrim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I thought I would let you know the Bluetooth version is much better, just a tad difficult to pair (use its reset buton to distroy the Bluetooth bond if switching between devices as this way is faster - Got there in the end.
It will also work with the XDA-Exec (WM2005) which the suppliers weren't too sure about. I've still to get the software to work on 2005, but the device is fine. - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: