Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile POI Site Launched for Smart Phones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile POI Site Launched for Smart Phones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great 'app', really needed. However just one suggestion - can you get the page to initiate the GPS for a bit longer. My GPS turned on for all of about 5 seconds and then the page said it couldn't find a signal and suggested a manual search. Any GPS is likely to take longer than that! Cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevem999 wrote:
Great 'app', really needed. However just one suggestion - can you get the page to initiate the GPS for a bit longer. My GPS turned on for all of about 5 seconds and then the page said it couldn't find a signal and suggested a manual search. Any GPS is likely to take longer than that! Cheers

What device is it? Generally I've found both iPhone and my Android Motorola Atrix are able to get a good fix in the time given. You can always tap the 'Location' button again and it will start the automatic location off?

MaFt
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
AliOnHols wrote:
Oldboy wrote:
Human nature I'm afraid. Rolling Eyes Someone else will do it. Wink
Very true Oldboy. Sad really.
I think that OB's reply should have been reworded slightly to "Well, why have you not submitted all the lovely POIs in Madrid?" Burn In Hell

Ok, I'll take the bait.

No sooner said than done. Simples.

Never having been to Madrid It's not something I felt qualified to do. But, I've just submitted the six I mentioned above (Barajas Airport has 4 terminals).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
[
What device is it? Generally I've found both iPhone and my Android Motorola Atrix are able to get a good fix in the time given. You can always tap the 'Location' button again and it will start the automatic location off?

MaFt

Hi MaFt,

My Sensation takes for ever and a day to get a GPS fix. If I am in a house by the window with a clear view of the sky it takes about 4-5 mins. OK I know not ideal conditions but TT720 gets a fix in about 15 secs.

When I go out to the car I turn GPS on before I leave the house, set the phone up n the car on the dash and then again have to wait another 3-4 mins to get a fix. Quite often I have had to drive away with no GPS fix, and for it to spring into life some 10 miins later.

May be my phone or it may be HTC, whatever, GPS is very slow for me. Once it is going it is no problem.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it get it if you tap 'Location' again a couple of times?

MaFt
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
stevem999 wrote:

MaFt

Samsung Galaxy S2 - tried the location button a few times and it just turns on the GPS for about 5 seconds each time and then shows the message about not finding location and suggests a manual search.

Cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... My brother has the S2, as does Darren ad neither reported a similar issue.

Silly questions time:
1) Is GPS turned on?
2) Did you give permission for the site to use your location?

Not so silly question:
3) Are you using the stock Android browser? I couldn't get it to work using Firefox Mobile even though I gave it permission to use my location.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SGII running ICS and it works fine for me. Just checked, cold start.
Activated GPS, loaded page, tapped 'Location' and it pinpointed me.
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Hmm... My brother has the S2, as does Darren ad neither reported a similar issue.

Silly questions time:
1) Is GPS turned on?
2) Did you give permission for the site to use your location?

Not so silly question:
3) Are you using the stock Android browser? I couldn't get it to work using Firefox Mobile even though I gave it permission to use my location.

MaFt

Thanks MaFt, relatively new Android user and didn't know there was a setting to let websites use location info. GPS was on and was using the stock browser but didn't have the location setting turned on. Just found that and activated it and now seems to be working.
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic "app", Thank you.

This will be very usefull when out in the motorhome to find nearby pubs, fuel etc.

It even finds my location from my laptop at home without gps, I assume it uses wifi?

If I was you I would make this into an iphome app and sell it. Im sure that it would do well.
JQL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat on a campsite in France (getting wet Sad ) near Paris and my nearest 5 swimming pools are in....

Eastbourne and the south coast of England Shocked

E-TEN M700 with TomTom

Free Avatar Sizing software Avatar Sizer
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't automatically find my location on my HTC Desire. (Manual location works, of course.)

After the first few failed attempts, I ran SpeedView (which shows satellites as it fins them), waited till it had a fix, and retried PGPSW POI, which still couldn't auto-locate me.

Then I ran CamerAlert and waited till it had a fix (and updated the databse) and retried PGPSW POI, which still failed to auto-locate me.

Then I ran Google Maps as well and waited till it found me, and retried PGPSW POI (now having three other GPS apps running successfully) -- and it still failed to auto-locate me.

What am I doing wrong?

Anton
joneskdale
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Nice work with the App - Something that is needed.
Had a look around and the App seems to work well some sections look to have good data. Supermarkets seem to work well. But as always the problem is getting up to date data. Hopefully PocketGPSWorld can pull this off by using their team of subscribers that are already used to submitting speed cameras.
There is a lot of data missing.
I tried Banks - Halifax - This didn't do very well - Didn't find either of two banks nearest to work.
I tried Specsavers - Didn't do very well either - Missed the nearest three at least.
I tried Fuel - Here I really only wanted to see Petrol and Diesel but it showed mostly Calor Gas.

I was using an iPad3. Didn't find location first time but second attempt worked.

Can I make one suggestion for the program. I know you can specify how many to find default 5 but it would be great if after it has found the 5 there was a button that said "MORE" so you could get say the next 5 without having to go back and resubmit etc. This would be a great usability improvement.

Lastly would it be possible to have send to car (BMW) the same as you can do from Google Maps., or the BMW Remote App for the iphone?
Gladly help with any details and testing.
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonM

Had same problem. Checked previous posts and you need to turn on the location setting in your browsers settings. I use the browser that comes loaded with my HTC desire HD.

Regards
Alan
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joneskdale wrote:
There is a lot of data missing.

Add it :D

joneskdale wrote:
Can I make one suggestion for the program. I know you can specify how many to find default 5 but it would be great if after it has found the 5 there was a button that said "MORE" so you could get say the next 5 without having to go back and resubmit etc. This would be a great usability improvement.

Ooh, now I like that idea!

joneskdale wrote:
Lastly would it be possible to have send to car (BMW) the same as you can do from Google Maps., or the BMW Remote App for the iphone?
Gladly help with any details and testing.

Does the BMW remote app allow users to send locations to it via SMS or weblink etc? Ditto for the car - how would you normally get a lcoation sent to the car?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: