Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding New Maps to unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding New Maps to unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terenceh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Adding New Maps to unit Reply with quote

I have a 720 which I bought in February and had considered upgrading to a 930 for access to USA maps but was advised by Darren Griffin that subject to what internal memory I had it was possible to download a US map from TOMTOM after paying a fee. Since receiving that advice I become aware that one can buy on amazon.co.uk, sd tomtom maps of the USA for a very reasonable price. This seems on the face of it much more sensible then downloading them.Would a map intended for Tomtom 710 be OK for a 720 or 730?

Terenceh
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Just had a look at a couple of the SD card versions on Amazon and they don't always say what version map you would be getting. The only one I saw was version 6.6 which is quite old now. Note also that these are from Marketplace sellers and not Amazon themselves.

For not a lot more, you can get the latest map direct from TomTom (v7.20). Granted, you'll have to get an SD card but these are quite cheap now.

Others have found that the version 8 maps for the 730 have worked on the earlier devices but I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to go that route (it seems to work but don't expect any support from TomTom if it doesn't).
Brodit ProClip mount
Terenceh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GerryC for your information. What size SD card should I buy do you think? Can I buy it from TomTom or is it cheaper elsewhere? I had another look at the 7.20 map and the one for the total USA looks more attractive than the one for New England which I originally selected.

Terenceh Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4GB is the best size for capacity and is the largest card that the TomTom will actually work correctly with. The unit supports the SDHC card types and will work to some extent with larger cards, but not without issues -- as you are using a map on the card rather than music I would go for the 4GB. Something like This One would do as it is high speed (class six) - Mike
Elastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When updating a map with the latest version (UK and NI for example), does the update overwrite the map already on the unit or is it treated as a seperate map?

Thanks
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It overwrites it, without warning you that it's going to, so if you want to keep your original map you'll have to make sure it's backed up on your pc.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
It overwrites it, without warning you that it's going to, so if you want to keep your original map you'll have to make sure it's backed up on your pc.

Is that always the case now, Anita?

I'm sure it never used to work that way... maybe they just ran out of different ways of using the hyphens and undersores in "- Great_-Britain_and-Northern-_Ireland-_" Laughing

Seriously, I've not bought any maps recently (W+CE 710 and 715 were my latest) but as they were the different sizes the folder names were different (one had _2GB at the end)
I was quite surprised when I started hearing people say it had overwritten the previous map, as that had never happened to me.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly when I downloaded v805 UK & RoI map it overwrote the v720 UK & RoI that was on the device's internal memory.

I've removed the W&CE map, so there was plenty of room, and I assumed I would end up with both UK maps, but the device only had v8.

I can't be sure it's always the case, I just assumed it was.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Elastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Certainly when I downloaded v805 UK & RoI map it overwrote the v720 UK & RoI that was on the device's internal memory.

I've removed the W&CE map, so there was plenty of room, and I assumed I would end up with both UK maps, but the device only had v8.

I can't be sure it's always the case, I just assumed it was.

I suppose, thinking about it, if the downloaded map has exactly the same file name as the existing map then it will overwrite the existing map on the unit. Otherwise it will save it as a seperate map.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... In the past, they always used to come up with a slightly different name each time (that's what I was alluding to with my mention of lots of hyphens and underscores in my last post).
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they just stick the version on the end, or is that too simple? Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Anita! Nearly 1400 posts and you STILL think TomTom might do something as sensible as that? Joker
Elastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking... In the past, they always used to come up with a slightly different name each time (that's what I was alluding to with my mention of lots of hyphens and underscores in my last post).

When updating a file (with the same file name) using Windows Explorer it asks you if you want to overwrite the file, does this happen when updating a map via "Home" or does it just do it without asking permission?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Come on Anita! Nearly 1400 posts and you STILL think TomTom might do something as sensible as that? Joker

Now be fair Andy - she's only a relative newcomer to the wonderful world of TomTom - since she won my prize in the monthly competition!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elastic wrote:
When updating a file (with the same file name) using Windows Explorer it asks you if you want to overwrite the file, does this happen when updating a map via "Home" or does it just do it without asking permission?

No, it doesn't bother to ask permission, it just overwrites it. Evil or Very Mad
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: