Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 610T lost maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 610T lost maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 610T lost maps Reply with quote

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 610T today.

Got it home, put some charge in the batteries.

I had a quick play, putting in some locations.

I then ran the software updater and registration.

I have not lost my Mapsource maps, just got the basic trunk routes showing. I tried reset but there are no maps loaded - Map Info button is greyed out.

Anyone any ideas?

MB
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take a backup before you performed the update?

I suspect, however, the maps are now gone, and you'll need to return the unit for fixing.

I thought these problems were solved with the latest WebUpdater - unless you were running an earlier version of WebUpdater...

The maps cannot be downloaded (way too big, and there would be copyright issues), so without a backup, it's back to Garmin / supplier I'm afraid.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately no!

MB
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Garmijn Support this morning and they confirmed that there was a faulty batch and it would have to go back.

I have taken back and got a refund (no others in stock locally). I liked the unit so will pick up another at the weekend when I will be going near some large shops.

Is there any way of identifying whether they have the same problem and liable to lose the maps if I do a software update?

Is there a way of backing up the maps before doing an update so that they can be recovered if the same thing happens again?

MB
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will be able to tell a good or bad unit from stock, although it may be worth waiting a couple of weeks and then buying from someone who turns over a lot of stock, thereby hopefully you will get the fixed stock.

Yes, search these forums - by connecting the unit to your PC, you can see the files on the unit, you just need to *copy* (not move) all the files on the unit onto your PC.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, if I was not going away then I would waited until they restocked as that might have been fresh stock. I should be able to get a larger shop which as you say will have a quicker turnover.

Yes I could see the files using Windows Explorer but that was only after I had lost the maps. I will just backup everything.

MB
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a replacement Nuvi 610T today.

Software version is 2.10 - is this liable to crash when I update or is it dependent on the unit ID.

Also it does not seem to recognising the GTM12 - the screen asks me to connect the traffic receiver to the nuvi to use Auto Tune but I have connected it!

About shows
GTM S/W version N/A

Martin
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very old software version, which I believe did suffer from a "missing traffic receiver" bug. I've no idea what caused your original unit to fail, although there are a few things you can do to minimise the risk of problems...

1. Take a backup of every file and directory. If you have a problem with the the \garmin\gpx directory, it may be corrupt. If so, backup every other directory individually, and then backup the current.gpx file from that corrupt directory. Before progressing, run a "Scan for errors" CHKDSK within Windows and clear up the corruption.

2. Do not use WebUpdater. Go to the www.garmin.com website, find the 610, and download the latest firmware for it. Run this to upgrade the firmware.

3. If you have the missing maps again, we can go through re-installing the few missing / corrupt files, but this will only work if you have backed up every single file in step 1.

Finally, that is a hell of a software version jump - was the other unit on the same earlier firmware? If so, it might be a problem that you need to run through an intermediate firmware for some reason.

Oh, and I suspect you mean GTM21, not GTM12 for a 610T.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
That's a very old software version, which I believe did suffer from a "missing traffic receiver" bug. I've no idea what caused your original unit to fail, although there are a few things you can do to minimise the risk of problems...

1. Take a backup of every file and directory. If you have a problem with the the \garmin\gpx directory, it may be corrupt. If so, backup every other directory individually, and then backup the current.gpx file from that corrupt directory. Before progressing, run a "Scan for errors" CHKDSK within Windows and clear up the corruption.

2. Do not use WebUpdater. Go to the www.garmin.com website, find the 610, and download the latest firmware for it. Run this to upgrade the firmware.

3. If you have the missing maps again, we can go through re-installing the few missing / corrupt files, but this will only work if you have backed up every single file in step 1.

Finally, that is a hell of a software version jump - was the other unit on the same earlier firmware? If so, it might be a problem that you need to run through an intermediate firmware for some reason.

Oh, and I suspect you mean GTM21, not GTM12 for a 610T.

The lead with the traffic receiver is labelled GTM12 - mini serial plug on one end.

I don't known what the original software version was on the old unit, I did not get chance to check. Powered up, seemed OK so ran WebUpdater and that is when I lost the maps.

I tried WebUpdater on this one - not intending to actually update but just check what was needed. It would not "talk" to the Nuvi 610T, Find Device found nothing. I also tried my old MapSource programme and that was not seeing the Nuvi either.

I tried filling in the contact form on Garmin Support, tried three times but screen cleared each time Send pressed and nothing sent.

I have tried sending to techsupp@garmin.com - I am travelling around this week but might find a phoen box tomorrow and give the 0808 number a call.

I might have an Internet connection Monday and Tuesday evenings.

Getting a bit fed up with Garmin!

Martin
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you purchase it from? Garmin's traffic information webpage shows that the 6xx range is only compatible with the GTM21 (which is a combined power cable / FM traffic receiver) as opposed to the GTM12, which is completely separate from the power cable. Garmin's 610T webpage explicitly states the 610T comes with a GTM21.

Even moreso, the 610T package from Garmin is a 610 with a GTM21 - anything else, and I'm not sure quite what you have bought. It's possible it's not a true Garmin dealer who has sold you a bundle cheaper. Having said that, I could be wrong, and it's exactly what one should expect from Garmin.

If the unit won't talk to your PC, which worked fine with the last unit, I would send it straight back to the retailer and get another one.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Where did you purchase it from? Garmin's traffic information webpage shows that the 6xx range is only compatible with the GTM21 (which is a combined power cable / FM traffic receiver) as opposed to the GTM12, which is completely separate from the power cable. Garmin's 610T webpage explicitly states the 610T comes with a GTM21.

Even moreso, the 610T package from Garmin is a 610 with a GTM21 - anything else, and I'm not sure quite what you have bought. It's possible it's not a true Garmin dealer who has sold you a bundle cheaper. Having said that, I could be wrong, and it's exactly what one should expect from Garmin.

If the unit won't talk to your PC, which worked fine with the last unit, I would send it straight back to the retailer and get another one.

Just bought in Argos, I live in the Highlands so limited range available and did not want to wait for mail order as thought it would be useful to have this week.

The first one that I had must have been a GTM21 as it was integrated with the power lead. I did wonder when I opened the box today and found it different but had not specifically looked at the type number.

I will give Garmin a ring tomorrow and see if best to just return to another branch for a swap, probably be pass by one sometime in the next few days.

The box does not specify whether GTM12 or GTM21.

Martin
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would send it back, based on the not working with the PC, and try another one.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably end up doing that but on the road early tomorrow and won't be near anywhere convenient until later in the day so will speak to Garmin first.

Martin
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped the unit yet again today.

This one has a GTM21

As delivered the software versions were
Unit 2.60 3.80
Audio 3.20 2.30
GTM 3.70 4.10
GPS 2.80 2.90
Bluetooth 2.40 2.80

Second figure is after updating and maps not lost this time!

Not got the GTM working yet but will try again tomorrow with newer software and see if it find anything.

Martin
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find the GTM21 takes a few days to settle down and provide traffic. You may also find you are in part of the country without good TMC signal (or even an area of the country with no signal at all), so be patient, and try it in different locations.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: