Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC Reply with quote

As we announced at CeBit, TomTom will in the next couple of months be releasing an update to TomTom Navigator 3 called TomTom Navigator 5. As with the previous TomTom GO 5 Review and the TomTom Mobile 5 Review, we can now release a review for the TomTom Navigator 5 (Palm and Pocket PC).

This review covers both TomTom Navigator 5 for the Pocket PC and TomTom Navigator 5 for the Palm OS. This review does not cover the new TomTom Bluetooth GPS Receiver or any other hardware at the time of writing this review, hardware reviews will come later when we receive hardware review samples.

The full review is available here.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: TTN5 map compatability Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the insight of benefits of TTN5.

So far I have kept with TTN2 plus post code and POI add ons, I also have ALL the European maps.

The change from TTN1 to TTN2 meant the purchase of a whole new set of maps. Do you know if this will be the same with TTN5???????

Thanks

PeterB
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From version 2 to 5 will mean new maps. The format is totally different.
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the brilliant review.

Has TomTom 5 solved the problem of reverting to 'Quickest' option if you go off-route after having selected 'Shortest'?

Many thanks
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review once again, thank you.

As some of you may know I purchased a sat nav system mainly for use when towing a caravan. In the past I have been using the avoid area feature to make sure that I do not go down narrow lanes etc on my journey.

Since this feature is missing on this new version how accurate are options to change the routing algorithms? For example if I chose to use the fastest route option would this stick mainly to motorways and A roads etc?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:
Excellent review once again, thank you.

As some of you may know I purchased a sat nav system mainly for use when towing a caravan. In the past I have been using the avoid area feature to make sure that I do not go down narrow lanes etc on my journey.

Since this feature is missing on this new version how accurate are options to change the routing algorithms? For example if I chose to use the fastest route option would this stick mainly to motorways and A roads etc?

It will do as long as there are main roads covering your journey, I found that it created some interesting routes from Rayleigh, Essex to Long Melford, Suffolk. The problem is that the normal "human route" would take you up the A130/A131 a reasonably slow road. Whereas the Fastest is to go up the A12 and then cut across country. Having said that the minor roads that we went down were still OK(ish) for caravans. This sort of routing is an extreeme example, and normally the Fastest will favour the Motorways and A roads
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB thank you for your promt reply. The routing options sound to be about the answer that we have been looking for.

This is looking like an excellent product. Much better in my view than CoPilot! Can't wait to upgrade!
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a very full and interesting review.

I may be missing something obvious but I can't see the new full 7 digit postcode screens anywhere - the one shown looks the same as the 5 digit one on TomTom 3?

Also, does Map view still have all the same options on the bottom menus, or are they changed/reduced from TomTom 3?
bob733
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse the dumb question, but I am a little confused. There is much talk about TomTom2 and 3. I just purchased TomTom Navigator 2004 for my Treo 650. It is coming Wednesday (2/16/2005). What is V2 and V3? I dont see them listed in the TomTom site under personal navigation.

How does 2004 figure in with the upgrade to V5. I have gone to the TomTom web site and all I see are products TomTom Navigator 2004 for Palm and PC..... nothing about 2 or 3.

Please advise as I will not open up the 2004 when I get it if an upgrade is not possible because it is not version 2 or 3 (whatever they are?)

Thanks
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have your current speed displayed on the status bar? I find this very useful. The speed display is huge on TTN3, tiny on the TTGO -- it would be a shame if it was missing entirely on TT5.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed can be set as an option to view, but it is a small part of the display.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Europe routing Reply with quote

I have the European maps version of Navigator 3, so don't have the major roads of Europe.

Does Navigator 5 offer anything to help cross border navigation and route planning. Map stitching or something equivalent maybe.

Be interested to hear how this new version improves on the old in this respect, if anyone knows.

Cheers.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Thanks for a very full and interesting review.

I may be missing something obvious but I can't see the new full 7 digit postcode screens anywhere - the one shown looks the same as the 5 digit one on TomTom 3?

Also, does Map view still have all the same options on the bottom menus, or are they changed/reduced from TomTom 3?

Dave didnt include an example of the full postcode search in the review images. If you chack out the GO software review you will see the full 7 digit postcode shown. Check out www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-5.php for the GO review. Everything you see there also applies to the PDA version.

The menus have been changed to a tap menu system
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob733 wrote:
Please excuse the dumb question, but I am a little confused. There is much talk about TomTom2 and 3. I just purchased TomTom Navigator 2004 for my Treo 650. It is coming Wednesday (2/16/2005). What is V2 and V3? I dont see them listed in the TomTom site under personal navigation.

How does 2004 figure in with the upgrade to V5. I have gone to the TomTom web site and all I see are products TomTom Navigator 2004 for Palm and PC..... nothing about 2 or 3.

Please advise as I will not open up the 2004 when I get it if an upgrade is not possible because it is not version 2 or 3 (whatever they are?)

Thanks

The version you are buying is TomTom Navigator for Palm. This is effectively version 4.4.

What TomTom are saying is that you will get a free upgrade of the application to version 5.0. Your map data will be older. As you are buying a new version you could wait for about 6 weeks for the new version, or take the existing version and upgrade the application.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Europe routing Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
I have the European maps version of Navigator 3, so don't have the major roads of Europe.

Does Navigator 5 offer anything to help cross border navigation and route planning. Map stitching or something equivalent maybe.

Be interested to hear how this new version improves on the old in this respect, if anyone knows.

Cheers.

When you upgrade you will get a new set of maps. These will include the Major roads of Europe this will allow you to route across borders to any town that is covered by the maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: