Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC-Mobile Y-Charge Cable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC-Mobile Y-Charge Cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: PC-Mobile Y-Charge Cable Reply with quote

Some of you may have seen some messages between PC-Mobile and myself here over the past week about a new Y-Cable allowing you to power two devices at once, eg 2xPocket PC's or 1xPocket PC and 1xEmtac BTGPS.

Mike and myself have been testing this new cable over the past week and it's not only of good build quality like all the other PC-Mobile cables, it works extremely well! We've been testing it with a standard desktop charger, and both devices charge at the same time!

The new cable is available from PC-Mobile (look for the DC Power Y Cable - CODE PPY2) and it's only $7.50!!! Each end is 50cm long, so 2 devices can be spread 1m apart. Check out the cable below!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/frontnews/ycharge1.jpg">
Piet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: PC-Mobile Y-Charge Cable Reply with quote

Hello, any of you know if this can also be used with an in-car charger? I have an IPAQ 3970 and an EMTAC...

Thx

Piet
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It can, but I believe the voltage you'll get would be less with most in-car chargers, so it may not work as well. I believe from talks I've had with Ronald at PC-Mobile, if you were to use their in-car charger that pushes out more power, it would work well.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Most car chargers should work. The device needing more current is the PDA (300-500mA minimum), BT GPS probably consumes 150-200mA. So if your charger outputs at least 500mA, it should be enough to work.

I am sure most car chargers output more than that.

Of course both devices must have the same (or near) voltage input. In the case of the Ipaq and EMTAC, they are both 5v. So the voltage output of the car charger must be 5v or thereabout.

We tested with our Car USB Adapters (750-850mA), powering 2 PPCs the same time without problem.

A bit of warning for those buying cheap car chargers (particularly those for phones), the voltage output may not be what it is supposed to be. I would take a measurement with a mutimeter just to make sure. If the current output is not enough, there is no harm done as the worse is that it does not work. If the voltage output is too high (many can be 7-8-9-10 volts!), there may be damage to your device.

mark_p
Occasional Visitor

I have a Compaq iPAQ car charger, and on checking it is rated at 5v 2A output!!!

So I have just ordered the Y-cable to run my iPAQ and EMTAC.
Piet
Occasional Visitor

Hello Mark, where did you buy your charger? There seem to be two types for the ipaq 3970:

one that is in one piece, and one that consists of a cable with a standard 5 V plug + an extra adapter to adapt to the 3970's special power input. Do you need the latter to be able to use pc mobile's cable?

mark_p
Occasional Visitor

Piet,

I bought mine from expansys and it is the 'proper' 'official' compaq type. Although it was more expensive, I selected that type because it comes with a barrel plug and flat adapter, so that way I can connect it to the iPAQ (with adapter) or my EMTAC (without).
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

As far as I understand, the "barrel plug and flat adapter" and the AC adapter with such connector is SUPPLIED with every Ipaq.

Or is it not?

Piet
Occasional Visitor

Yes, you are right, i just checked... i thought i needed it to power the usb docking cradle, but it's just dangling there without being used... Won't be dangling there for long anymore, though ;-)
RobMob
Regular Visitor

I am trying to get my head round how I can use this to charge both the Ipaq 3970 and Emtac BT both that the same time in the car. I currently have a flat end charger that plugs directly into lighter socket in the car - this cable does not appear to have a lighter connector at the end. I can see that I would need the barrell to flat end connecter attached to one of the split Y cables and then attach this to the ipaq and the other cable to barrell fitting appear as though it would fit directly into the emtac - but what about at the other end - do I need to buy a connector that fits on the end of the Y cable and then into lighter socket?

Thanks

RobMob
Dave
Frequent Visitor

To use this cable, what you really need is a 3600 car charger, Expansys sell these or I think PC-Mobile. Once you've got that, you plug the barrel end into the socket barrel end on this Y-Charge cable. You've then got two barrel plugs, the first you could plug directly into the Emtac/Socket BT GPS, and the other cable you would then use the 3600 to 3800 connector (again Expansys sell these if you've lost one), and this will get you powering/charging the iPAQ 38/39/54 and also the Emtac/Socket BT GPS.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: