Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Emtac GPS - Wrong Position?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Emtac GPS - Wrong Position?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Emtac GPS - Wrong Position? Reply with quote

I've just "upgraded" from a Navman 3000 to an Emtac Bluetooth GPS. This works great and is much faster to get a fix. However, the fix it gets seems to be all over the place. I'm in the city today, but have got a fix on 5 sats at one point, but the fix was about 150m north of where I was.

So is this because I'm in the city it's got a bit confused? I never managed a decent fix with my Navman up here so I can't compare. Or do I need to calibrate it in any way? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Regards

Andy
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Emtac GPS - Wrong Position? Reply with quote

One of the problems of achieving accurate fixes in a city is that the GPS signals are bouncing all over the place off the tall buildings the units try thier best to cancel out the errors, but cant always succeed. If you have a good fix in the suburbs and move into a city centre then the position is normally OK.

Quite often when you get a slightly off position returned the software you are using tends to try and place you on the nearest road. This can often compound the error. In my back of my house the TomTom software often cant make up its mind if I am in my road or the ione behind me.

You certainly do not need to calibrate either your device or your PDA software.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

I think patience is not one of my virtues.....

I tried it at home last night and on my way to tescos.

It seems to hop around a bit when stationary for the first minute or so, even if it has a fix. Does it tell you it has a fix and then slowly adjusts this until it's entirely happy? When Mobile it's spot on all the time, and also after about 1-2minutes of standing still.

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: