Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 3.075 Ireland maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 3.075 Ireland maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
efedora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Destinator 3.075 Ireland maps Reply with quote

I have the older version of D3 - 3.065. The European maps are very good except for Ireland. The Ireland maps are terrible. Very little detail outside cities and some parts show no roads at all. I have heard that this is because the Irish Govt. wants excessive license fees to use the Ordnance Survey maps so NavTech is making their own.
Can anyone who upgraded to 3.075 tell me if the Ireland maps are any better than the older versions?
Also, can anyone suggest PDA GPS software that will provide better maps for Ireland?
Thanks
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the newer version will help as there are no new maps for it (other than North America). Let me have some examples of missing places to navigate to and I will check though.
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the maps you get with 3.0.75 full up-grade are newer, obviously you pay, I think Navteq Q3 2004. I don't know about Ireland as have never travelled there but UK is better eg has M6 toll and other new bypasses near me
falls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l updated to 3.0.75 the lreland maps are much improved.
Drinksbud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps in 3.075 are a little better. Dublin maps are a little better but the database doesnt reflect the level of detail in the map. Lots of places that are shown on the map are not in the search database. The m50 does not go as far as leopardstown. Coverage in the big towns is a little better but the rest of the country is the same as 3.0.65 . On the whole the program routes much quicker than the previous version but ireland is disappointing. I use D3 in Dublin eveyday but we need better coverage for ireland.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Navteq maps of Ireland have the primary and secondary roads mapped. Only about 15 towns/cities are fully mapped. Other towns (eg Carlow) have main roads and connecting roads marked but the street mapping is incomplete.

Garmin's Mapsource City Select Europe v7 uses the up-to-date Navteq maps and they have an online viewer that you can use to check out the map detail:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/

You may also want to have a look at Mapopolis which uses Navteq maps and has a free demo available. http://www.mapopolis.com/

Don't buy CoPilot, the maps are up to date but the software is seriously buggy.
efedora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Lots of help. I'm particularly interested in Southwest Ireland and that seems to be the area that is poorly mapped.
I've heard that all Ireland GPS maps are bad because the Ordnance Survey will not sell the mapping data at a reasonable price. It's cheaper for Navtech et al to do the mapping themselves.
efedora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that Destinator now sells both Navtech and Tele-Atlas maps.
Can anyone tell me which map vendor has the best map coverage of Southwest Ireland?
Thanks
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efedora wrote:
Can anyone tell me which map vendor has the best map coverage of Southwest Ireland?
Thanks

I think Navteq has the best coverage at the moment but it is changing all the time. You might be best to speak to a dealer and ask for a demo so you can check the coverage yourself.

I don't know why Ireland took so long to get mapped, the lack of affordable maps from government sources would only be part of the story. Navteq actually drive all the roads to create their maps. (Virtually no maps available contain all the road information that Navteq/Teleatlas require).
amdaley28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

efedora wrote:
Thanks

Hello.
I just checked the Mapopolis demo version of Co Kerry.It only has the main roads.The map of Cork is very good with street addresses etc.Overall Mapopolis seem to only have the main towns properly mapped.
I have an Ipaq 3870 & a Bluetooth receiver.I was also looking for map software to use in Ireland & UK.Looks like we are out of luck for the moment in regards to anything outside the main towns of Ireland.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: