Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any satellite images available?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any satellite images available?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Any satellite images available? Reply with quote

Are there satellite maps available to use with MM? Might be nice to switch between a topo and sat. image. Preferabley something that is'nt outrageously priced.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the terraserver images in the US, and the canadian sat images in Canada.

But you will need to use Ozi Explorer or other non-proprietory map viewers.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Nolo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the US, you can download USGS DRG aerial photos, which will open directly in Memory Map. The coverage is 4 photos per 1:24,000 quad. Most state universities archive these for download, you have to do a bit of googling to find them. Bear in mind that these are pretty big files, you can end up with about 200 mb for a 1:24,000 quad. They compress down after convered to the memeory map format. I've put aerial's on my PDA and tracked the route while I'm driving for kicks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM sell Aerial Photographic maps of the same areas as their 1:50000 maps.
findeep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Global Land Cover Facility Reply with quote

If you go to the the following site and use the map search - you can download a variety of satellite imagery for free:

http://glcfapp.umiacs.umd.edu:8080/esdi/index.jsp

use the map search tool - zoom in on the specific area then use the rectangular select tool to highlight. Choose the imagery type on the LHS (I've been choosing Landsat - but if anybody knows of any better let me know) then underneath the map select 'geotiff' in the LHS column and then preview. You'll see a sample of the imagery in the top left pane and where that imagery is in relation to the selected area in the top right pane. Click on each of the returned files in the middle until you get the coverage you want and then hit download in the top middle section. Complicated I know but I got going in about 10 minutes. A seperate window opens with .gz archives and a preview jpg just right click and save. WARNING they are large files - one is usually in the region of 120MB. Once downloaded, decompress and copy to your memory map mapping folder and the do Maps/refresh in the application and it should appear in the list. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: