Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Charging the EMTAC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Charging the EMTAC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Charging the EMTAC Reply with quote

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn’t find a definitive response (or if there was I didn’t understand it) regarding the power supply to the EMTAC units.

Can I use my standard iPAQ 3970 mains charger and also the iPAQ 3970 car charger to power/charge the EMTAC receiver ? They appear to have the same plug and output voltage?

If they are not suitable what is the recommended car charger and mains adaptor to use?

Many thanks

Simon

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Charging the EMTAC Reply with quote

Yes you can. Well, atleast Socket say you can, and I believe EMTAC say you can't. There's no difference in the models, just different distributors.

I'm using an old 36xx desk charger and this is working okay.
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

We are not completely sure whether the following is true, but based on our research before we bought our equipment about 4 weeks ago, there seem to be 2 versions of the Emtac and/or Socket Bluetooth receiver on the market. So far as we know, the actual GPS unit is the same. One is generally marketed under the "Emtac" brand and we think it comes with a mains charger. The other is generally marketed under the "Socket" brand. This is what we bought and it comes with a car charger and cables that can power the iPaq and the GPS receiver simultaneously. We bought ours from MobileDataDirect. (Beware, we found one company - I think it was Expansys - that was selling a "Socket Bluetooth GPS" which did NOT come with this car charger.)

We have used the car charger very satisfactorily. We have both units plugged in when we are using them in the car. This means that there are several cables dangling around, but we don't mind that. We have bought an iPaq CF sleeve with supplementary battery, partly to get the longer battery life, and have never yet got close to running the batteries down. I think it's true to say that you could have both the iPaq and Bluetooth GPS running for at least 5 or 6 hours on battery power, if you wanted.

We have not tried using the iPaq mains charger to power the Socket Bluetooth GPS but certainly the plug looks right and I assume the voltage and polarity must be the same, so I imagine there would be no problem. It's just that we have seen no need to do this.

I hope this helps.

Hugh
aero
Regular Visitor

Global Positioning Systems sell the Emtac BT CruxII GPS Receiver with the mains charger, but no in-car charger. I bought an ipaq 3600 series charger for the car - but haven't tried it yet.

The price was £212.75 inc VAT and no delivery charge. Good price methinks.
SJTaylor
Occasional Visitor

Buffy,

"(Beware, we found one company - I think it was Expansys - that was selling a "Socket Bluetooth GPS" which did NOT come with this car charger.)"

I bought the Socket branded version from Expansys and it came with the car charger and Y-adaptor.

The IPAQ mains charger powers the Socket fine. They're all 5 volt DC so you can't really have a problem. Manufacturers nearly always say not to use another manufacturer's unit: a) To make you buy theirs b) To clear them of any blame in case anything goes wrong.

Skeletal
Occasional Visitor

I have a Compaq 3970, and the Socket version of the GPS receiver. I use the Socket Y adaptor for both devices in the car and the Compaq's mains power supply for the Socket with no problems (charging the batteries is one thing I have managed to do!!).

I am less certain of using the Y adaptor to enable me to charge the Compaq and Socket, from the mains at the SAME TIME. This is because you would be "forcing" current in the wrong direction into the car charger as you can't separate the "Y" from the charger. It may be OK, but I'm not going to risk it without knowing the Socket charger's circuitry.

Not too much of a hardship, just have to charge one then the other!

Skeletal
Nobby
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the views and advice. I now feel a lot happier plugging my iPAQ charger into the EMTAC.

I have to say that I am well pleased with this little unit. Works great in the car and performs well even when chucked into the outer pocket of my rucksack while walking the streets of London.

Thanks

Nobby
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 10 April 2003

Yes you can. Well, atleast Socket say you can, and I believe EMTAC say you can't. There's no difference in the models, just different distributors.

Hi Dave,

Did the y cable we sent you come into play with this?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ronald, sorry meant to send you an email the other day. I've been using the Y cable with a Comapq clone (PHIHONG) desk charger outputting max 10W, (DC +5V, 2A) and it works a treat. I've been charging my 3870 and the Socket BTGPS at the same time.
Stoneghost
Occasional Visitor

(Beware, we found one company - I think it was Expansys - that was selling a "Socket Bluetooth GPS" which did NOT come with this car charger.)

I ordered my Socket BTGPS from Expansys and the car charger WAS included!!! I would also like to say they are one of the best companies I have dealt with over the previous months.

Stoneghost

iPAQ 5450, Socket BTGPS
TimB
Occasional Visitor

Dear PcMobile

I too would like to have a Y cable that allowed me to simultaneously charge a socket GPS and an Ipaq 3970 using the mains charger that came with the Ipaq.

Is there a reference number so that I can find it on your website? Your comment to Dave suggests it may be a one off tailor made thing!

Yours

TimB

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 10 April 2003

Dont Panic. Some time ago I pu this question to Emtac, and they said any charger that powers the iPaq can also power the BTGPS. I was initially concerned as the documentation implied that you couldn't. But the Emtac guys from the UK told me it was OK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: