Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest features
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest features

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanGleebitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Quest features Reply with quote

Something of interest to Quest owners is that if you download the head unit software update (which takes it to v3), some undocumented features appear.
1) If you press and keep down the speaker button while the unit is on, you will get a volume control which will come in very useful for those who want to devise their own audio connections/mount. I found that the volume on mine was set at about threequarters of the way across, so I turned it up full and it gave a lot more available volume from the lollipop (the power adapter/speaker unit). This may be useful for those in diesel vans where noise levels are higher.
2) Instead of just pressing the Power button to start-up, if you hold down the Power and OK buttons together, the unit will display a full diagnostic screen complete with battery voltage, button tester and ambient temperature! - who knows, perhaps the temp feature is usable on the marine mount, which has 6 connectors on it's plug instead of the 4 in the car one. Press and hold Power to shut down again.
3) There is another feature but it is very dangerous and I only mention it in case some of you are prompted to experiment with other key combinations when starting up. Do NOT hold Power and Find when starting up, it will move your map pointer to Garmin HQ in the US, change your time zone and datum settings among other things, and erase all of your saved items in routes, locations, waypoints etc etc. Very scary.
Number6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Quest features Reply with quote

DanGleebitz wrote:

3) There is another feature but it is very dangerous and I only mention it in case some of you are prompted to experiment with other key combinations when starting up. Do NOT hold Power and Find when starting up, it will move your map pointer to Garmin HQ in the US, change your time zone and datum settings among other things, and erase all of your saved items in routes, locations, waypoints etc etc. Very scary.

I did this within about an hour of getting my Quest but not by holding down the keys. I selected 'clear all user data' from the menu and it did exactly as stated above and it's really scary 8O I can't remember how I reset it and I don't want to try to find out again!
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good finds and thanks for passing the info on. :D
ayresmas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good finds! Thank you all courageous people. I will try the non-dangerous shrort-cut extra features! Bye!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: