Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 2610 MapSource registry issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 2610 MapSource registry issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerhofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Garmin 2610 MapSource registry issues Reply with quote

Got my new 2610 today and am having registry issues with the Mapsource software. At the very end of the MapSource software installlation, I received an error dialog box concerning a registry issue. However, the installation wizard allowed me to finish out the installation.

When I try to open MapSource, I receive an error dialog box saying that there is a proble with the registry and it will not let the program open.

Anyone else have this issue?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you install MapSource I'm guessing you're running either Windows XP, 2000 or NT ? If so, make sure you are logged in as the Administrator user, or if you are logged in as yourself, make sure you have administrator rights to write to the registry. If you have created separate user accounts say in Windows XP they may not have registry rights. If in doubt, give them admin rights for the duration of the install.

Failing that you may have a corrupt registry, and you'll need to call Garmin UK to try and fix it.
jerhofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

I am using XP and am logged in at the administator user. I have tried this installation on two different computers with the same results. I have version 6.01 and downloaded and installed the 6.5 upgrade which did not solve the problem. As you say, it must be a corrupt registry. I was hoping to use the 2610 this weekend, but Garmin's US support is only available during the week. I will call them Monday.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm truly hoping Garmin have experienced this problem before and will have a known work around like deleting a Garmin branch of the registry. However, if it is just a strange corruption in your registry they may not be able to resolve it.

Have you got access to another PC you could install the maps onto ?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 2610 MapSource registry issues Reply with quote

jerhofer wrote:
Anyone else have this issue?

Yeah, I had some home made Garmin maps installed once and Mapsource choked on it. I would suggest that you consider deleting the Mapsource registry keys and try reinstalling.

I suppose I should insert a disclaimer about messing about with your registry here, nah. Good luck! 8O
jerhofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the program on both of my computers with the same results. If nothing else, hopefully they can send me the latest CD's that hopefully have the problem corrected.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now that would suggest if you're experiencing the problem on two separate PC's that you have something installed that's blocking access to the registry. Something like a personal firewall like Zone Alarm or Norton Internet Security, or some other antispyware/firewall software that's installed on both PC's, perhaps even Antivirus software.

I would check this first before calling Garmin as experiencing this problem on two PC's would be extremely unlikely and Garmin would have announced a problem if there were a problem with the CD's in general terms which required an update due to a corrupt set of install programs.
jerhofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about this possibility and had uninstalled Norton Antivirus which made no difference. Today I turned the firewall off, uninstalled Spybot and turned off the GadZilla pop up preventer software. I even removed my wireless card. I then used Mapsource software to first completely remove the program. When I tried to install the program after all of this, I had the very same registry issues. Still no go. I will call Garmin tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry
jerhofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took two calls, but Garmin solved the problem.

I had previously installed service pack 2 and, according to Garmin, it is very picky about changes to the registry. I had to go into the registry permissions area and choose to have control over registry entries. Garmin then e-mailed me a registry entry that I installed and everything worked.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm glad Garmin managed to fix it for you, certainly an interesting resolution!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: