Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cheapest/best setup with EMTAC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest/best setup with EMTAC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Cheapest/best setup with EMTAC? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have just decided to get a GPS system for travel (I regularly go for 3 day weekends to the continent) and after doing some research the Emtac bluetooth looks like a good thing. Small, light and I wouldn't be attached to one platform.

Can anybody give me tips on the cheapest and/or best way to get going? I was thinking of getting a bluetooth card for my lappy and just using that (I have microsoft map-point). I would of course have to buy a car adapter for the lappy (approx £55) and the bluetooth card (£20 or so).

Do the Ipaq etc have voice navigation? I really want this function.

Is map-point rubbish? I haven't seen anyone mention it.

I don't have a PDA so really have to start from scratch.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Cheapest/best setup with EMTAC? Reply with quote

Must be a stupid question .... oh well, i am posting this so this thread is not the only one with 0 replys ;)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Not wanting to put you off here, but unless you're looking to use something like Route 66 then you're not going to get much out of the PC. I haven't tried Map Point but I have tried AutoRoute (not sure what the differences are?) If you've can afford up to £600 then I would suggest you go for a Pocket PC setup with a Bluetooth enabled Pocket PC and an EMTAC Bluetooth receiver. You will need to purchase maps aswell, but the Pocket PC systems have full voice navigation and re-routing capability and also show Points Of Interest which I don't think you're going to find as good on a PC. I think you'll find a laptop pretty bulky in-car unless you're the co-pilot and have it on your lap.
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

I have been doing more research since I posted that and have pretty much answered my own questions ;).

It looks like I am not going to be able to do this on the cheap, I'm quite surprised how expensive it will be.

1. Pocket PC (loox) ~£350

2. Bluetooth GPS ~£240

3. Car chargers ?? ~£50

4. Software (I was surprised how much the software was !!) over £100

etc etc !!

Oh well, you get what you pay for I guess.

Keep up the good work,

Dave
Dave
Frequent Visitor

A lot of people tend to go for the TomTom Navigator hardware bundle as for around £280 you get the receiver, software and car chargers.   This is the same for most GPS bundle packages, and only then leaves you to buy a Pocket PC and Dell do the Axim X5 for under £300.

TBH, your prices above are correct apart from car charger, as you'll get that with the Emtac and this will also power the Pocket PC at the same time, so you could remove this, but you would most probably want a car mount to put the Pocket PC into which would cost around £50.
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

I have checked out the X5 and it doesn't have bluetooth. I think I will go the pure bluetooth route and take the long term view that bluetooth will enable me to use them for longer (although I take the cost hit initially).

BTW, I am going to get a Compact flash card, will 256meg be enough? I understand that a whole country map will be 200meg but of course I will need extra space for other applications, documents etc. How much memory do you use?

Steve.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It doesn't, but you can add a Bluetooth CF card. Personally I like the original iPAQ 3800/3900 series look, and you can pick these up quite cheap now if you look around for bargains.

128mb card will suffice for most maps, 256mb should be fine, especially if you want to store other things on it. TomTom's maps come in at just under 100mb, PowerLOC's UK maps come in at just under 200mb and CoPilot's, well you'd have to use their CF card version anyway if you buy the software only version.
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

I have been checking CF v SD card prices, you can get 3gig CD cards now !! CF looks like half to 1/3 the price of SD. If I added a CF bluetooth card I would then have to buy a decent SD card .... I guess it all depends on what kind of expandabilty I want. 3 gig in a PDA ??? good for MP3's I guess but I have a 20 gig iPod.

Too many choices !!!

Steve
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I'm running 5gb PC Card plus a 128mb SD card.
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

I guess you can never have enough disk space! Smile

Now bluetooth for the iPod, that would be a good thing!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: