Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest input voltage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest input voltage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Quest input voltage Reply with quote

I know the Quest, like most Garmins will work on 12 volts using the supplied speaker / power lead, but what is the voltage supplied to the unit?

I don't require the voice / speaker on my motorcycle so I looking to hard wire it straight into the 12 volt supply, but I suspect it may be stepped down by the Garmin speaker plug.

Anyone know?
or10n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it's 5 Volts.

Regards,
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual on Garmin's website, it's "12/24v DC with car adaptor up to 36v".

I don't know exactly what they mean by that. Maybe they mean "12 or 24 volts with a hard wired input or up to 36 volts when used with the car cigarette lighter adaptor".

My GPS-V is supposed to accept an input voltage of 12-36 volts and you can get bare wire cables (ie no step down) so you don't have to use the lighter adaptor. I suspect that the Quest is the same and it will run fine when hard wired into a 12v supply.

Maybe you could contact Garmin for clarification though, you don't want to cook the GPS! 8O
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what Garmin mean but what they have badly worded is that their adaptor is suitable for 12 and 24v volt input and therefore compatible with both cars (which are 12v) and trucks (which are 24v). However, the step down device they use is safe for inputs of up to 36v.

Solid state electronic devices do not react kindly to over voltage inputs. I would not recommend hard wiring a Quest to anything other than a 5v supply.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL wrote:
Solid state electronic devices do not react kindly to over voltage inputs. I would not recommend hard wiring a Quest to anything other than a 5v supply.

It's more than co-incidental that Garmin specify a maximum input voltage of 35 volts for their GPS units which is exactly the same as the Vmax for the Fairchild 78xx series voltage regulator which is very very widely used. I would speculate that the GPS uses a 78xx series voltage regulator internally and thus could be powered by any DC voltage from 12-35 volts.

Many Garmin units use wires only cables and specify a 12-35 volt DC power supply. Why would the Quest be any different? I very much doubt that the cigarette lighter adaptor contains the voltage regulator, I think the regulator is inside the Quest unit.
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logical enough stuff but incorrect I'm afraid. Having been inside the Quest speaker/power source adaptor I can confirm this unit outputs 5.0v to the Quest as measured with a multi-meter.
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multimeter and 5 volts 'eh...........I suspected as much.

Garmin could be a little more clear about this in the handbook.

Going to make the wiring job a little more difficult me thinks, not to mention the questionable mounting associated with the Quest.

Thanks for your comments guys.

BJ Nottingham
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I got bored with the poor sound quality from the Quest speaker I decided to bypass it and hard wire to the auxiliary input of my car's radio - easy enough, works great. I also got bored with the lollypop (as this forum has now named it) sticking out of the 12v socket so disposed of that too. So, the Quest runs only on its internal battery which is fine as I don't leave it in the car for the local pond life to nick and just connect it up to the house 240v at the same time as my phone. In my experience the battery will last around eight hours on a full charge as long as you keep the illumination level down to a sensible level. In daylight that clearly isn't a problem. On a recent canal cruise it ran quite happily dawn to dusk sat on the cabin top fully operational. No problem. So unless you are one of these 24/7 motorcycle courier types, charge it up, stick it on your bike and ride off into the sunset...
Number6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I assume the Marine mount and motorcycle mount (out next week?) with bare wires, have a voltage regulator built in somewhere?
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. Just stating what I've found...
DEF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding operating voltage for the Quest, have a look at the output voltage and current on your charging cradle wall transformer. It states the output is 5V, 1 amp. One can assume this is DC out. The Garmin likely always sees the onboard Li battery for power.

Finally, GArmin has a motorcycle cradle with power and audio wires (bare). See their website.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: