Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorcycle mount and data entry
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcycle mount and data entry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrclaypole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Motorcycle mount and data entry Reply with quote

Hi,

A few odd requests I know. I am about to buy a Quest - I think, but have two slight concerns. I have read that entering the desired address can take a long time. Is this true? Is it similar to the Etrex where you have to select the letters of the alphabet using a scroll key?
Plus, anyone used the motorcycle mount on a Honda Translap? I am not sure there is a enough bar to attach the bracket to
If anyone would strongly advise the TomTom Go over the Quest please let me know before I spend £300 odd on a piece of kit that disapoints.
The screen looked big enough in the shop but not sure about in the car?
Oh Yes and does the suction bracket vibrate alot?
Sorry for all the Q's but new to all this
Cheers
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have to assign letters of an address using the scroll key. I guess it's a matter of preference. I don't find it an issue at all, others may.
The suction cup to the windsceen works well within the limitations of anything that cantilevers out from its mounting. I've found that if you apply a small piece of self adhesive foam to the underside of the Quest mount and then tighten all the adjustment so that the mount sits on top if the facia then the foam acts to absorb vibration and the Quest remains perfectly still.
or10n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As a fellow beginner (I've Had my Quest for 24Hrs.) I can confirm that it is a bit convoluted entering the addresses, although I suspect with practice I will improve. So far I have succeeded in entering a route (indoor mode) but since I also expect to use it on a motorcycle any operation whilst moving are a definite no no.

I have yet to work out a route using the map source software on the computer, which on the face of it should be much easier, One thing that I have yet to establish - how do you download a Route from the computer to the Quest??

Regards to all,
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle mount and data entry Reply with quote

Welcome both of you!

Mrclaypole wrote:
Is it similar to the Etrex where you have to select the letters of the alphabet using a scroll key?

Pretty much, yes. The only consolation is that it starts looking up the name as you enter it. It's still a bit fiddly though.

Mrclaypole wrote:
Plus, anyone used the motorcycle mount on a Honda Translap?

I don't know about the Garmin mount, but the RAM mounts work well and the u-bolt mount would fit the Transalp just fine.

Mrclaypole wrote:
If anyone would strongly advise the TomTom Go over the Quest. The screen looked big enough in the shop but not sure about in the car?

You don't want to use a TomTom Go on the bike - it's not waterproof. Garmin units are very robust and designed for outdoors so they are a far better choice for bikers.

As for the screen size, yes they are small and it is difficult to see a complete route on the screen, however you don't really need to look at the complete route. What you are interested in is the bit of road you are on right now and which way you are going at the next intersection - it is quite adequate at displaying that.

or10n: To send a data to your device, just plug it into your PC and click on the send to device button or select "Send to Device" from the transfer menu. You can send maps, waypoints, routes or tracks to and from your GPS.

Good luck!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to mounting a Quest on a motorbike, check out http://www.ram-mount-uk.com and look at the Quest Cradle. If you attach this to a RAM-B-149Z arm (this will have a U-bolt mount) and allow you to attach it to nearly any bike, or you could go a different route and screw it down using a different base/ball.
quest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had mine for 7 days. At first I had your concerns.... but with use, the unit is logical and fast.

Map transfer - very easy - honest!!! - just select map area and download it. A one minute operation. The download will take 10 mins or so.

Motorbike mount - I bought a pushbike clamp(£20) and then used elastic bands to clamp the quest holder to my VFR800 - works very well with no vibration. Garmin are briing out a kit end of Feb to UK - price not confirmed.

The online manual is http://www.garmin.com/manuals/Quest_OwnersManual.pdf

Still trying to get POI software for speed camera. Someone mentioned for waypoints (the way speed cameras appear) you can get alerts as you appoach them - ANY IDEA ANYBODY and where I can download this software??

In summery - pleased so far..
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quest wrote:
Still trying to get POI software for speed camera. Someone mentioned for waypoints (the way speed cameras appear) you can get alerts as you appoach them - ANY IDEA ANYBODY and where I can download this software??

I don't think it is possible to use the Speed Camera POI alerts on a Garmin GPS. You can associate a proximity alert with waypoints on some GPS units like the GPS-V but it only takes a limited number of waypoints with proximity alerts (maybe 10?) so it isn't any use for speed cameras.

I don't think the Quest does proximity alerts at all. Crying or Very sad
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quest doesn't do proximity alerts other than for destinations
quest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote.............Perhaps it's possible????

If the Quest uses Garmin's .wpt format then Oldie's POIConverter V3 should do the trick. However, you can only store 500 waypoints on the Quest.
iPAQ 5555 ROM 1.10.10 ENG, 1Gb Lexar 32X SD Card
Navman SE sleeve, 4100 BT; SmartSTPro V1.96 EU, V2 EU & US, V3 EU

tjr
Forum Rank:

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:22 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used the POI converter to import the speed camera db into MapSource, where they appear as waypoints. From here you could upload them into the Quest. You can assign them a symbol, e.g. skull and crossbones so that you can see them on the map display. Because of the 500 waypoint limit you won't be able to load the entire database (3500+ gatsos, plus other camera types).

However unlike the PDA apps, you won't be able to get an alert as you approach the speed camera. You'd have to keep an eye on the screen. I decided not to bother, since having too many waypoint symbols in a small area makes the map too cluttered.
Number6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle mount and data entry Reply with quote

Mrclaypole wrote:
Hi,

Oh Yes and does the suction bracket vibrate alot?

Hi all, I found that the suction mount vibrated a lot in the car, so I removed the sprung pin and circlip from the rotatable part of the mount and replaced it with an M3 screw and nut. Much better now :D
Fil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a mount for my Quest and saw your link for the Ram version. There is one problem that I've found with that mount though.

If you drive in built up areas you stand a chance of some theiving git nicking your GPS when you pull up at a junction or lights. There dosnt seem to be any way to lock it into the cradle and youre going to have fun if someone takes a fancy to it.

I dont think your gonna have time to kick the sidestand down and fight them off at the same time ............
quest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you can get lockable mounts but are around £100....

However, what I did was to buy the push bike mount £20 and then put elastic bands holding this to my VFR around the handlebars. Works very well...Therefore, some skum would have problems trying to grab my beloved Quest.

The link for the lockable mount is on this forum. Reply if you wish me to hunt it down.

The motorbike Garmin Mount is being released end of Feb and price not confirmed
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Fil

Fil wrote:
There dosnt seem to be any way to lock it into the cradle and youre going to have fun if someone takes a fancy to it.

My bike will do 0-100 MPH in under 10 seconds. Anyone who tries to nick my GPS had better be able to run very, very fast. Twisted Evil

Seriously though, my GPS-V has a hook you can use to attach a safety strap in case the mount falls off. Does the Quest have a similar device?

Risk wise, you could also get your GPS snatched from off your dashboard of the car while you are stopped in traffic, I don't think the risk of having it nicked off your bike is that much greater. Confused

The RAM mounts are fairly secure, you couldn't just yank it off either - you would have to loosen the adjustment handle first. By that time the thief would have gotten a taste of the kevlar reinforced knuckles in my gloves. Twisted Evil
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle mount and data entry Reply with quote

[/quote]
Hi all, I found that the suction mount vibrated a lot in the car, so I removed the sprung pin and circlip from the rotatable part of the mount and replaced it with an M3 screw and nut. Much better now :D[/quote]

Tried this - it works really well. Using a wing nut allows easy adjustment of the joint angle.
chapsworth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for motorcycle mounts try Touratech. I haven't got one yet but a couple of my friends use them.

Go on the website and ask for a catalogue. They have some great kit.
Simon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: