Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RECEPTION PROBLEMS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RECEPTION PROBLEMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerryburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: RECEPTION PROBLEMS Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have the following: -

Emtac Bluetooth receiver

Tom Tom 2

Ipaq 5450

over the last 48hrs i have had tremendous problems with satellite fixes on my set up (green light on constantly for minutes at a time) and i wondered if anyone else had been in this position.

i wondered if it was possbile to hard reset the device in case it has got 'confused' or if there are other areas i should examine.

thanks in advance for your help.

Kerry
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: RECEPTION PROBLEMS Reply with quote

This is strange a couple of you guys have reported similar issues. I have known the Emtac to get a little "confused" a couple of times, normally when switching the iPaq on and off.

Switching the GPS on and off should sort these issues out.
kerryburn
Occasional Visitor

Hi there,

thanks for the information, switching on and off seems to have no effect, i have re installed tonight and i will monitor to see whats happening.

one thought, does anyone think that this could be due to the Iraq situation????

Kerry
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

This is going to sound weird but it has helped me on three occasions. I have the Socket BT GPS and generally I get a fix on 5 to 7 SATs within 30-60 secs, in my car. However very occasionally, on very clear sunny days, in exactly the same position I would normally get a lock, the Socket just sits there not fixing, 5 mins and longer I waited no fix. Normally I put the Socket on the dash for initial lock and then move it to a holder on the side of the door once it has fixed. If when it doesn't get a fix I switch the air outake to my windscreen to v. cold, within 30 seconds I have a good strong fix. And it works fine after that, yeah real weird. I wouldn't beleive if it hadn't worked for me three times.

I don't why this works , I assume it is tied into the heated windscreen effect on GPS receivers, but not sure how. Anyway, don't know if this is of any help to you. But thought I would mention it.

Regards,

B

Skeletal
Occasional Visitor

Hi kerryburn

You may have been following my thread "New user having bother". My latest discovery is that holding the Socket GPS stops it working. I can also stop it working holding my hand above it, but not touching. I have emailed photos to Dave, (who has replied to my posts) to show the effect(he may be able to put them on this site). I have repeated this experiment several times now (although it is hard to believe...hence the photos!!).

Your cold windscreen effect is just as weird...unless the windscreen started off covered in mist. My pet theory at the moment is that a coating of water (or a body partly made of water i.e. my hand!) reduces signal strength. The wet bricks of my house cut out reception (I think!). My hand does. Try moving the GPS outside the car (but don't hold it). See what happens!

Damp Skeletal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: