Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for the suggestion and I tried it out today, but it didn't make any difference. For some reason, as soon as power is supplied to the cradle, the XDA II dials a WAP connection unless in flight mode. I am having no trouble at all with the unit now that Flight Mode works, but there does seem to be something not quite right.

All suggestions are more than welcome to see if this is a problem confined to a few XDAs and the CR-100 as other users seem to be getting on OK. It seems to be just me and Colin who have this issue at the moment.

Ian
kickstart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
I've done a bit more investigation over the last few days. This problem is caused by Activesync starting up and trying to establish a remote sync connection over WAP. It seems that putting power onto the cradle somehow causes Activesync to run. My XDA then attempts to make a WAP connection every 5 or 10 minutes. After power has been turned on to the cradle and I've cancelled the first Activesync attempt I've even gone into 'running programs' and killed Activesync completely only for it to start up again after another 5 to 10 minutes.
With flight mode turned on the mobile phone part of the XDA is turned off and Activesync can't make a connection.
I know it's not the XDA or the power source, it's definately the cradle as I've been using the XDA with a wired GPS running off the same cigarette lighter for months without problem. And then there is still the noise problem in the speakers caused by the induced RF radiation from the phone.
Pretty unsatisfactory situation I'd say.
Regards
Colin
IanD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin,

Funny you should mention ActiveSync as I noticed it coming on today again. I agree with you that this is where the attempt to connect is coming from. This is probably what Dave was hoping would stop if Use mobile schedule was unchecked.

Using my Bluetooth GPS, I've had no problem so I agree that the XDA II - Holux CR-100 combination has a problem in some cases which doesn't exist with other GPS methods. Pity, as it's a very neat solution to having a cradle and only one lead to power both the integrated GPS and the XDA.

Most users will be of traditional PDAs rather than Pocket PC Phone devices like the XDA, but it seems something may have slipped through the testing. I'm still waiting for a further reply from Holux to see if they can come up with any further solutions.

Ian
roxteddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if Holux do a version of the CR100 but without the integrated GPS reciever ??

I think the mount looks fantastic but i don't need the GPS with it.

I had a look on the HOLUX web-site and i didn't see one but wondered if i mssed it

TIA

rox
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not, the idea was to have the mount and GPS Receiver integrated together, so if you are looking for just a mount, then you will find it a little more expensive due to the cost of the GPS Antenna that's integrated into the mount.
gadgetgirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave
Good in depth review of the Holux. But ....... I need holders to be screw fixed into my vehicle (Land Rover) because other methods are just not strong enough. Also, hard wiring is so much better - well it worked for Lara Croft! I'm looking for permanent holders that will hard wire and fit my iPAQ 2210. This runs Tom Tom 3 via a CF GPS. Also my iPOD which currently sits on the passenger seat and has an aux wire from the back of the stereo and 2 mobile phones: 1 Ericsson T610 and 1 Nokia 6310i. If I was to use windscreen mounts, I wouldn't see the road for plastic Confused
Esther
roxteddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Unfortunately not, the idea was to have the mount and GPS Receiver integrated together, so if you are looking for just a mount, then you will find it a little more expensive due to the cost of the GPS Antenna that's integrated into the mount.

Thanks Dave

Shame tho' 'cause i really like the sound of it but i don't want/need the GPS so maybe just go Arkon ?

rox
roxteddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadgetgirl

i'm sure if you did a little surgery to ANY of the suction mounts, you could fabricate a way of screw-fixing them to your landy ??

shouldn't be very difficult ? Smile

rox
IanD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting problems with the XDAII and CR-100 combination. No reply from Holux yet so I don't know if they are looking at a solution. I've still found the only way to achieve success is to turn off the phone which defeats the point of having an XDA.

Colin (or anyone else) have you found any solution yet?

Ian
kickstart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Sorry I don't have an answer, I've actually given it up as a bad job.
Regards
Colin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone experiencing interference from the XDA/XDAII phone causing feedback through the CR100, Holux are aware of this but technically there is very little they can do. It's like placing your mobile phone very close to a speaker, for instance a car speaker, a hifi speaker, or leaving it close to a TV. The phone (depending on the network-more prominant noise is herd from TMobile, Vodafone and O2) will cause a burping noise or gargling type noise when placed near any speaker.

This is more down to the shielding in the phone than the speaker itself and has always been a problem with mobile phones, so although the CR100 will work with an XDA it will exhibit these problems if the GSM element is switched on.
IanD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Looks like you have been able to get some information from Holux. Do they have any ideas (or are they working on a solution) about the problem with the XDAII dialing up when power is applied to the CR-100?

The phone noise is understandable and not really a big issue compared with dialling up then crashing if Flight Mode is not engaged. It does seem to be some sort of ActiveSync related problem, but disabling Use Mobile Schedule doesn't help.

Any ideas you can get from them would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of the problem myself, but then I don't have an XDA/II. I suspect Holux are aware, but I'll see what I can find out. It sounds like it maybe more of a pin mapping issue to me.
jjasonuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: cr100 & XDA Reply with quote

can anybody please tell me what settings i should use in the XDA (not II) for the CR100. Cant get it to connect at the moment.

thanks
jj
jjasonuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry should have stated I am using the tomtom3 navigator software
thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: