Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigation for LGV/HGV
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigation for LGV/HGV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Navigation for LGV/HGV Reply with quote

I am soon going to be driving HGV's (appose to forklifts what I drive now) so I have bought a Dell x50v and TomTom Navigator 3.

As I have never had a HGV driving job before or a PDA I have a lot of questions and any help will be much appreciated.

Could someone please tell me if you can use this setup without having any knowledge of the roads (am I going to get lost if I go somewhere I have not been before only using TomTom Embarassed )?

Will it get you from A to B from door to door, or will it just take you near?

Does this software eliminate the need for a map?

What are the main problems with TomTom and driving HGV's?

Will it take you down roads that lorry’s can’t go down?

Is the PDA that I have bought any good for this job?

I have done some research into all of this but my research has brought me here. I have learnt a lot from reading the forums but some info. aimed at my own questions would be great.

Many thanks
Chris Hill :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom is pretty much ok except it doesn't have any HGV friendly options like avoid narrow turns etc. You can set the road speeds to prefer major highways - those tend to have wide turns ;-)

CoPilot Live has a special "RV" mode that takes this into account.

In any case the navigation system is merely an aid so you don't get lost. You have to keep judging road quality and suitability yourself.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g ill post back with some settings on saturday when i get home they should be ok for hgv use as they're the settings i used

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigation for LGV/HGV Reply with quote

G wrote:
Will it take you down roads that lorry’s can’t go down?

Definately.

As far as I know, TomTom doesn't really have a HGV routing mode. Other GPS programs like CoPilot and Garmin do have HGV routing mode though.

Don't forget that none of the systems on the market are 100% foolproof - - from time to time, it may also tell you to do a u-turn on a dual carriageway, go the wrong way down a one-way street or make an illegal turn. It's up to the driver to decide if they want to do it or not. Wink

If it does direct you down an unsuitable road then ingore the direction and the software will calculate a new route for you when you miss the turn.

Also, if you use "Fastest" routing rather than "Shortest" then you will get routes based on major roads which would suit larger vehicles.
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your posts, its good to know there is someone there to help when all goes wrong.

Many thanks
:P
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi belive it or not youve probably got the best system at the moment there is nothing that is truck freindly aoround. but the is hope if you adjust the speed settings in the advanced properties tab the thing to rember it to set the speeds just below the hgv speed limits so for example and you coulduse these if you wish

motorway 53-54 most hgvs are set at this speed dispite what the speedo says

duel carrigeway 45 - 50

single carrigeway 35-40
etc
if you set the speeds you will get a warning up saying it can lead to slow routeing ive nopt yet had this problem it wont do door to door but will get you usually to within 50 yards

you will have to take care when driving and if it tries to take you down a weight limit then carry on and let it find another route its cheeper (i know this from experiance)
as for low bridges then id down load the low bridge poi from the database the list isnt complete but its getting there. the best thing you could do as well as using the tomtom is to get an AA truckers atlas this has all low bridges on most main roads and also get a good london A 2 Z as i would trust it in london on its own as theres so many wieght,height and width restrictions. also theres to many rat runs these are the only maps i now carry myself now

copilot 5 with rv mode it isnt really that good and doest really make that much difference to the routing so i couldnt recomend it

device Lumia 950 xl
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s really great to hear that you think I have a good setup. I found it very hard finding out what to get. I first was going to get TomTom Go but after a lot of research I come across this site. It has changed a lot for me and helped me more then you could imagine, it really is invaluable for people with no experience like me.

Thanks for all the advice, it’s helped allot.

One question though. When you are inputting the route info. what do you use? Is inputting the postcode the most reliable or does it not find some of them, especially when entering a business postcode.

Many thanks Thumbs Up
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually city and street work well for me though if you want full post codes then the aa navigator is the one to go for its nohwere as freature rich as tomtom but will do full post codes without addtional downloads or you could stick with tomtom and down load the postcode programe (personally i dont use it) as i can usually get close enough to the delivery

device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: