Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map updates?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map updates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LT4play
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: map updates? Reply with quote

ok, someone please explain how this works to me.

I read on the Navman website that the SmartST V3 maps were updated in 2004. How often are map updates made available by Teleatlas (who Navman uses for the maps, as I understand it)? Will there be a way that I, the end user, get map updates in the future?

Or are the newer maps only binded to a release, and I'll have to wait for a "future" V4, which I'll have to pay upgrade, to get newer maps.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, Navman have only released new maps with a new software version. If enough people ask then maybe they will shift strategy and release a map update within a software version's lifetime.

I'm sot sure how often TeleAtlas release new data, but in that the data is annotated Q1, Q2, etc., I'd hazard a guess at quarterly.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave has said in the past that TeleAtlas used to make quarterly releases like Navteq, but they've now gone to six monthly releases.

David
LT4play
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Navman today on this subject..And they weren't very helpful (IMO).

They said they do get updates from Teleatlas (didn't specify frequency). However, it is more complicated that just burning new map data onto a map CD and sending it out to the consumer. That the data needs to go through development, to be "programmed".

They are not sure what Navmans future plans are for map updates. If there would an add-on package, if there wouldn't be new maps until V4. "but it will definately be on the product page when there is something available".

Sad
m62-to-hull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Map updates Reply with quote

I contacted Navman's store by e-mail and was told that a new update might be available in April 2005. It would be advertsied on their online store.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: