Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newbie: Navman iCN-510 memory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie: Navman iCN-510 memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LT4play
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: newbie: Navman iCN-510 memory Reply with quote

I just ordered my Navman iCN-510 (US model) last night.
I want to get my memory card on order before it gets here.

I have read that SD is faster than MMC, so I plan to order SD.
(someone tell me if I am wrong?)

The Navman website seems to indicate a 512MB card is the maximum, but I see others on this forum saying 1GB will also work. Any problems experienced using 1GB cards?

I assume the Navman is never writing to the card? (i.e., do I care about write performance, or only read?)
Any good manufacturers recommended?
* I have found that PQI has good all-around performance.
* Kingston has good read performance, but slow write performance.

Is it worth getting an Elite/Ultra/etc brand card, or will the "regular" card have sufficient performance (if I buy the write brand)?

Thank You for any help you can provide!
I am exited to experience the world of GPS.
Brandon78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Kingston 512MB SD. I too was wondering if I should buy one of the faster ones, but since I got such a good price ($25 after rebate) on this one, I took a chance. It works fine. I can't imagine a faster card would be any better. It woulnd't make a noticeable difference.

As for the size, I only use 512 so I can't comment on if a 1G would work. However, many people do seem to be using them.

Good luck.
LT4play
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Navman website seems to indicate a 512MB card is the maximum, but I see others on this forum saying 1GB will also work. Any problems experienced using 1GB cards?

The guy at Outpost.com says that to use the 1GB card in the Navman, that I would need to partition it into two-512MB partitions. That the Navman would not access all 1GB of data at the same time.

Is this correct? If so, is there really any advantage of having a 1GB card instead of a 512MB card, other than having to not switch cards?
rentboi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using a 1gb lexar (32x) sd card in mine without any problems. i do not have any partitions on the card, just used it straight out of the box.

do remember to only select one or two maps as active at any time (in settings menu). at first i checked all the maps and the unit became extremely slow, especially when locating poi's; it also crashed a lot. a nice tech support person at navman usa stated that 1gb cards can be used, but don't have too many maps checked all at once; it's been running fine ever since.

good luck!

-alex
LT4play
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: newbie: Navman iCN-510 memory Reply with quote

rentboi: Thanks for your reponse.
Which 1GB card do you use?
Any comments regarding these other questions?

LT4play wrote:

I assume the Navman is never writing to the card? (i.e., do I care about write performance, or only read?)

Is it worth getting an Elite/Ultra/etc brand card, or will the "regular" card have sufficient performance (if I buy the write brand)?
larkshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using both a 1gb sandisk, and a 1gb fuji SD card in mine. (One has UK maps and Northern Europe), the other has southern europe on. No problems with either card

regards

David Low
rentboi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: newbie: Navman iCN-510 memory Reply with quote

I use a 1gb Lexar Media (32x) sd card. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00026KJ26/qid=1105074726/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl23/103-7224456-0727810?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00026KJ26/qid=1105074726/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl23/103-7224456-0727810?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846 I found its performance to be satisfactory.

Sorry but I have not tested any of the other cards, nor have I additional info on the write speed, although I suspect writing to the card would be at a minimum during actual use. But a faster card would shorten the time required for the initial loading of all the maps (took me about 2 hours, i think).

-alex

LT4play wrote:
rentboi: Thanks for your reponse.
Which 1GB card do you use?
Any comments regarding these other questions?

LT4play wrote:

firediver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: I am using a 1 GB pqi SD card Reply with quote

I have had my 510 less than a week but the system recognizes the 1 GB card and I have had no problems with it. I am using it in the NE USA.

The manual does say it will only handle a card up to 512 MB.

Performance seems fine.

outpost.com had a great deal on the GPS systems and the SD card
ICN 510 - $299 US
1 GB SD card - $65 US after rebate

They dont have it available for export but its still at a reasonable price now $329.

-Jason
jowook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon78 wrote:
I am using a Kingston 512MB SD. I too was wondering if I should buy one of the faster ones, but since I got such a good price ($25 after rebate) on this one, I took a chance. It works fine. I can't imagine a faster card would be any better. It woulnd't make a noticeable difference.

As for the size, I only use 512 so I can't comment on if a 1G would work. However, many people do seem to be using them.

Good luck.

Brandon78,
I'd appreciate, if you let me know where you got that one. $25 is pretty good deal.
Brandon78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one place:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-160-024&depa=7

They have it for $26 after rebate plus s/h.

The place I bought it has it for $44 now. I almost bought from Newegg and it now has the best price.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: