Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Palm for memory-map? 3rd Party application?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm for memory-map? 3rd Party application?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdignum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Palm for memory-map? 3rd Party application? Reply with quote

Memory Map tech support tell me that they plan to support palm devices in the future. Being a T3 owner I thought that this was really good news so good infact I bought the software. I am however starting to get the idea I will have to wait for this - a problem as I am inherently inpatient, and what is more may well have to pay significantly for such an upgrade.
My queries are:

Does anybody have any inside knowledge as to when and at what price palm support maybe?

Is anybody aware of a third party application that would enable memory map maps to be used on a palm device?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Regards

Mark
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very much suprised if Memory-Map would be allowed to produce a Palm version under the terms of the agreement they have with the OS. They could do so for MM2005 but not for 2004, and then the 2004 maps would not work with 2005.

This has been a real problem for people like me who have a number of different sets of maps in .qct format but have to have a number of PDA applications to run them.

This is not the fault of Memory-Map, but of the UK Ordnance Survey with their draconian attitude to public data.

Having said that the only application at the moment that is capable of reading the Memory-Map data is unfortunately Memory-Map.
mdignum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Thanks very much for your thoughts on this, I did n't realise the non compatability issue of upgrades. Does this mean that the only real option for Palm people is Fugawi. I have read reports that Fugawi is not very intuitive does anyone have experience or thoughts of this as an alternative to Memory-map.

Thanks again in advance.

Regards,

Mark
jsiegel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdignum wrote:
Does this mean that the only real option for Palm people is Fugawi.

www.outdoornavigator.com has been on the market for almost 2 years. It comes with all US data and will support all nautical international CD's in a couple of months. The software costs $19.95.
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdignum wrote:
Mike
Thanks very much for your thoughts on this, I did n't realise the non compatability issue of upgrades. Does this mean that the only real option for Palm people is Fugawi. I have read reports that Fugawi is not very intuitive does anyone have experience or thoughts of this as an alternative to Memory-map.

PathAway works very well (infinitely better than Fugawi) and can be used with scanned maps.

Interesting that a future Memory Map will support Palms. Thanks for letting us know.

Glenn.
[/url]
MissyC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more info on this, or alternative options for Palm T3 and UK & European maps much appreciated.

I recently got the midlands/Wales Fugawi map for Xmas, but map areas to Palm are limited to 1600 sq kms per map Rolling Eyes and which are approx 50+meg per map if in colour!

I'm still trying to work out how to get a Fugawi map onto the SD card in my Palm Confused (posted a thread in the Fugawi section).

I don't think Memory Map has the limitation on the size of a map area does it?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is the OS that stipulate the size of the map that is downloadable to the PDA to be something like 1600 sq KM, Fugawi have followed the rules MM hasnt. But keep quiet about that.

Fugawi have 2 distinct software packages on for the UK and one for everywhere else. Memory-Map on the other hand do produce 2 different packages, but they allow you to use commercial maps in both. The differences in the MM software are that you cannot calibrate/re-calibrate map data.

As far as a version of MM for Palm is concerned I am aware that there is a response in the MM Forum stating:
Quote:
Sorry, but we do not supply maps or software for the Palm operating system. Our maps only work on the Windows OS. We do intend to launch a version of the Memory-Map software for the Palm operating system but there is no timescale for this as yet.

But speaking with some of the guys from MM this weekend at the London Boatshow they were aware of the requirement, but not if or when a Palm version would be forthcoming. In fact I got a similar response to a number of other functional enhancements that I asked about.
MissyC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Interesting

Thanks for the reply. I'll persevere with Figawi and try to work out how to get maps onto the SD card without having t do a syncronise.... after 2 hrs it still hadn't completed.

C
mdignum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: memory map 2005 Reply with quote

I was rather hoping palm usability would be a feature of MM2005. Do we think their will be a MM2005? It needs to be an update and therefore have added functionality though I am getting the vibe that they are not being too pro active on this.
Is it really that tough to develop palm functionality? I would imagine the wheel is already invented and its just a matter of bolting it to the proverbial T3.

Come on Memory Map you lads could knock this together over a coffee break. I promise I will buy more of your 1:25K maps if you do.
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: memory map 2005 Reply with quote

mdignum wrote:
I was rather hoping palm usability would be a feature of MM2005. Do we think their will be a MM2005? It needs to be an update and therefore have added functionality though I am getting the vibe that they are not being too pro active on this.
Is it really that tough to develop palm functionality? I would imagine the wheel is already invented and its just a matter of bolting it to the proverbial T3.

Come on Memory Map you lads could knock this together over a coffee break. I promise I will buy more of your 1:25K maps if you do.

I like the look of Memory Map, and will certainly buy it - but not without Palm support. If and when they do produce MM2005, with Palm support, I'll pay up immediately.

Glenn.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: