Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying from USA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying from USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Buying from USA Reply with quote

Hiya..

Due to the cost differential, would it be possible to buy a 510 from the US with a UK map fitted?

Would the charger etc work in the UK?

Just a thought.........

The cost over there seems to be about £270 ($450-$500)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost certain that any Navman bundle you bought in the US would come with US maps and US charger. Having said that, it's not inconceivable that you could also pick up UK/European maps and a UK charger from the US.

A lot of chargers are now dual 110/240 voltage input, which would mean you only needed a US/UK adaptor to use the US charger, and UK maps can be had for £79 or £149 for the full 16 country European maps, according to a few e-tailers' websites I've seen.
Jeevan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: US version (less maps) = UK version (less maps) Reply with quote

I am interested in purchasing the icn-510 in the US.

Now, i understand that they will most likely come with the US maps and power supplies, which isnt a problem cos i can just get the UK equivalent over here and the price will still be cheaper overall.

However, are there any other issues i need to consider when purchasing the US 510 and using it here in the UK?

Is the US hardware exactly the same build as the UK version? And is it just the maps that differentiate the two?

And finally, if i do have any problems with the unit i.e. it is faulty, will Navman UK repair it even though it was purchased in the US?

Thanks
Jeevan
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Navman UK would not be willing to repair it because you are grey importing. Before purchasing it I would contact Navman UK.
Ghazi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just come back from Miami with a 510i that I paid $400 for, just over £200... besides the fact that the charger has a US plug (but will accept 220v power) and the voice has a US accent, there are no other differences. The US version also does not ship with a SD card - you have to get your own.

Hoewver, I am now at a loss as to where to find SmartST V3 maps fo the UK. I have a CD with the UK maps on it but I need a registration code. Which I would gladly buy, but the only official product seems to be "pan European" maps that have "major cities" only for the UK.

All I need to do is load the SmartST V3 UK maps and I will be there - but I can find no way of purchasing an unlock code.

if you learn how to do this please PM me.

Ghaz
jnmann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Buying 510 from US Reply with quote

U too have looked at buying the 510 unit from the US as it is far cheaper (isn't everything?) over there.
I've been told by the US dealers that UK maps will be available in March but they will be very expensive.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use v2 maps on the 510 which I already have on my 4410 bluetooth? Otherwise, does anyone know how much the UK map would be by itself and where it can be sourced?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can't use V2 maps on an iCN510; it was never designed for V2 maps. The EU mapset can be ordered from the Navman Store for £149.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: