Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just to confirm some iof the info on this product, I got a couple of them this morning,

First there is an error in the description at Lidl, it comes with a 256Mb Card not the 512Mb card described (Although a call to Lidl customer services will get your complaint registered and a free 512Mb Card)

The Unit IS 400Mhz running 2003SE

The Unit does have a 32Mb Flash Drive and the Falk Software is installed in there, but can be removed and replaced

The Unit works fine with TT3, (Just set the GPS to Com2 TT2 Serial)

All In all a nice little package, though I doubt I will use the Falk Software, will stick to TT3 on it

Richard
Jnr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Total newbie here to the world of SatNav and am really interested in this offer if they have any left.....

I do alot of travelling in Europe and have always made do with a paper map.

How easy was it to put the TomTom sofware on or what would you guys recommend for a good package???

Thanks
Jnr
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well I have just come back from my local Lidl's and have bought their latest GPS deal.

It's definitively a re-branded Mitac 168, but I'm trying to get more info as we speak about the unit. I also happen to have the Aldi's Medion GPS also next to me which is also a rebranded Mitac 168.

Running a comparison on both units between the Aldi and Lidl versions, at first the only differences are the facia outer casing design. The aldi's design is slightly more stilsih in my opinion, however the rest of the cases, the sides and the underneath and where all the sockets, and holes and buttons are, all the same.

THe packaging box from Lidl makes all sorts of claims, which I intend to see if tru or not.

Firts thing, Falk Navigator is preinstalled, which means in short that I can't see a way of removing this program as it is not listed in the "Remove Prgram" facilities under "settings". I presume this has been installed under the ROM memory. A little bit of a pain if you are considering upgrading to TOMTOM3 and want to remove Falk Navigator, as it's wasted space; however having said that, this is great for anyone who is quite happy simply using Falk Navigator, and never intends upgrading to TOMTOM.

If you go to "Settings" and click on "Memory", it does however say:

"Total main memeory 62.82MB" and Allocated to storage is 31.41MB and allocated to Program is 31.41MB, however Program already has 9.19MB in use with 22.22MB free. BUT Storage has 30.80MB free!

Next thing I did was to click on an icon called "Utility" found in "settings", this brings a really vague system information screen basically telling you, you have an ANUBIS TYPHOON unit, but no details regarding CPU ect... So i'm looking for a shareware program that can tell me more about the unit such as confirm the CPU speed ect.. If anyone can recommend somwhere that would be great.

One big annoyance between the Medion and the Falk ppc's is that the Falk has no GPS utility application. On my medion i simply click the "GPS" icon in "settings" to calibrate the machine, however the Flak offers no such application.

The Falk does say on the box that it is running a 400MHZ processor but I have no way of checking this right now, unless someone can dorect me to a prog that can check this?

Box also says "Newest Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE", but is this not what the medion has anyway?

Oh and the unit does only come with a 256MB memory card (SD) so why on earth was it advertised as coming with a 512MB Card???

Even more bizzare, on the side of the box it says:

"Technical data for pocket pc, 400MHZ Intel PXA 255 Processor, 64 MB Flash Rom, and 64 MB Ram."

Finally for now, it does also come with an external gps antenna that you could connect to the integrated one for better signal, and also it comes with a nice protective plastic cover, saving you from scratches ect... on your screen.
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got some more info, if you go into "start" "settings" "about"

it does confirm that the lidl falk system is using a later version of windows than the aldi's version. But still no confirmation on the CPU or wether Falk can be totally removed from the hardware and not the card...

Lidl's lists:

"Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition version 4.21.1088 (build 14132) copyright 1996 - 2004

Processor Intel(R) PXA255
Memory 62.82MB"

Aldi's lists:

"Microsoft Pocket PC Version 4.20.0 (Build 14053) copyright 1996 - 2003

Processor Intel(R) PXA255
Memory 62.79MB"

What difference this actually means, you tell me 8O
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaky

Yes you can remove the Falk Software, it is stored in the 32Mb Flash Memory Drive, you just select File Explorer go toMyFlashDrive and delete the Falk Programe from there

That will then leave you with a 32Mb Free FlashMemoryDrive, which if you want to you can install TomTom3 to using the registry hack,

The CPU reports at 400Mhz and the ROM Ram seems to be 64Mb/64Mb as claimed by the box, with 32Mb Rom being used by OS and the remaining 32Mb being the Flashdrive in use by the Falk Software,

By the way if you do remove the Falk software from the flashdrive, just copy it into a folder in your PC you can then put it back if you want (Although I assume its on the CDs as well)

Cheers

Richard
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also as for the claimed 512Mb card, it is a mistake, but Lidl have said if you complain to customer services on 0870 444 1234 they will supply a Free 512Mb SD Card as the system was advertised with it. You have the right to it as the unit was advertised as having it.

If you get stuck remving the Falk Software PM me and I will go through it with you

Richard
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RickH, you're 100% correct regarding the Falk software.

Also took your advice and rang lidl, very friendly apologised took my details, and said they would call me back with further details, no doubt they will probably take my receipt number ect.. but i'm sure they'll sort the problem out.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaky,

Lidl seem to be very resonsive at sorting out errors, so don't expect you will have a problem,

How are you getting on with the unit so far, I was not impressed with the Falk Software, but then I am a bit of a stick in the mud with TomTom!

At Least TT3 went on easy, just have to remember to change the Settings to Com2!

I am glad I missed the Aldi offer a couple of weeks ago now, I was kicking myself at the time as I was looking for a new system and normally catch the aldi deals, but now I am glad I didn't the extra CPU speed and the 32Mb Permenant Memory are a real bonus, (Alos the 512Mb Card when Lidl supply it will be good)!

Cheers

Richard
colinwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the lidl product include an audible directions.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes it comes with Voice Files for all major european languages,

Its really not a bad package, but I just prefer to stick with what I know and use most (TomTom)

Cheers

Richard

PS: An added bonus if you have a car with a windscreen that blocks the Sat Signel, it also comes supplied with an external antenna that plugs into the back of the unit (So you are not totally reliant on the internal antenna) something which seems an extra on most packages
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickH, yeah I also ditched Falk Navigator, I'm sure it's a great piece of software but like you, I prefer TOMTOM, and its icon menus and speed camera database integration.

I can totally confirm as you already stated that the PDA comes with a 32MB flash rom, which is pretty good. Just trying to find a way that I can find out for sure my unit is running on 400MHZ for my own peace of mind...

But for now can recommend this unit if your local LIDL stocks it, it's better than the ALDI deal that was around on the MD95000.
Roamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Lidl PocketPc Reply with quote

Got one this morning,the PC seems to be ok. How ever, I have been trying to run the GPS Status,Start Test, iit has not been able to locate any satellite as yet, even after running for 5hrs!! Has anybody had this problem. I did even connect the external antenna to see if this has got any effect, but of no use!!
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaky

If you download the trial version of Pocket Hack Master that will show the true Speed (It comes in at 398Mhz on mine)

Here is a link

http://www.pc-counselor.com/favorites/hackmaster.htm

It will say buyit at the bottom of the page, but there is a 10day free trial

Cheers

Richard
Roamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Lidl Myguide 6500 Reply with quote

It detect the GPS receiver on com2, at 4800Baud transfer, but still have not been able to locate any satellite. I tried to flip the Receiver and ran the Gps test, I tried running it with the receiver flipped down,also tried with the external antenna connected, but still of no use!!
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Did you run the other option first to find the GPS Port, There are 2 buttons on the menu, the right one is the GPS Test, you need to select the left button to configure the com port the GPS is on, (Not sure of the label on it as I have uninstalled mine now)

If you get really stuck still let me know I will reinstall Falk and go thru it with you

Cheers

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: