Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mapsource questions. please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mapsource questions. please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikek1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: mapsource questions. please help Reply with quote

hey, im looking into getting an etrex legend c and was wondering what mapsource to get? do they make a north america metroguide? bc i was looking for a north america metroguide on the garmin website but i didn't find it. also wat is the difference between the north america city select and the metroguide? i checked out the maps (north america select and metro guide canada) on garmin.com and i notcied that the metroguide had like the major roads highlighted and it had more places of intrest on it. does the metroguide have turn by turn directions like the city select?which one is better? with the metroguide can i search addresses an stuff? i want my legendc to have good coverage of residental roads and i dont know which mapsource is better. any information would be great. thanks
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do a US Metroguide here. The main difference between Metroguide and CitySelect is that with Metroguide you can plan routes automatically ona PC and transfer them to the GPS, whereas with CitySelct, you can opt to transfer rerouting data to the GPS, so it will automatically reroute you if you go off the calculated route.

Given the above, CitySelect is better, as well as pricier. I imagine that the two products carry similar levels of data.

I'm not sure if you can search down to house number level with Metroguide, but you can with CitySelect.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroGuide (the last ver I looked at) didn't have turn by turn instructions, where as CitySelect does, and CityNavigator enhances upon this with voice.

That may have changed in the latest offerings, but I think that still stands true. MetroGuide is more for installing onto a standard handheld like an eTrex or GPSMap76 where you don't need routing ability but just need to see roads to know roughly where you are (and the basemap isn't good enough).

City Select is more for the colour handhelds with more memory like the GPSMap60C/CS and GPSMap76C/CS that do have a lot more memory and you want turn by turn instructions for (but no voice).

City Navigator (I believe cannot be purchased separately) but is mainly for the Street Pilots and Quest.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: