Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Acer n30 - USB-Serial (Belkin F5U409) driver required
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer n30 - USB-Serial (Belkin F5U409) driver required
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Acer n30 - USB-Serial (Belkin F5U409) driver required Reply with quote

Kind folks,

First timer - so if I've done this incorretly;- sorry.

I am trying to interface my Garmin GPS III and GPS-100 STD to my Acer n30 Pocket PC via a Belkin USB/Serial device. When I connect the Belkin to the PPC, I get "Unidentified USB Device" and it asks for a device driver. There lays my problem. I have called both the Belkin reps and Acer reps in Australia. The best response I got was that the Windows OS should already have a generic driver. What they could NOT tell me was the name.

1. Has anyone used the Acer n30 with a Belkin USB/Serial cable (and got it to work)?
2. What is, or when can I find a generic driver for downloading to my Acer n30?
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nick,

I have no experience of your particular setup but regularly use various combinations of GPS receivers, PDA's and navigation software for in flight navigation.

1) Try downloading Leadtek software from this site, The Winfast Navigator for CE should provide the basis to identify your GPS signal and to provide an accurate position on your PDA.
2) If you want a moving map display then most systems such as 'Memory Map' have their own GPS driver.

Please contact me directly, via this site if you need any furthar discussion. The aviation articles give some idea of the scope of aviation software.

Good luck

PeterB
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make a guess here.

Many of these USB to serial devices use a Prolific PL-2303 chip. If this Belkin product does (and it's bad that Belkin can't provide drivers for their own product), you can get the drivers from tech.prolific.com.tw

Click the Download button.

Click USB 1.1 under Smart I/O IC.

Click PL-2303 USB to Serial Bridge Controller

Click the Go button

I find the WHQL drivers work well - though if they don't work, download the latest Windows drivers. They're the penultimate and last options on the page respectively.

David
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

??? where do you find
'tech.prolific.com.tw'

???
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop it in your web browser - or click on it in my original post for a link.

David
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I had already tried my browser with 'website not found'!
However after much searching and downloading a new 'language pack' managed to get it to work?? But which driver for a PDA??

I'm still wondering about the original problem!
If he simply wants to use the Garmin as a GPS antenna then he needs a GPS programme/ driver for his PPC. If there is then an NMEA signal via the serial port , O.K.!

???
Puzzled
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had misread the original post - I thought we were talking about a Windows machine, not a Pocket PC.

However, the key piece of advice still holds - the cable almost certainly uses a PL-2303. There is a driver floating around somewhere that works on most Pocket PCs with a USB host capabilities (as yours clearly does). Unfortunately I can't track it down.

Such a driver is most commonly used with Toshiba Pocket PCs - maybe that gives you a hint. Good luck!

David
Nick_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Acer n30 - USB-Serial (Belkin F5U409) driver required Reply with quote

PeterB & DavidW,

Thanks for your prompt responses.

I had a look at the link you suggested David. From my reading of it, it was not for a cable USB-Serial converter. My Pocket PC runs Microsoft Pocket PC Version 4.20.0 using a Samsung S3C2410 processor.

I've tried Google, Acer, Belkin and Microsoft sites. Most disappointing is the Belkin site. As the manufacturer, I would have expected that they would provide drivers for all operating systems. The supplied CD only has drivers for Windows 98 / 2000 / ME / XP and Mac OS. I had hoped that there was a suitable generic MS driver form one of the above OS's.

At this juncture, I still am no further but am still looking. If anyone does find a driver - it'll be a great Xmas present for me.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Could you tell us of your ultimate objective and application of your Garmin/ PDA setup.
Is if for in-flight navigation etc?
There may be some alternative route to meeting your requirements!!
Nick_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Basically, it IS for supplementary aerial navigation purposes. I tend to do most of my navigation by dead-reckoning ("reckon I've got it right - otherwise; I'm dead").
Using the GSP 100 is very basic (no mapping features and limited waypoints). The GPS III allows road-map navigation but has a limited screen size.
Using the OziExplorer software with a USB-Serial interface would provide a moving colour-map display using my Acer N30 against official aerial navigation maps.
The alternative is that I go out and get something like a Gamin 530 GNC but somehow; I can imagine my wife becoming the first woman in space without a rocket. (She’d go ballistic when she found out the price).
The Pocket PC, despite the display limitation sin strong light conditions, is the most affordable and effective solution with budgetary constraints.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

I regularly use Memory Map software with a CFGPS receiver on an Ipaq PDA for air nav.

OziExplorer should do the same job for you!!
Do you actually have the software installed on your PDA????????
If not, it may be worth a try to see if you can detect the NMEA output from your Garmin!!!!!
Plse let me know!

Regards
Peter
Nick_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
I have Oziexplorer (registered) installed.
The problem is more fundamental. The PDA (PC Computer) will not recognize the Belkin US-Serial cable interface - it requests a driver.
I have no trouble interfaceing the Garmin III with my desktop using the Belkin cable (ie;- the NMEA 183 interface works well).
The Garmin 100 is a little weird using the cable. It shows the '100 continually polling but does not accept commands from the host computer. I have yet to connect it directly to a serial port (current testing limited to using Belkin cable and comparing with Garmin III). Fortunatley, I have a logic state analyzer to review the serial (RS232) signals. Once I have the Belkin cable working, I will pursue the Garmin 100.
The primary objective is to get the Belkin cable USB-Serial device to be recognized by the Acer N30.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,
Sorry, no real answer to the missing driver issue, BUT :-

a) Have you tried Garmin support. They almost certainly can provide a connection solution for the Garmin III and might suggest a suitable driver for the Belkin USB/serial???

b) pfranc.com/cables/index.mhtml website talks a lot about Garmin connectivity, may help.

c) In the long term I guess you will get fed up with lots of connecting cables and go for a 'neat' solution. Could you persuade your wife to buy you a Bluetooth GPS antenna for Christmas.:- the ultimate solution and by far the best for in flight navigation.

( I bet it's a bit warmer with you than in U.K.!!!)

Please keep me advised on your progress

Regards

Peter
Nick_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

The weather here is improving. A couple of days ago it reached some 34+C then plummeted to a mere 15 and today we had 27. Isn't Spring grand?

I must admit that I did contact Garmin re signals. They were kind enough to point me to the pin diagram;- not what I needed. Admittedly, I have had [u]NOT[/u] queried them with my specific Belkin interface cable.

The alternative I have is to purchase a purpose built aviation GPS (possibly the new GNC 230 XL which incorporates all maps and communications system). Here is Aust, I'd be looking at $AU4.5K. At least it would save quite bit of heartache. The cost, when offset by having a dedicated system that will work in even the brightest of light (or night) would appear the best option.

Thanks for your previous support.
Luciad13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterB wrote:
Hello Nick,

I have no experience of your particular setup but regularly use various combinations of GPS receivers, PDA's and navigation software for in flight navigation.

1) Try downloading Leadtek software from this site, The Winfast Navigator for CE should provide the basis to identify your GPS signal and to provide an accurate position on your PDA.
2) If you want a moving map display then most systems such as 'Memory Map' have their own GPS driver.

Please contact me directly, via this site if you need any furthar discussion mutuelles TNS. The aviation articles give some idea of the scope of aviation software.

Good luck

PeterB

I do not have a lot of experience with this kind of gps, but I'm sure it works well and is more efficient.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: