Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Welcome , an intro to OpenStreetMap (OSM)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome , an intro to OpenStreetMap (OSM)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Welcome , an intro to OpenStreetMap (OSM) Reply with quote

We've touched on OSM a number of times over the years and some of the team have been supporters since its creation.

OSM is an Open Source Community created street map. One of those great 'why didn't I think of that' ideas that has grown immeasurably over the years.

Here we hope to raise its profile amongst the general GPS user community and encourage you all to get mapping and leverage the power of the community.

Fed up with reporting a map error to TeleAtlas or Navteq only for it to be ignored? Well now YOU have the power, it's very easy to add or edit the map, you can correct errors, add missing roadnames or entire missing streets easily and quickly and then take some pride in your contributions.

We will over time create some guides and howto's for new users but for now, check out how comprehensive the map already is at http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Last edited by Darren on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my locality has very poor coverage... is it just a case of drive around for a while with a datalogger and submit the data to them or is it more technical than that?

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
my locality has very poor coverage... is it just a case of drive around for a while with a datalogger and submit the data to them or is it more technical than that?

MaFt

If you read the news item I touch on it in a little greater details. It is mapped by you. You collect the tracks, upload them, view them as an overlay on the master map and then using the supplied editor you create the new roads using your tracks as a reference.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start off with OSM think small, just log a couple of streets or a single block of streets, don't try a huge data logging run of 30 miles to start with as this can put you off (guess who tried driving all around the Fylde coast for the first ever outing a few years ago!)

It is easy to use and produce a very clearly defined map section in a very short period of time. If you don't have a GPS logger then it is possible to use a TomTom or Garmin device for data logging which is something I will write up later. As most users of this web site already own the GPS receiver\nav unit then there should be no cost to adding data to the map. For those users with PDA hardware and integral GPS or with separate receivers again there is software available to datalog.

What I like about the project is the speed at which road layout changes can be added to a live map, if a new roundabout is added local to yourself it can be on the map within 2 hours of the road opening, try this with the big mapping companies and it could take two years! - Mike
Lariliss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, OpenStreet maps were 'only friend through planning nights' so many times.
I've registered to try my contribution.
There will be a lot say, what confirmation comes:)
Thank you.
Lariliss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to share my experience of using the OSM editor.
It is great for purposes of planning routes, making surveys and sharing between different software layers for coverage planning and analysis.
- no need for several export/import tab files;
- clear layer with defined streets buildings, etc., which may be shared between teams.
At it is presentable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: