Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Digital Traffic service will end June 2021
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Digital Traffic service will end June 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I understand its DAB delivery of traffic info that is coming to an end rather than the service per say. tomtom receive the traffic data over a data connection so will be unaffected by the dab service ceasing. to be fair very few companies use dab for traffic delivery preferring to use internet or tmc. it looks that the lack of adoption has foiled the service.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the case then this time next year, or long before, I can see a TT Premium being installed and keep the valuable Inrix based, frequently updated traffic.

Switch to Garmin's recommendation TMC-RDS Laughing Stop!

STA supplies my PGPSW cameras so no real need to have them on the SatNav.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now comes the dilemma ...

I can't use Garmin Smartlink because my phone needs to connect to the car. That leaves TMC-RDS which my car's built in headunit already has.

Reading up on TT, the Premium, with the built in Sim for traffic, is really laggy according to many reviews. Touch the screen and wait up to 20 seconds for it to respond ! Voice control similarly unresponsive.

TT fanboy replies reckon it needs a soft reset and make sure it has at least 400Mb of free space. All very well but brand new units, straight out of the box are laggy.

I suppose wait and see if they release a 2021 new range.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most phones today can handle multiple Bluetooth connections. My iPhone connects to my Apple Watch, Garmin Smartlink and car all at once with no issues. Benn using this setup for years on both cars and the motorbike.

Traffic via Smartlink, calls go to the car and music streams to the head unit.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I tried that - connecting to car and Garmin - when I turned on the ignition, it was a race for which device connected first.

Once one device was connected the other was refused. That was my previous HTC phone though.

I know you can connect multiple 'audio' devices but not other types.

I'll try again later and see what occurs.

Samsung Galaxy S10, never had or intending to buy anything Apple.

Update:

Just tested it and my S10 can indeed connect to the car and the Garmin together. However, the Smartlink traffic is not showing the M4 roadworks whereas the Inrix traffic is.

I had another scan of the area snd Smartlink traffic doesn't seem as up to date as Inrix. Now if Garmin can swap Smartlink from viaMichelin to Inrix ....
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi K,

Kremmen wrote:
Reading up on TT, the Premium, with the built in Sim for traffic, is really laggy according to many reviews. Touch the screen and wait up to 20 seconds for it to respond ! Voice control similarly unresponsive.

TT fanboy replies reckon it needs a soft reset and make sure it has at least 400Mb of free space. All very well but brand new units, straight out of the box are laggy.

My latest TomTom PND is a +10 years old 950 Live. I've not used a TomTom Premium and am surprised that a brand new device is laggy. As for voice control, well I don't trust it! Wink

Why don't you try the TomTom Android app on your Samsung Galaxy S10. If it's anything like the iOS app the subscription is:

£1.99 for 1 month subscription
£4.99 for 3 months subscription
£8.99 for 6 months subscription
£12.99 for 12 months subscription

It'll be much cheaper to spend £1.99 or £4.99 for a month or 3 for testing than buying a PND and it'll get you used to the GUI and MyDrive.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks R

I don't have my phone in a prominent position and I don't like using them for continual heavy usage like mapping, they get hot.

It's also quite a visual leap from 5" to 6" on a PND and my phone is 5" but my Garmin 6" and the viewing area is noticeable.

Now I know my phone can do multiple BT I'm happy to wait.

My other plan is to connect my old Garmin 2599 to my phone via Smartlink and see how the Smartlink traffic compares to the TA cable traffic.

Regarding the laggy performance, I was also surprised but there are loads of complaints on the TT Community forum about it. Owners having upgraded and wished they hadn't wasted £350.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing begins .....

Note already that my plotted route from ~Heathrow to Reading, Digital traffic shows the M4 roadworks but Smartlink doesn't.

There isn't any delay but it's still a roadworks zone.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
T5YOB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Testing begins .....

Note already that my plotted route from ~Heathrow to Reading, Digital traffic shows the M4 roadworks but Smartlink doesn't.

Which one will my Drivesmart 55 MT-S use?

Mod Edit. Image removed to improve layout
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"S" is the key Smile

You need to link (pair) your phone's Smartlink app to the Garmin to get Smartlink traffic on the MT-S devices as opposed to the TA cable for the MT-D devices.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Testing begins .....

I will watch your testing with interest.

I have established that my iPhone can pair with the Garmin and the in-car hands free at the same time, which is good.

Experimenting with Smart Link shows that when Smart Link is running the traffic comes from Smart Link even when a digital traffic charging cable is plugged in, this is sensible as it allows me to choose between the two systems.

So far, on a very short journey, neither the Smart Link or the DAB traffic picked up the queue that I was sitting in.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I don't have my phone in a prominent position and I don't like using them for continual heavy usage like mapping, they get hot.

That's true, especially when in a protective case and in a windscreen mount that can be in direct view of the sun.

Kremmen wrote:
It's also quite a visual leap from 5" to 6" on a PND and my phone is 5" but my Garmin 6" and the viewing area is noticeable.

I have an old iPhone 6s Plus, that has a 5½" screen which is OK, although the iPhone 6s Plus is too large for use as a phone!

Kremmen wrote:
Regarding the laggy performance, I was also surprised but there are loads of complaints on the TT Community forum about it. Owners having upgraded and wished they hadn't wasted £350.

I'm afraid that that's TomTom. If you do buy a TomTom PND then buy it from an online shop such as Halfords or Amazon so if it is too laggy then you can return it with 14 days, although I'm sure that would be you plan anyway.

pcaouolte wrote:
So far, on a very short journey, neither the Smart Link or the DAB traffic picked up the queue that I was sitting in.

As I suggested to K, try using the TomTom iOS app and subscribe for a month for a few pounds to try the Traffic.

By the way, it's probably best to download all of the UK maps and also ALL of the "Ferry Conections Europe", i.e.: Artic; Europe; and Mediterranean.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Testing begins .....

which provider is the rds-tmc unit using? as there is a big difference in coverage between providers with trafficmaster covering 8,000miles of roads and inrix covering 90,000miles (2018 maps or newer) with there respective tmc service.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TMC comes in via participating radio stations.with Classic FM being one of the major providers.

First journey in a few hours but the roads will be quiet. It'll be my journey back Monday afternoon or Tue morning that should provide some data.

I've been looking at the latest Tomtoms. They all look so last century with wide chunky surrounds. The latest Garmins look far better with their thin surround like a modern TV.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

As I suggested to K, try using the TomTom iOS app and subscribe for a month for a few pounds to try the Traffic.

Thank you for the suggestion. I moved away from TomTom when they stopped support for the PGPSW speed cameras. I won't be going back unless they reintroduce that facility.

If I am going to use the phone for navigation I might as well use (free) Google maps or Waze, the traffic on either of those is quite reliable.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: