Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are Smart Motorways Confusing for Drivers?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Smart Motorways Confusing for Drivers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Are Smart Motorways Confusing for Drivers? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
The transport secretary, Grant Shapps, is to review the safety of smart motorways after allegations that they are too confusing for drivers. In the most simplistic terms smart motorways are fairly easy to understand: you have a speed limit of 70mph unless the signs say otherwise. The issues apparently arise over the use of the hard shoulder. On some smart motorways the hard shoulder is always closed and only for emergency use but, during congestion, smart motorway signs may state that the hard should is open for all. On other smart motorways there is no hard shoulder as such with a small orange layby every half a mile or so for emergency use - the smart motorways signs can, however, close the inside lane if needed. All it takes is to look at the signs to see which lanes are open and what the speed limit is - it's not that confusing and we would always recommend being alert to your surroundings when driving.

From a personal point of view, while I am driving on the smart motorways without the hard shoulder I often worry about how safe it would be to stop in the event of a breakdown when you are essentially stopping in an active lane of traffic. While I keep an eye on my surroundings when driving I can only assume, judging by the number of near misses I've seen while driving, that not everyone does... It will be interesting to see the results of the upcoming review and whether they somehow decide that more speed cameras would help...!

Source: BBC News

email icon
arfurdent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you have lorry drivers watching a DVD and relying on radar you are at serious risk without a hard shoulder. They even collide with vehicles on a real hard shoulder
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that.

Smart motorways are a big fatal mistake IMO
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M40 seems to have been the exception as that is the one they trialled and it has always seemed to run well for me. The M1 however had a serious incident when first opened with a coach not seeing the broken down vehicle in a closed lane and colliding. I believe the M62 has also had its fair share of incidents around J27 with people no paying attention to lanes being open/ closed. I don't like the idea of no hard shoulder, and we seem to be the only country that has decided it is a good idea.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you really mean that we are the only country with people in charge of this sort of thing stupid enough to think it's a good idea.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and when these incidents do occur the emergency services can't get there by road.

Utter madness in my book
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. There was a bad accident M1 (N) last week. The traffic was 6 mile queuing and I saw 2 fire engines and an ambulance trying their best to get past. Okay, so that bit of motorway isn't "smart" yet, but the hard shoulder was closed off and occupied by road workers and their equipment.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few independent recovery companies refuse to attend breakdowns on the M25 where there is no hard shoulder due to the safety of their employees.
BovGregg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: undertaking Reply with quote

so what is the law on undertaking? I get cars undertaking me what ever lane I am in. This seems to happen more on smart motorways with 4 lanes.Very dangerous.
modelman093
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Smart Motorways Reply with quote

Hard shoulder, what hard shoulder? - utter madness!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: undertaking Reply with quote

BovGregg wrote:
so what is the law on undertaking?
Should you really be driving if you don't know? Rolling Eyes Very Happy
DJ_Chalky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big issue that I see very frequently, using a no Hard Shoulder section of the M1 every day is that very often a vehicle breaks down in Lane 1 and Highways England have not noticed and therefore haven't closed the lane meaning vehicles are having to swerve at the last second.

I have phoned HE on several occasions and they know nothing about it and can't see it.

In my experience, older Smart Motorways with Hard Shoulder running are safer and seem to have a lot more cameras. Permanent no Hard Shoulder Smart Motorways seem to have a lot fewer cameras and HE are a lot slower to react because they have low visibility and rely on people calling in which is dangerous.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that the latest accident on the M1 was due to Lane 1 not being closed at all.

Last edited by DJ_Chalky on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
BovGregg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: undertaking Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
BovGregg wrote:
so what is the law on undertaking?
Should you really be driving if you don't know? Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Well I was always taught not to undertake so has the law changed for some people.but when I go to America they always undertake, You didnt answer my question so obviously you shouldnt be driving either if you dont know ?
shanedunn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Smart motorways Reply with quote

Not smart, not clever, blooming dangerous places... if we need wider motorways, build em... we’ve always got money for crap projects but never for the infrastructure of the uk...
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are being undertaken then I have to assume that you have an empty lane on your nearside ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: