Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map of Australia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map of Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Map of Australia Reply with quote

I'm off to Aus shortly to see my daughter, and not sure about what sat nav options there'll be for my hire car. I think my mobile provider include Aus in my monthly data allowance but I can't get a definitive response from O2. So I'm not sure about Google Maps/cost.

I don't know what's fitted in the hire car and I'd prefer not to pay to hire (an unfamiliar) one.

The obvious solution is load a map onto my Garmin and take it with me.

Has anyone used OpenStreetMap from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/?

Seems to be very good....
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have, while they are reasonable you may find occasionally routing can be rather weird.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Even weirder than the vanilla Garmin? Very Happy
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Map of Australia Reply with quote

BigJohnD wrote:
I think my mobile provider include Aus in my monthly data allowance but I can't get a definitive response from O2. So I'm not sure about Google Maps/cost.

Google Maps supports "Offline Maps".
Obviously, download before you go ... but make sure they don't expire during your trip.

(I tried to see what the parameters are ... but it turns out Google Maps are a bit on my phone - I cloned a phone with an SD card, to one without. Google Maps is now very confused Crying or Very sad)

UPDATED - It turns out that Google now allows a whole year, before a map expires - so you should have no problems on that score.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

The Open Street Maps loaded easily onto the Garmin's SD Card and onto the PC for use with Basecamp. A session with Google Earth located all the places we are visiting and they're now favourites on the Garmin.

I have also downloaded Google Maps of the areas of QLD and NSW we are visiting. Cheers. 👍
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Map of Australia Reply with quote

BigJohnD wrote:
I can't get a definitive response from O2. So I'm not sure about Google Maps/cost.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/using-your-phone-abroad

Looks like you'll get unlimited data but are limited on calls and texts. It is a 'bolt on' so will cost money: https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone - an eye-watering £4.99 a day!

Cheaper to but a throwaway PAYG SIM card while you're out there? Or a cheap SatNav with Aus maps?
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Map of Australia Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Looks like you'll get unlimited data but are limited on calls and texts. It is a 'bolt on' so will cost money: https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone - an eye-watering £4.99 a day!

Cheaper to but a throwaway PAYG SIM card while you're out there? Or a cheap SatNav with Aus maps?

Thanks for the link. Seems like it's the same as when I was cruising last year through the Panama, The Caribbean and Americas. Basically I was in aeroplane mode and only used wi-fi.

Might look at an Aussie PAYG SIM for the ten days or so though. Cheers.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No additional charges for using O2 in Aus I got thix text message when I arrived in Cairns:

"Welcome to AUSTRALIA. Your tariff includes roaming here. You get 120 minutes, 120 texts and all the data you need each day at no extra cost, subject to our fair usage policy. Your daily allowance applies from midnight to midnight based on the local time of the capital city of this country. If you go over your 120 minutes or texts you will be charged International roaming rates. For more information on International roaming rates visit www.o2.co.uk/inclusive-zone Call 112 for emergency services.'

Apart from the Garmin taking an age to link to the Southern Hemisphere satellites, the Open Street Maps and routnng have been fine.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnD wrote:
No additional charges for using O2 in Aus I got thix text message when I arrived in Cairns:

"Welcome to AUSTRALIA. Your tariff includes roaming here. You get 120 minutes, 120 texts and all the data you need each day at no extra cost, subject to our fair usage policy. Your daily allowance applies from midnight to midnight based on the local time of the capital city of this country. If you go over your 120 minutes or texts you will be charged International roaming rates. For more information on International roaming rates visit www.o2.co.uk/inclusive-zone Call 112 for emergency services.'

Apart from the Garmin taking an age to link to the Southern Hemisphere satellites, the Open Street Maps and routnng have been fine.

Excellent news! I wonder why the O2 site said there was a daily charge...

MaFt
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BigJohnD,

That's excellent that you don't get any additional charges for using O2 in Australia. Thumbs Up

Out of interest, what O2 contract do you have?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current deal with O2 was done via Car Phone Warehouse. When my last 2 year deal was about end I went to enquire about any deals.  They were offering free 5× data, so I took 15Gb/month for price of 3Gb/month  I rarely use more than 2Gb. There are unlimited UK calls and texts, plus an offer on an LG G6 with Android 9 (Pie) for about £25/month plus VAT = a little over £30.

I'm not sure if the deal has a name; more likely it was a short term offer. And of course all Car Phone Warehouse phones are supplied unlocked, which is handy if you need to use another (overseas) network

The Open Street Map is a bit odd. As said before, the routing is a bit odd - we had to "force" it by following road signs but it was otherwise accurate in finding the destinations.

The really difficult time was when it went into a calculation restart loop meltdown when finding the route to one of its own PoIs. Fortunately Mrs Google came to rescue on that single occasion.

As an aside the hired car, an Hyundai, is very old fashioned. The doors are really heavy, the upper seat belt anchor is almost unreachable but it does seem like it will go on for ever without a complaint.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked my O2 account and no extra charges have been added so far this month.

I also noted that when I got the phone/new contract I took out a free Travel Inclusive bolt on as I'm often in Spain, France or the RoI. I think that might be a big factor.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone

It seems Aus, NZ, US of A, &c are included. 😀👍

And it apoears I am on an "O2 Refresh" contract - I am not on a SIM only deal.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: