Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A few questions about the new devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions about the new devices
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: A few questions about the new devices Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've used a Garmin device, but can anyone tell me whether the latest models have solved the problem of being directed down single-[dirt]track country lanes, such as these:-

https://app.box.com/s/esz2qg1cl4217kkddu53f3ahrd14gthy

https://app.box.com/s/dxxuvrfjcep4wkj6im9pgmojn5dym6vk

Also, do they still fail to inform the driver of the road numbers at complex junctions?

Finally, has the straight-line problem when importing routes from third-party route planners like MyRoute-app been solved?

As a matter of interest, I tried using MyRoute-app with Here maps loaded, to test point 1 above and the suggested route did not deviate from the main roads, unlike my current TomTom. Also, I noticed that the Here maps do have the road numbers, so if Garmin is still using those maps, there is presumably no reason why the devices can't pass that information on to the user is there? Or am I missing something?[/img]

Last edited by cottonsocks on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect in certain areas you'll still be directed down what some would call unsuitable roads, but then others wouldn't.

Road numbers are used more often than they used to be, but again not all the time.

As I've always used BaseCamp for route planning I can't comment on your final point.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about the new devices Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
It's been a while since I've used a Garmin device, but can anyone tell me whether the latest models have solved the problem of being directed down single-[dirt]track country lanes, such as these, [img]https://app.box.com/s/hh8bdpjzi8dan5i3xijj5t7afkas0ams[/img]

It's all relative Smile
The images below, are of roads in Cornwall that my new Zūmo 346 wanted me to venture down. This was using routes prepared in Basecamp and downloaded to the unit.

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When SatNavs issue illogical instructions I ignore them.

If I'm say 20 miles or more from my destination and it wants to take me off a motorway or A road onto a B road then, why ?

If I'm travelling in unknown territory then I take a mental note of my preferred route before I set off and stick to major roads and only really follow the Nav for last few miles.

I used to travel from London to Malvern a lot and the Nav would always try and take me on a 130 mile route via the motorways.
On every occasion, both Garmin and TT, when I turned off the M40 onto the Oxford bypass, would recalculate and the result, almost immediately, was a saving of 25 miles and just under half an hour.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malvern? I used to go there a lot as well, were you visiting the DRA?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother and Sister in law Sad

Just off the Guarlford road
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok Very Happy
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have is that I have to visit many different places in Worcestershire and it's not always possible to remember all parts of the route, particularly in parts of the county with which I am less familiar. I don't always have time to pre-plan a route that will take me to each destination, so I have to depend on my sat nav to use sensible routes. Also, it's not always possible to make the right decision myself as some roads start off being reasonable dual-track roads but further along, get more and more narrow, until they become single-track roads. I do get something of a clue with my TomTom as it always states the road number if there is one, so I can ignore any directions that only specify a road name. There is a risk using that method though in that I can be sent on a bit of a detour if the sat nav has chosen a route that depends on using a short section of single-track road, rather than planning the entire route using A & B roads + motorways (where possible).
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therein lies the problem, folks expect their Satnav to always know exactly what route choices they want in every situation they might come across. Unfortunately satnavs have limited processing power so you get what you get in terms of route choice, and pretty much in all cases you can have a look on the screen before you start the route, indeed in Garmin newer satnavs you can choose between up to 3 routes.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have an option to avoid unclassified roads, unless there is no other alternative. That would solve the problem. Looking on the screen tells you very little about the nature of a road and is not practicable (image planning a route home late at night after a busy day at work and then being expected to examine every part of the route before setting off).

Given that it's 50 years since we successfully navigated our way to the moon, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that our navigation devices here on earth ought to be able to plot sensible routes for us, especially given how long the manufacturers of these devices have been in business. If we can't rely on them, then they aren't fit for purpose in my view.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
They should have an option to avoid unclassified roads, unless there is no other alternative.
They have
Quote:

Given that it's 50 years since we successfully navigated our way to the moon, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that our navigation devices here on earth ought to be able to plot sensible routes for us, especially given how long the manufacturers of these devices have been in business. If we can't rely on them, then they aren't fit for purpose in my view.
Then don't rely on them. Use a paper map instead. Twisted Evil BTW there are no single track roads on the route to the moon. Laughing
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is a new feature then, to avoid unclassified roads and keep to A/B roads and motorways? That didn't exist on the older devices as far as I remember.

Using a paper map would obviously be a retrograde step and virtually useless when driving alone in the dark I suspect. In any case, we should in my opinion, be looking to new technology to solve problems, not just rely on out-of-date methods and old technology. If we do, how are we ever going to advance? We would certainly have never made it to the moon if we had adopted that philosophy.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The block is on 'Unpaved Roads' (I just checked).
If something is not fit for purpose, then it cannot be used for the purpose for which it has been designed.
If it 'does the job' but badly (as per your, and others observations on Garmin and others routeing), then it is just what's known in the technical trade as p1$$ poor design/implementation. The problem has been around for years now, and it seems that the satnav manufacturers chose to ignore it. Either that or people don't complain to the manufacturers. but just 'go on' about it on forums such as this.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also a case that what some folks consider the 'better route' others don't. It might seem easy to design a satnav routing algorithm to suit everyone but it's not. You might say well give us the option to avoid certain types of road, but what then if a route takes you a further 20 odd miles say, just because you've selected an option to avoid certain road types, when a few hundred yards on that would have helped?

If you want maximum flexibility then some of the satnavs designed for motorhomes and lorries may help you, but they're more expensive ...
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
No. The block is on 'Unpaved Roads' (I just checked).
If something is not fit for purpose, then it cannot be used for the purpose for which it has been designed.
If it 'does the job' but badly (as per your, and others observations on Garmin and others routeing), then it is just what's known in the technical trade as p1$$ poor design/implementation. The problem has been around for years now, and it seems that the satnav manufacturers chose to ignore it. Either that or people don't complain to the manufacturers. but just 'go on' about it on forums such as this.

I have mentioned this problem to both Garmin & TomTom, but they don't even seem to understand the issue and sometimes give contradictory answers. I guess they won't bother to do anything because there's no real competition. They are no doubt losing some sales for not listening to their customers, but it's the customers who have to suffer the most as usual.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: