Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tyre Now Not Working, Replacement?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tyre Now Not Working, Replacement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Tyre Now Not Working, Replacement? Reply with quote

Hi

It has been a long time since I tried to use Tyre to Travel and I see it is no longer active.

When downloading the latest version it requires signing up to a Google Maps API key (creating billing info etc)

I looked at the MyRoute App that the creators encourage you to sign up to but it does not manage POI sets as I wish unless I am missing that section.

With Tyre I could load up a CSV file, add, edit, move points and then either resave the CSV file or upload direct to my Garmin. CSV saving is necessary because I also keep a copy for Sygic on my mobile phone and a personal google map.

I tried using google maps but it will not export the set as a CSV, only KML/KMZ

POIEDit also appears dead, nothing since 2007 and no Google maps again

Garmin Basecamp allows the editing of the sets but again has no CSV export and the map is very basic. To locate a point accurately I have to keep referring to Google satellite view and then estimate where on Basecamp it should be.

I guess any software using Google maps these days is coming under cost pressure but does anyone have any suggestions for a simple POI manager?

Many thanks
Regards
Rick
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can export in csv from BaseCamp, at least I believe you can. Unable to check right now. You can also install maps into BaseCamp rather than just use the basemap it comes with.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You can export in csv from BaseCamp, at least I believe you can. Unable to check right now. You can also install maps into BaseCamp rather than just use the basemap it comes with.

Thanks for the reply.

The csv export from Basecamp includes a lot of proprietary info that would take ages to edit out of each file. The ideal export would just be lat, long, name

I have the map from my Drive 51 installed in Basecamp but still find the detail too coarse.

Another issue I have is that when transferring my custom POIs (Waypoints) to the device the custom icons are not transferred. I seem to remember reading that the icon bitmaps had to be placed in a folder on the device but can't find where.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Tyre are behind the web site myrouteapp.com

It has most of the features of Tyre
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the sentiment about the Google API

You do get some free searches but as they want your CC number, if you do stray over the free limit it can be costly. When they switched and overlaid their mapping with that watermark I did some searching and found some developers had been unexpectedly stung quite heavily.

I switched to Bing maps which isn't quite as good but does the basic job. I use it to convert lat long into street addresses for verifying.

The funny thing is, is that I still use Google pushpins to overlay into Bing, works perfectly.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
sussamb wrote:

I have the map from my Drive 51 installed in Basecamp but still find the detail too coarse.

Another issue I have is that when transferring my custom POIs (Waypoints) to the device the custom icons are not transferred. I seem to remember reading that the icon bitmaps had to be placed in a folder on the device but can't find where.

If that is too coarse do you have the detail set to highest? The other option is to install an appropriate OSM map.

As for custom icons that only happens with on the trail devices, where you can install custom ones.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of response. I had typed a post but it either got lost or I failed to submit!

I have decided the easiest option is just to maintain my database in CSV format using a spreadsheet. The amount of modification required is only about one or two entries every couple of months (hence my sudden discovery that Tyre would not work)

I looked at the MyRoutes web pages but could find no obvious section where I could access my CSV file, make edits and then save. The thought of sensitive/personal data being uploaded to a 3rd party off site server also put me off looking deeper.

As suggested by Kremmen I can plot the point on Google (or Bing) maps and copy/paste the displayed co-ordinates into the spreadsheet.

Many thanks for the help though

Regards

Rick
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

I keep my POIs in an Excel .xlsx spreadsheet which I then save as a .csv file albeit it different .csv format for TomTom and another for Garmin.

The benefits of .xlsx is that you can keep the columns a set width to your own requirements. You can set up formulas to merge data from other columns ie name, sub-categories, telephone number number etc. I also have formulas that create URLs for Google, OSM, TomTom, and Here (Garmin) maps these allow me to check coordinates on different map types. Also the .xlsx allows you to store names with diacritical marks (accents) for name accuracy yet lose them in the conversion to csv as Garmin’s are diacritically sensitive, ie if the name is “Café” the Garmin won’t find it if you search for “Cafe”.

If you need a good program to convert POIs then I recommend GPSBabel, for Windows and Mac.

Regards,
Robert
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: