Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - France To Get 60 Private Hidden Mobile Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

France To Get 60 Private Hidden Mobile Speed Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:

That's how it used to work (which most drivers accept as fair) and ACPO guidlines agree with what you say but with ref to my previous post - Bedford police have a zero tolerance to speeding so 31 in a 30 or 71 in a 70 gets you a ticket.

.....because as the article states - Bedford police need the money.

Bedfordshire Police never impleneted it because they realised they would not make the pots of money they were expecting. They were hoping to do a deal with the treasury for more of the dosh, but it didn't happen.

A FOI request last year had the following reply: http://bit.ly/2QwvygX
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt:

Yes I understand that but my comment was in reply to your satement
Quote:
So 31, 32, 33 in a 30 would generally not be anything that gets you into trouble.

In Bedford those speeds could get you into trouble. I personally know someone who was prosecuted for 32mph in a 30 in Beds having been followed by a police car so the ACPO guidlines were not applied. Yes I know they should have seen that they were being followed so it's their fault etc.

marksfish:

Beds police never implemented the change to the speed cameras but my point was that they viewed prosecuting drivers for exceeding the speed limit as a way of making money and not to improve road safety.

The answer given under the FOI act that you linked to does say
Quote:
The numerical data presented in this response is an un-audited snapshot of un-published data sourced from "live"
systems and is subject to the interpretation of the original request by the individual extracting the data.

Does that mean that the answer confirming conforming to ACPO guidelines only refers to speed cameras but not to speed recorded by following police car? How do you interpret that?

My friend whom I referred to was told they had a zero tolerance to speeding. He tried to argue the ACPO guidelines and was told they were only guidlines.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
DJL62 wrote:
If speed cameras are supposed to be about road safety, what is the justification for not for being open about their use - i.e. using marked vehicles.

I quote from THIS article which clarifies the issue - it's about raising money.

Quote:
Bedfordshire Police threatened to switch on automatic speed cameras on a stretch of the M1 and to fine any motorist who exceeds 70mph.

Olly Martins, the Police and Crime Commissioner for the area, claimed he had been left no alternative but to introduce the system, because his force was facing financial ruin.

Mr Martins claimed his force could raise up to £1 million a year, allowing him to pay for 25 front-line officers.

The fact is that Olly Martins did not have any control over the M1 motorway or its speeed limits.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

The French stuff is private companies. How long before they lower it to 30.1kmh just to get extra money... Or start faking results to get the money...

The facts are easily available.

French legislation has a set tolerance for speeding (marge de tolerance) of 5kph up to 100 kph limit and 5% above. The mobile cameras mounted in cars have a larger tolerance. Hence, in an 80kph limit prosecution starts at 86 kph measured reduced to 81 kph vitesse retenue leading to the mythical "I was only 1 kph over the limit" quote.

A speeding ticket (Avis de Contravention) is extremely detailed and will show the measured speed and the contravention speed (vitesse retenue) so there is no way that these private contractors can manipulate the figures. In fact, the first contractors are nowhere near achieving the predicted returns and are making a loss. The new contracts cannot be offered to companies that have previously been awarded contracts.

Edit: All the speeding tickets are processed through a government central ticketing system based in Rennes - another way that private companies cannot massage their figures!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: