Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
Put in my old One V3 serial in and it says
Quote:
After 6 April 2019, your satnav will continue to navigate, but it will not show the correct time and the estimated time of arrival.

so not quite a doorstop.

that's a pretty good result for an old 'un (and the device too! Wink )
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
Put in my old One V3 serial in and it says
Quote:
After 6 April 2019, your satnav will continue to navigate, but it will not show the correct time and the estimated time of arrival.

so not quite a doorstop.

When I enter the serial number for my TomTom V1 it says it is not affected. How can that be? I guess we'll see in two weeks time.
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted this on another forum, but might be useful to some folks here as well ..

Talking to someone who knows a lot more than me about GPS and this "possible" problem... and he tells me that what TT are saying is probably a load of rubbish !!

Apparently the end of the epoch Week Number Rollover is exactly what it says ... it is a WEEK NUMBER rollover ... so the only devices that are affected are those that use/calculate "weeks" and utilise the "week number" index !!

As most SatNavs don't even use even date/day information but simply use "time" then they will NOT be affected !!

He sent me to this site to show me that he wasn't talking rubbish, and sure enough, down the bottom is this little crumb of information ..

https://www.gps-repeaters.com/blog/gps-week-number-rollover-april-6th-2019/

"This situation won’t affect a receiver’s ability to navigate and/or calculate precise time, but it has the potential to create week, month and year timestamps that are wildly wrong. Applications which rely on GPS data at that level may be seriously affected."

I have a strong feeling that April 6th will be a "non-event" for my GO700
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find, thanks. Wink
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it may be time for a change, my old One V3 is now unsupported and all the major roads in N Scotland - A9, A90, A96 - are undergoing major upgrading over the next few years. Amazon are currently offering a Garmin Drive 51LMT-S with lifetime EU maps and traffic for £79.99, less than I paid for my One V3 UK back in 2007 ish, only slightly more expensive than the cheap Chinese no name models and around £15 less than the cheapest UK map TT. I used to sell sat nav and always put Garmin & TT about level with TT just poking in front because of the user interface. TT have changed that for the worse and Garmin seem to have stayed pretty much the same so now, along with the lack of support for third party customisations, TT seems to have lost that edge. Buy Now button pressed so I will be hanging up my hat here and changing my favourite location to another part of these forums. Out of here
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
It looks like it may be time for a change, my old One V3 is now unsupported and all the major roads in N Scotland - A9, A90, A96 - are undergoing major upgrading over the next few years. Amazon are currently offering a Garmin Drive 51LMT-S with lifetime EU maps and traffic for £79.99, less than I paid for my One V3 UK back in 2007 ish, only slightly more expensive than the cheap Chinese no name models and around £15 less than the cheapest UK map TT. I used to sell sat nav and always put Garmin & TT about level with TT just poking in front because of the user interface. TT have changed that for the worse and Garmin seem to have stayed pretty much the same so now, along with the lack of support for third party customisations, TT seems to have lost that edge. Buy Now button pressed so I will be hanging up my hat here and changing my favourite location to another part of these forums. Out of here

How does this model stack up against say the TT 940?
I need itineraries, custom POI's and preferably a remote?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a frustrated TomTom user, I bought a Garmin 770 Camper PND a couple of years ago. I bought the Camper so I could change the profile of the vehicle so that the routing would be more like I'm used to.

This is just a personal view, but I think that other TomTom users may well agree:

Routing: I have found, especially in rural Cornwall, that Garmin will not route as logically as TomTom, in fact, Garmin will take you off the main road via narrow side roads only to rejoin the original road a bit further on. I believe that TomTom's IQ Routes take into consideration time to wait at junctions whilst Garmin's TrafficTrends™ does not.

Traffic: TomTom's Traffic is much better than Inrix, which is the digital service that Garmin uses. Running a TomTom and Garmin together has shown me that TomTom is much better for traffic.

I think Garmin may allow you to load routes, but I don't know whether you can set itineraries.

Garmin does allow you to load POIs which you can see on the screen. The POI loading is a bit long winded especially if you want to group custom POIs such as speed camera POIs away from other custom POIs, although you do get used to the process. Whilst probably not too much of an issue to many people, I have found that Garmin can't handle diacritical marks (accents on characters) when searching custom POIs whilst TomTom can. Finally, I believe that you can load custom POIs onto modern TomToms via MyDrive but you can only use them for navigating to as they don't appear on the TomTom screen.

You have TomTom for Android, how does that cope with custom POIs loaded via MyDrive?

I'm not aware of any SatNav that now offers remote control.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom GO for Android is just like their current range of devices... poor.
Very little POI support... you can drive to a POI but you can't displaying them all on the map or setup proximity warnings.
Basic itinerary support called "My Routes" which again is pretty weak.
There is a folder called itn but it doesn't appear to do anything if you pop itn files in it.
I can't understand why they couldn't have ported one of their fully featured and proven Navcores (say from the 940) to Android with a facelift.
It’s like reinventing the wheel but making it worse than the original.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
TomTom GO for Android is just like their current range of devices... poor.
Very little POI support... you can drive to a POI but you can't displaying them all on the map or setup proximity warnings.l.

I know what you mean as I have TomTom Go Mobile for iPhone and it's very Fisherprice, with much less functionality than the previous TomTom iPhone SatNav app and NO POI support (can't load POIs via MyDrive) - I have to use a third-party app for POIs.

Presumably, you can load POI categories via MyDrive into TomTom GO for Android? How does TomTom GO for Android list POIs, is it by separate categories and then you drill down to individual POIs within each category? Can you search all categories for a particular POI? When you navigate to a POI does it stay in recent destinations, so you can navigate easily to that POI again?

As an example, my wife and I go to Jersey (Chanel Islands) once a year. Over the years we've created a POI category of over 700 accurate POIs. When I use TomTom GO for iPhone, I have to use POIViewer (a third-party iOS app) to hold the POIs and once I've decided on a POI to navigate to, POIViewer will launch TomTom Go for iPhone with the coordinates of that POI but not the name of the POI as the TomTom app still doesn't support URL Schemes, so the name of the POI doesm't go to the recent destination list. It's a real PIA but at least I can use my own POIs with TomTom Go for iPhone.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As itineraries, a remote control, RDS-TMC and full POI support with warning distance etc are so important when I travel across Europe I'm going to buy a good second-hand 540, 740 or 940... problem sorted.
It comes with all the bells and whistles (plus more) that my GO 910 had and it's still a supported device having just received a new Navcore update so no WNRO bugs.
The menus have been updated graphically and look quite nice but it's basically all there so will be familiar to use.
All of current offerings from TomTom are a joke as it's all about flogging cheap units and not about selling a comprehensive well proven driving aids for serious drivers.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing around with my GO 910s yesterday I stumbled on a now obvious fix for these devices.
The WNRO causes an issue with the X10 devices and they are unable to update the GPS almanac and ephemeris data.
This causes the GO x10 models to struggle when locking onto GPS satellites especially when your vehicle start moving as the device has to blind scan for satellites... pretty much making the device useless.
Using TomTom home and installing the latest QuickGPSfix will sort the problem as it supersedes/replaces the GPS almanac and ephemeris data until the data expires.
Unfortunately you'll need to regularly keep the QuickGPSfix up-to-date if you want to keep your x10 usable.
This workaround might work for other units... let me know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: