Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 910 touch screen has stopped working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 910 touch screen has stopped working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: TomTom GO 910 touch screen has stopped working Reply with quote

I've been struggling to get a decent replacement mount for my aging TomTom Go 910 where the suction cup doesn't split within a few days.
After a few months searching I have a good one, so popped it on my windscreen and plonked my 910 onto it.... and to my surprise the touch screen no longer works?
I have another 910 and that one’s fine but my regular one refuses to work after being sat in its case for a few months.
I've tried resetting it, connecting it to the pc etc... but nothing works.
I’ve a whole box of spare parts so fixing it shouldn’t be an issue, but I just wanted to check I’m not missing something obvious.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go round between the screen and its bezel with a bit of thin card. It could be that a bit of crud is giving the screen a permanent 'press'.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks... I gave it a try but it still refused to work Sad
On opening it up and removing the main PCB I found a one of the contacts on the LCD flexi had a pinhead of green corrsion at the base of it which appears to have eaten through the track.
I can only guess it's flux spaltter from when it was repaired donkeys years ago by TomTom and over the years it's eaten it's way through.
I'll swap out the screen and see if that fixes the problem.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I replaced the screen with a pristine spare I had kicking around and it's working perfectly again.
Quite an easy job as the x10 range was completely over engineered and held together like Meccano.
The pinprick of corrosion causing the problem was so small I needed to use a microscope to see it.
I guess my poor old 910’s days are really numbered now as the windscreen mounts are getting rare and even boxed and unused ones are aging and the rubber is perishing.
Can anyone suggest a good alternative to the 910?
I like features of 910 and the ability to access the file system to add my own stuff like POI’s, favourites, itineraries and other stuff.
The problem is all the new TomTom devices are quite basic and lack many of the features of the older models... and file/system access is completely inaccessible
I was looking at buying a second had 940 but they’re getting on now... can anyone suggest another manufacturer e.g. a Garmin that would make a good replacement device?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it fixed and 'just happened' to have a spare screen laying around.
DeLorean wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good alternative to the 910?
I like features of 910 and the ability to access the file system to add my own stuff like POI’s, favourites, itineraries and other stuff.
It won't be a TomTom then. You can do that stuff on Garmins (not sure what you mean by itineraries)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
... (not sure what you mean by itineraries)
On the x10 series you can load an itinerary file that, IIRC, can hold up to 24 waypoints. The newer models only have the ability to do 2, I believe.

It's very useful if doing a multi-stop sightseeing trip, or camera hunting. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your input... it looks like Garmin may be the way to go.
Itineraries are very important for me as I travel and from Central/Eastern Europe frequently.
I mainly travel the toll free routes as chose by my 910, however there are times when I need to force the route to go via some specific toll road sections. In Central/Eastern Europe toll roads can be very cheap to travel on and can avoid hundreds of miles of driving if I only used TomTom’s toll free routes.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly add lots of waypoints (or VIAs) on my Garmin to modify a route as you seem to require.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DeLorean,

I don't think that there is now a single SatNav PND that will do everything that you require.

The use of POIs are a must for me so, back in August 2017, I bought a Garmin Camper PND. The Garmin displays the POIs well and coupled with CamerAlert I get good warnings for speed cameras.

The downside, for people used to TomTom, is that Garmin Traffic is poor and Garmin routing can be bizarre! Shocked

I currently use TomTom GO Mobile app on my iPhone, which has even fewer features than the current range of TomTom PNDs, although when coupled with POIViewer (a third party app) I'm able to maintain my POIs and navigate to them although I can't see the POIs on the TomTom screens. As for speed camera warnings, I have had to get used to audio alerts from CamerAlert in the background.

I keep my POIs on master lists and it's relatively easy to create POIs for the TomTom or Garmin from those master lists. I sometimes run the TomTom app and the Garmin PND at the same time so the app navigates and the Garmin shows the POIs. This isn't ideal and I generally only use this set up on long journeys or when on holiday as it is a PITA to set up multiple devices.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps TomTom have spoilt us in the past... but we were paying a fortune for their devices back in the day.
I also have TomTom on Android but find it so basic a feature lacking that I don't really use it.
I do like the remotes the older devices used as in many countries you're not allowed to touch the satnav whilst driving.
I'll keep using my 910's until I can't find any more mounts at reasonable prices and then I'll take the plunge... however I have a mod in mind that may buy me a little more time Very Happy
Thanks guys Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: