Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Background App Refresh unavailable & no alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Background App Refresh unavailable & no alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Car Play, but we are just buying a new Ford with latest version of Sync 3 and hoping to make Waze work on that. Will report back once we have tried it.
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I start with this post I’d like to say this is only my take on it.
Here goes...
I’m not sure that having Background App Refresh (BAR) with CamerAlert would have any great benefit.
BAR let’s apps that are running in the background fetch up to date information, however CamerAlert is a database held on the users device that the users update manually, usually weekly.

It would seem that the only thing that CamerAlert needs to know whilst running in the background is ‘location’, which you can set to ‘always’ in Location Services. Your approximate location is determined using available information from cellular network data, local Wi-fi networks (if Wi-fi is on), and gps (if available).

As I understand it, there are apps that would, and do, benefit from BAR, such as Twitter of Facebook, where a constant update would be beneficial, but this wouldn’t appear to be of benefit to CamerAlert.

Maybe I’m wrong about this, but if anyone else has a better theory then please share it.

Steve
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve. It may well be coincidence that my problems with CamerAlert running in background have started since it disappeared from the BAR list. I only feel safe now running a Garmin with the database installed to let me know when it has dropped out. It would be interesting to see if the problem went away by restoring BAR for CA.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - I'm afraid you are wrong. Background refresh has nothing to do with updating the app.

Background refresh allows apps in the background to run as if they are in the foreground.

For example run the TomTom app in the foreground on an iPhone. When a phone call comes through (or you bring another app to the foreground) with background refresh off you don't get any more instructions until TomTom is the visible app again. With background refresh on it continues to pop up notifications with your next turn etc.

As Onedrew states when background refresh was lost this problem started. In fact when CA was first released there was an issue that UNTIL background refresh was enabled the app wouldn't work in the background.
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
Are you certain about this? If so, it explains everything.
I have emailed Darren who has passed it on, but so far no news. It is disappointing that there's no response: just a 'We're looking at it' would be enough.
Andrew
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, thanks for the reply. As I said, it was only my take on it, and as I’m not in any way an Apple app programmer, more of a theory!

If what you are saying re. an app running in the foreground stopping CamerAlert from giving notifications without Background refresh, then is there a plausible explanation as to why would this only happens occasionally and not all the time, and, as I always run Google maps in the foreground why have I not experienced this problem at all?

Steve
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onedrew wrote:
Paul
Are you certain about this? If so, it explains everything.
I have emailed Darren who has passed it on, but so far no news. It is disappointing that there's no response: just a 'We're looking at it' would be enough.
Andrew

Yes. Well at least i was sure, but now not so. Confused

Just had a read through older threads in this forum and came across https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=94509

The purpose of Background Refresh is to allow an app to continue running in the background. Try it yourself but using a sat nav app with an without BR.

I know TomTom app needs BAR on to function in the background as i found out in error one day.... Pretty sure CA does too....
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly used to be in the BAR list. There must have been a reason.
nhalliday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this issue ever get resolved? I'm thinking of moving to iOS, but I need CA to operate correctly whilst I'm using another app for navigation.
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still unreliable, sadly. Not seen a response from tech team although Darren did pass message on. It’s a shame. Still using separate SatNav for CamerAlert. It is very frustrating thst we cannot get any useful feedback, even just an acknledgment that the team are looking at it. Reading this stuff must put off a significant number of potential subscribers.
nhalliday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I need to move from Android to iOS for other reasons, and I'd prefer to be able to continue subscribing to the database. However it seems that it's time to look for a speed camera app with better functionality.
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, you won't find a better database. If there was another app to which one could load the pgpsw data, that would be magic. Would be grateful if you could report back on any progress.
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it would great if it could just return to the format before BAR was dropped. It worked brilliantly up to then.

I would happily make more donations if we could get any response from pgpsw here, which is the only route we have to raise these fundamental issues.

There should be a direct line for basic functionality complaints.
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to say I’ve been using CamerAlert as a background app on my iPhone XR with both Google maps and Waze, and had it running in the background for both of these whilst running them in Apple Carplay, and CameraAlert has never failed to give me alerts whilst running any of the above apps.
All the alerts are set up to come across my car’s Infotainment system as Bluetooth calls and work fine.

I hope you get an answer as to why you cannot get it to work, but as I say, for me it works fine.

Steve
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Does CA apear in you Background Apps Refresh list in General Settings? For me CA does work for a while using Bluetooth speaker in one car, Bluetooth entertainment system in another, but drops out in the next 5 to 30 minutes. It's inconsistent and used not to be.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: