Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 Go replacement advice please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 Go replacement advice please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: TomTom 720 Go replacement advice please. Reply with quote

Hi, it’s a long time since I’ve been on the forum. TomTom has emailed to say my 720 Go and it’s maps will no longer be updated and offering me a new 620 Go for £187.

I’m quite out of touch with the current ranges of SatNavs so I don’t know what’s the best buy. I see some TomToms on Amazon for a lot less but would they be any good.

Recently I’ve been using the TomTom app on my Android phone and like the extra features that the old 720 doesn’t have, like traffic, but I’d really like another PND with the bigger screen and free map updates etc.

Please can you help me to decide?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the PGPSW speedcams toi work as expected, then you have had it with TT. They no longer do third party POI alerts.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame but not the end of the world because I tend to watch my speed anyway. And i do most of my driving off-Island in France. I usually only drive in the UK for a week or two a year. I didn't find the speed cameras much use on my phone on my last trip.

I really don't want to move away from TomTom and don't fancy Garmin. I don't know anything about other brands.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point 1. Your 720 is an excellent device AND it is NOT going to die from lack of support from TomTom. From the number of your map I’m guessing it’s five years or more since you last got a map, so the threat to drop maps for you is a bit empty. Personally, I recommend you buy the latest map and just carry on using it until it physically dies.

Point 2. If you are going for a new one for the sake of HD Traffic, I’d recommend the 6200 rather than 620. The 620 requires Bluetooth connection to your smartphone to access TT services, but the 6200 has a built in SIM.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom 720 Go replacement advice please. Reply with quote

Hi Calomax,

I'm possibly not the best to offer advice as I don't have a modern TomTom PND and I run an iPhone and not an Android phone. However if you don't mind I'll give you my views.

As a TomTom user for a long time (early 2003 to present) I've seen a lot of innovation but also a lot of lost functionality in later products. I think that the top product was my old 950 Live model.

I moved to the iOS TomTom app on my iPhone several years ago. It was ideal for me as I have a large screen phone and POIs could be loaded via a PC/Mac program called iMazing. I didn't need POI alerts as I use CamerAlert in the background for audio alerting.

In September 2017, TomTom pulled the plug on the old legacy iPhone app, so I moved over to the newer iOS GO Mobile app which is rather basic when compared to the old legacy iPhone app, but it's just about usable when used with an iOS app called POIViewer which allows you to navigate to POIs - it's a bit longwinded but you get used to it.

Calomax wrote:
Recently I’ve been using the TomTom app on my Android phone and like the extra features that the old 720 doesn’t have, like traffic, but I’d really like another PND with the bigger screen and free map updates etc.

As the TomTom app has traffic, I presume that it's TomTom Android GO Mobile, which I believe is a bit more advanced than the iOS version - especially as you can load custom POIs via MyDrive.

If you're used to TomTom Android GO Mobile then any of the modern TomTom PNDs should be familiar and easy to use. I agree with DennisN's advice of going for a TomTom PND with built in SIM. If you want PGPSW camera warnings then run CamerAlert on your Android.

Modern TomTom products even if they load custom POIs will not show them on the screen - you can only navigate to them. If you're used to this then I would recommend that you stay with TomTom.

As custom POIs are import to me, I bought a Garmin Camper PND a year ago and found it great for showing POIs on a nice large screen but the routing is poor and the traffic is worse than TomTom's own traffic. So my primary SatNav is still the very basic and underdeveloped iOS GO Mobile app.

Summing up
In my opinion (others may disagree) TomTom is better then Garmin for routing and traffic. It depends on how much you need custom POIs:

1. If you don't use custom POIs then use TomTom
2. If you want to navigate to custom POIs but don't need then on screen then use TomTom.
3. If you need custom POIs to show on screen then think about Garmin.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Point 1. Your 720 is an excellent device AND it is NOT going to die from lack of support from TomTom. From the number of your map I’m guessing it’s five years or more since you last got a map, so the threat to drop maps for you is a bit empty. Personally, I recommend you buy the latest map and just carry on using it until it physically dies.

Sorry Denis, you're wrong there as the 720 (Serial M6 or M9?) HAS been End-of-Lifed by TT so one cannot (legitimately) get any new maps installed but we all know about the magic of Google search Wink

PS there's always the RDS/TMC receiver available for Traffic
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm getting confused, you see, I still have a valid map update service for my GO520 (M2) - I bought the service when it was 12 months and then again before that expired for 18 months. The details are (in my opinion) poor - if m y device WILL still get the maps until May next year, why won't they work for any other Nav 2 device? I just assumed that if mine works, so would anybody else's, the difference being that they pay a full price instead of the discounted map update service. That's the problem with being an elderly.
TT in November 2016 wrote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Mayur and it will be my pleasure to assist you further in regards to knowing the status of your purchased map updates subscription.

The reference number for your query is 161123-003872.

Let me first apologise for the inconveniences caused and the delay in response.

With regards to your query, I would like to inform you that due to the age of devices and the limitations of its internal memory, it is no longer possible to update it with new software or buy new maps and services. However, your active subscriptions will continue as normal but you will not be able to renew them once they get expired

I can also confirm from your account that your purchased map updates subscription is active until 19/5/2019, which means you will be able to update maps until this date.
My device did not suddenly get any younger or increase its internal memory when I bought the subscription. So basically, they're talking a load of rap. In November 2016, they said it is no longer possible, yet it IS possible for me! All they're doing is probably having some sort of check for device numbers then stopping the purchase. But I do wonder whether it might be possible to ignore any statement and still buy a map.

By the way, in my opinion, RDS-TMC is no more reliable than Radio 5 Live traffic reports - all it does is offer the ability to re-route round a traffic problem, but it's so out of date I always used to ignore it.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the above post, in October 2016 I bought a 12 month map update service subscription, then in November 2016 I bought an 18 month update service subscription which was added onto the end of the previous one - hence map updates until May 2019.

I shall feel blessed if my 520 survives that long - it really is ailing these days! It has features which are no longer available in all my later TomTom stuff.

justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately you bought new map subs just before they pulled the plug on these older devices.
It was actually useful to be able to buy map subs (ideally at the right time with a decent discount around maybe) and then repeat this 24 hours later which would then ADD the new sub on to the end of the current/previous duration Wink
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 720 Go replacement advice please. Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi Calomax,

1. If you don't use custom POIs then use TomTom
2. If you want to navigate to custom POIs but don't need then on screen then use TomTom.
3. If you need custom POIs to show on screen then think about Garmin.

Regards,

The last time I tried a garmin (a few years) you could only see the poi in "map view" not on the nav screen.

Has that changed?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I’ve only just had the notification of a new post which turned out to be Privateer's post on the 11th. You’ve given me food for thought. I’m not desperate for a new one at present and can better TomTom's "discounted" offer for a new 620 so don’t need to rush, but would probably go for that model as I don’t use it very often and would be happy to connect to my phone with Bluetooth rather than spend another £100 on a 6200.

I might see what comes up on Black Friday next month but might stick with the old 720 for now, especially since it had a new touch screen last year. Having used the Android app recently I prefer a proper PND. And I think I can manage without traffic.

I wish I had purchased a new map last year but I don’t think roads where we usually go change very much so I think old faithful will do for a while longer.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Just to add to the above post, in October 2016 I bought a 12 month map update service subscription, then in November 2016 I bought an 18 month update service subscription which was added onto the end of the previous one - hence map updates until May 2019.

I shall feel blessed if my 520 survives that long - it really is ailing these days! It has features which are no longer available in all my later TomTom stuff.

My subscription runs to the end of November 2019.

I thought my ONE 1st Edition (G1) was a goner a couple of weeks ago, but for £4.50 I replaced the digitiser and all is well again.

At that time I borrowed a few modern TTs and they were all poor by comparison. The One V1 doesn't slow up, however many POIs are on the screen. POI proximity warnings work well and as it runs from a 4GB SD card so I just have to stick the card in a reader to update. The later TTs seem to lost all the features I find useful.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, I decided to connect to Home even though TomTom said it's no longer being supported. It updated the maps immediately so I must have still had some of my last subscription left. So old faithful will go on for a while yet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: