Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM POI COMMENTS:
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM POI COMMENTS:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobMob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TOMTOM POI COMMENTS: Reply with quote

Duncan

I have just obtained an "up to date" excell spreadsheet fron Sheel of all their garages. I have MapPoint - how do I now go about getting the Long/Lat - I fear I may have some add-ons missing as it is a company install and not all the options show up in black.

Regards

Rob
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TOMTOM POI COMMENTS: Reply with quote

This may well be a FAQ but is there any possibility of the Safety camera database being split into speed groups? Also what is the preferred position for cameras, the actual position at the side of the road or in the middle of the lane?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

We have updated the POI-Sync Service and the TomTom POI Page with 5 new POI's for the UK. These include:-
  • Shell NW Service Stations Consolidated
  • Harry Ramsdens
  • Hungry Horse
  • David Lloyd Leisure Clubs
  • Ceroc Dance Venues
Thanks to Nick Williams, Laura Bunce and Phil Motley for producing these POI files. To see the new POI's on the Sync Service, make sure you exit POIEdit and re-run it and connect to see the new POI's, or download them manually from the TomTom POI Page.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisH on 25 June 2003

What are the 'PG' POIs in the UK section?

The starting/parking points for yet more walks! The PG stands for Pathfinder Guide, a publication from Jarrold in conjunction with the Ordnance Survey. There are 28 walks in each publication and usually there is a pub half-way round the walk. The guides are readily available in bookshops.

Richard
ChrisH
Occasional Visitor

What are the 'PG' POIs in the UK section?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It's something I've been thinking about, tbh once a POI is created we seldom get extra entries for it to update it.

The new Sync service should take care of this, but we can add a date to the static page.
RobMob
Regular Visitor

Thanks to all who added these. Especially the McDonalds (I have 2 youngsters)!!

Is it possible to have a last updated date next to POIs in the list. I have a Shell POI that I understand is a little out of date - hoever I do not know from the list how up to date the Shell POI just posted is. I will obviously assume far more up to date than mine - thats why I have not posted mine before as I found quite a number just in my area had closed down.

Your thoughts?

RobMob
JimC
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 09 March 2003

This would be cool. In a sense you could do it now with GPSAssist and TomTom Navigator. I'm not sure how many POI files GPSAssist could handle, but it's possible.

Subject: [adhos-mstrs] University of Kent wins twice in Sittingbourne Start

Up Challenge

5 June 2003

University of Kent wins twice in Sittingbourne Start Up Challenge

Researchers at the University of Kent's Electronic System Design Centre(ESDC) - led by Senior Lecturer in Electronics, Winston Waller - developed the prototype for the 'Soundscape' audio tour system that won local company Turning Points first prize in the recent 2003 Start Up Challenge Competition at the Sittingbourne Enterprise Hub launch.

Turning Points' 'Soundscape' is a GPS (global positioning system) adapted to produce a unique audio experience for people travelling by coach, boat,

rail or car. It adapts to route changes off the beaten track so that passengers can listen to commentaries about the area as they drive through.

Turning Points Director, Ian Walsh, says of the project, 'ESDC was instrumental in moving the project forward when we needed to show that our ideas could be realised technically. Winston's ready grasp of the concept and reassuringly practical approach meant that we were quickly able to determine not only practicality but also commercial feasibility. As we move into production we shall continue to draw upon ESDC's expertise.'

kkoeniger
Occasional Visitor

Are all of these POIs static only or can they be syncronised with POI-Warner at Pocketnavigation or POI-Handler ?

Karl
DavidM
Regular Visitor

Rob Mob - the Shell POI sounds great - I attempt to only use Optimax in the car and would find that really helpful

DavidM
nicknick
Regular Visitor

Check http://www.geocaching.com

NN
ChrisH
Occasional Visitor

What is a 'geocache' - when would the POI data be useful?

Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Please post any comments or added features you would like to see about the TomTom Points of Interest article in this message
Kram
Regular Visitor

Duncan, the wrong/problematic postcode thing could explain it then. Thanks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by PeterB on 09 March 2003

I wonder if anyone has noticed the Driving section of today's Sunday times!!!!!!!!!?

I've just read that, it's certainly a good idea, one of those 'Why didn't I think of that' ideas! Would be great if TomTom or the like could produce something similar as an add-on extra cost option.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: