Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I can't remember off hand which one, but avoid the one with the dashcam.

OK, I already have RoadHawk HD-2s front and rear so I would prefer a unit that's a decent SatNav and not a "Jack-of-all-trades"! Wink

Kremmen wrote:
The camera is central so the mount is on the edge and I found this causes vibration over uneven surfaces.

I have a 2004 Discovery and a 2002 Land Rover Defender so the SatNav won't get the smoothest of rides! Laughing

Kremmen wrote:
Suss and M bought these recently so will know which model to opt for.

OK, I'll wait for their advice.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking here https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/cOnTheRoad-p1.html

Garmin also did a world traveller edition for a while that gave lifetime maps for 5 continents but I'm not sure if it's still available. If you buy additional maps for any Garmin device then they won't be lifetime ones as they're only available when purchased already installed to a device.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sussamb,

Thanks for the above link. I definitely don't want one with a built-in dashcam but I do want one with 6.95" screen. I'm also thinking that the RV one will be necessary so that I can create a profile for a large vehicle to avoid narrow roads and also for when I'm towing a trailer.

Unfortunately the Garmin website isn't easy to do direct comparison with car, RV/Caravan, Truck.

Can I ask again about traffic:
-S is RDS
-D is Digital from DAB radio.

I'm guessing that the -D traffic is better than the -S?
Does the -D traffic cover all of the UK and Europe?
How good is the traffic in general? TomTom traffic is normally very accurate and covers all roads. Is the Garmin traffic the same?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-D (DAB) traffic is very good, probably equal to the TomTom traffic.
-S (Smartphone) uses a bluetooth link to your smartphone to get traffic, the data seems to be the same as the DAB traffic.
The -D version can use TMC traffic (not as good) as a backup if it can't get a DAB signal.
I can happily recommend the -D versions. They get their DAB signal through the charging cable plugged into your car power point.

You can still use the smartphone traffic on the -D versions if you wish but you need to choose one or the other, it doesn't switch automatically between DAB and smartphone when you go into or out of a signal area.

I don't normally use any of the smartphone features and don't have the Garmin connected to the phone. My phone is connected to the vehicle hands free system and it can't connect by Bluetooth to two devices at the same time.

I have no idea about European coverage, sorry.

Edit: there is a traffic coverage map here, scroll down towards the bottom and click the "see traffic coverage" link.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Does the -D traffic cover all of the UK and Europe?

I've had it active in RoI, France, Belgium, Germany, Spain and Portugal. And IIRC, the Channel Islands. I've tended to avoid busy areas so not experienced much in the way of re-routing but it's easy to tell it's active.

It can go dead in the wilds of Scotland, but then there's hardly any traffic to report on.

Privateer wrote:

How good is the traffic in general?

It's generally very good and accurate. They use Inrix. There's few a hiccups, usually because of delays in posting or removing the live data.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everybody here, especially sussamb, pcaouolte and BigJohnD.

I have just done the deed and ordered a Garmin Camper 770LMT-D 6.95-inch Sat Nav with Full Europe Lifetime Maps, Free Lifetime Digital Traffic, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, from Amazon (for £331.00) so it should arrive tomorrow! Thumbs Up

I hope that I've bought the right one! Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I hope you will be pleased with it when it comes. There is not much info here about the camper versions, I would be interested to know how its routing performs when you have had a chance to get used to it.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
There is not much info here about the camper versions, I would be interested to know how its routing performs when you have had a chance to get used to it.

Likewise!

On the Isle of Wight, the Whitefield Camping site gives a very strong recommendation to Caravan and Camper Drivers not to follow the SatNav determined route from the Cowes Ferry Terminal. They are right! It was bad enough in a car. The easiest route is to follow the main road all the way but of course it's not the shortest and the satnav doesn't seem to know that de-restricted narrow roads with passing places, tight bends and steep inclines are not the fastest.

Last edited by BigJohnD on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately if the map data has a road as unrestricted any satnav will treat it as such. It would though seem logical that as the camper and dezl versions use the same map there must be data there that covers road widths etc but unfortunately there is no setting on the nuvi and drive models allowing it to ignore roads less than x feet wide Smile
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents

Thanks to all have contributed, all advice for myself and all others is most welcome.

For my situation, I was chatting to someone who had similar problems and they suggested I try changing the battery in my TomTom Go1005.

I have tried this and it seems to have returned my pnd back to its normal self (for now), but has only been tested in a few situations so may be too early to tell.

But should it fail, well my next device will be the DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
GO 920 Dead
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin forum

An update on the Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D.

A few days after buying the Garmin, I drove down to Poole and took the ferry to Jersey (Channel Islands). I had both the legacy TomTom app on my iPhone and the Garmin running on the trip and it was a good way to see how the Garmin worked compared to TomTom.

Whilst in Jersey I've had both SatNavs running simultaneously most of the time. I have found that when set to Fastest route, the Garmin does take the most direct route which generally means those pesky single track roads that are barely wide enough for a car let alone a lorry. I know TomTom has its IQ Routes but does Garmin have its own version of IQ Routes and if so, how's does it compare to IQ Routes?

Now, Jersey is perhaps a little unfair to test a new SatNav in. However the 770 LMT-D is a camper version so you can have it set to a normal car or you can define a larger camper i.e. an RV or a car towing a caravan (or trailer). What's more, you can have several different settings for camper and caravan. I've tried various combinations of statistics for both camper and caravan including silly ones and they do make a difference. However as I previously said, it is a little unfair to use Jersey as a testing ground because most Routes the TomTom takes will include a single track road! In the end I reverted back to the car setting and drove a route based on a hybrid combination of Garmin and TomTom.

The Garmin will route you ok around Jersey, it just uses a slightly different route than what TomTom might suggest.

I may have to wait until I'm back in mainland UK before I have another experiment with vehicle dimensions.

I have my own custom POIs for Jersey loaded on both the legacy TomTom app on my iPhone and also the Garmin. The Garmin uses those custom POIs very well.

I'm in Jersey for a couple more days if anybody would like me to test any vehicle dimensions for the 770 to use for routing then please let me know.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
6. Although you can record the location of Favourite destinations directly on the Garmin it will not let you change custom POIs directly on the device, they must be changed on a computer and then uploaded to the Garmin.

Oh no, my (not worst) fear seem to be confirmed here.

Since TT stopped Custom POI's and then Sygic did similar, I've been using my old TomTom. It doesn't even have the M6 Toll!!

I thought it was maybe time to look for an alternative, so bought a Garmin 2699.

I've converted and uploaded some old TT ov2 files, expecting to be able to edit/add/delete on the device. It appears this may not be the case.

I fear I've wasted my money Sad

Oh well, back to driving through fields at 70mph Smile

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 running old version of Sygic GPS Navigation
Replaced TomTom GO920
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adjust them on the PC ready for the next POIloader run.

You can view and tweak them in Basecamp AFAIK.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on exactly what you're talking about. Garmin have favourites which can be added/edited etc on the device itself. POIs can't be.
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks both, you've saved me a lot of unnecessary fiddling.

I cover a large area in my job and like to save POI's for things like sandwich shops, that I'd used and like. I bought this as I thought I could add and delete on the device, sadly no.

However, having categorised favourites may be a work around. Can they have seperate sounds and/or warnings?

Cheers in anticipation

Peter

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 running old version of Sygic GPS Navigation
Replaced TomTom GO920

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: