Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybea_0989375
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation

I have a customer and project POI's with custom warnings I used on my TomTom, which now with a bit of patience and magic dust I can convert to Garmin

There is some useful information on POILoader and the GPI file specification on the Garmin site. http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp

You cannot route to all POI types: I think the main exclusion is POIs that have a speed alert, because I can route to Motorway Services that have Proximity data.

You can associate custom tones/voices with any POI by including a .WAV file of the same name as the appropriate .CSV or GPX file in the folder that POILoader works from. However, you do need to set a Proximity (or speed) value for the announcement to work (either voice or tone), as far as I can tell.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Proximity' is an internal element of the GPX file. I use it extensively in the CSV Converter.

CSV files will only add a proximity if the filename conforms to a standard. I haven't investigated whether something like 'mcdonalds30.csv' would do the trick.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jaybea_0989375
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
CSV files will only add a proximity if the filename conforms to a standard. I haven't investigated whether something like 'mcdonalds30.csv' would do the trick.

According to the spec:

Code:
Speed information in the individual POI name is preceded by the "@" sign: “Speed@20”. Speed information in the filename is preceded by an underscore, “Speed_30”.

Certain keywords included in the POI name or filename trigger proximity alerts. If a filename contains “GATSO,” “mobile,” "SPECS,” “safety,” “speed,” “redlight” or “camera” but does not have any speed information, the POI Loader uses an alert speed of 0 which always generates an alert at a distance of 400 meters or .25 miles. Proximity alert information can also be added to individual POIs using BaseCamp.

This is for speed-based proximity. If you want proximity based on distance (the proximity alert information mentioned above), it appears that you have to enter a figure in the Proximity field of a POI in a GPX file, which you can do in Basecamp.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a TomTom user (iOS app and you should see the awful iOS GO Mobile app) who's also disapointed with TomTom, I've been watch thing this thread with interest.

jaybea_0989375 wrote:
I have not driven with the Garmin enough to compare yet (the tests have been done simulating routes: down to Cornwall next week for a proper test), but the large screen is great, as I don't have to squint to read it![/b]

jaybea_0989375, the A30 in Cornwall should now be mostly dual carriageway. Could you let us know if the latest maps do show up as dual carriageway?

The other thing that I'm picking up is the rating of Garmin, i.e. it's keenness to use narrow roads. So if I were to buy a Garmin, would it be worth paying more to buy the RV/Caravan or even the truck version so I get the ability to dial-in the size of a large vehicle in order to avoid the narrow lanes?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
jaybea_0989375
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
...the A30 in Cornwall should now be mostly dual carriageway. Could you let us know if the latest maps do show up as dual carriageway?

As the A556 relief road near Manchester is not showing yet (on Garmin or TomTom) I don't hold out much hope, but I will check. When we went down at Christmas they were still working on it, but by now, hopefully, the only bit of single-carriageway road is the Zelah bypass on the approach to the A390 roundabout.

It is a bit of a change from the days when the M5 used to finish at Taunton and most of the A30 through Cornwall was single-carriageway!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

jaybea_0989375, the A30 in Cornwall should now be mostly dual carriageway. Could you let us know if the latest maps do show up as dual carriageway?

The other thing that I'm picking up is the rating of Garmin, i.e. it's keenness to use narrow roads. So if I were to buy a Garmin, would it be worth paying more to buy the RV/Caravan or even the truck version so I get the ability to dial-in the size of a large vehicle in order to avoid the narrow lanes?

Thanks,

I was in Cornwall last week and drove most of the A30 with the Garmin and the latest maps. Almost all of the dual carriageway sections were correct on the map but there was one dual carriageway section (which still had the diggers on the verges) which the Garmin showed as single carriageway. This section had probably been changed after the last map was issued.

I had also considered the RV/Caravan version of the Garmin but I read somewhere that it ignores the vehicle size if the weight is entered as less than 3500kg. I don't know if this is correct, hopefully someone with an RV/Caravan version can confirm.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybea_0989375 wrote:
As the A556 relief road near Manchester is not showing yet (on Garmin or TomTom) I don't hold out much hope, but I will check.

Part of the new construction of the A556 off M56 J7 is showing on my latest map. (2018.1)

However all of the Airport Eastern by-pass is displayed even though it's still only bare earth for the most part. (I expect the residents of Ringway Road and Heald Green will be pleased when the by-pass opens and all the traffic is diverted away along it.)

Screen capture from Basecamp:

Last edited by BigJohnD on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
I was in Cornwall last week and drove most of the A30 with the Garmin and the latest maps. Almost all of the dual carriageway sections were correct on the map but there was one dual carriageway section (which still had the diggers on the verges) which the Garmin showed as single carriageway. This section had probably been changed after the last map was issued.

Thanks for that! Thumbs Up I was down in Cornwall in early June 2017 when the A40 was still major road works. Glad to hear that the Garmin already has the A30 as mainly dual carriageway.

pcaouolte wrote:
I had also considered the RV/Caravan version of the Garmin but I read somewhere that it ignores the vehicle size if the weight is entered as less than 3500kg. I don't know if this is correct, hopefully someone with an RV/Caravan version can confirm.

Hopefully somebody else with an RV/Caravan version can say what it's like.

Anybody use a Garmin with a Mac (as opposed to Windows PC)? I believe that Kremmen's excellent CSV Converter is Windows only so I'd either have to run PGPSW speed camera stadbase as just POIs (with CamerAlert for audio) or I'd have to get my old Windows laptop working again.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Cameras do have spoken voices if you download them from here - and follow the instructions to the letter.

Other POI's I would think could possibly be done if you have a suitable wav file. Not tried it though.

Garmin is certainly more flexible regarding POi's than TT.

Garmin have responded to a pre-sales message I sent to their customer support sent a hew hours before I posted my original questions, and this is with regard to custom voices for my own 3rd party POI's I use for business.

The replied today with:
"Unfortunately you cannot use custom voices with our devices. You can only use the voices that come pre-loaded with Garmin units due to some of the new features on the units such as Garmin Real Directions. I apologise for the inconvenience.
Kind regards,
Thomas
Garmin Europe
"

I know it is not devastating, but my job involves visiting some interesting places with hidden entrances, I like to add a custom warning when 300 metres away that I am approaching the turning or entrance
GO 920 Dead
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing we've found over the years is not to ask Garmin support any questions. They don't read or understand the question which leads to their reply being rubbish.

I recently asked about Trayicon.exe but they kept banging on about GarminExpress.exe and providing info about a problem I didn't have. I gave up.

If you have a CSV file with POi's then create a matching BMP and WAV file. Run it through POILoader and see what happens.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've misunderstood what they've said, and maybe they didn't read your query correctly. You can't use custom voices to announce directions etc that are part of your route or any other Garmin warning. You can however use custom sound files for POIs etc as K points out.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that you can't use custom voices is that custom voices have 'pre-recorded' phrases and the Garmin uses text to speech engine, which reads the (say) road name and reads it out.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like Garmin support have done their usual.

The question was about POI voices

The answer was related to navigation voices
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
The one thing we've found over the years is not to ask Garmin support any questions. They don't read or understand the question which leads to their reply being rubbish.

OK, so a major lesson here is that Garmin support don't fully understand their products so it's best to ask for advice in this forum! Thumbs Up

I'm afraid that I have a lot of questions, so to start the ball rolling. I understand that it's best to get a Garmin PND with "LMT-D" in its name as that denotes a device with free lifetime (whatever that actually means) and free digital traffic which is the best traffic that you can get on a Garmin unit.

Today Bo Peep and I went to a Halfords and saw the following units, prices are shown just for reference:
  • DriveSmart 61 LMT-D Full Europe with WiFi (£249.99)
  • DriveAssist 51 LMT-D Full Europe with WiFi (£299.99)
  • DriveLux 51 LMT-D Full Europe with WiFi (£319.99)
I understand the 51/61 is screen size, i.e. 51 = 5" and 61 = 6.95". I would prefer a larger screen. But what is the difference between DriveSmart, DriveAssist, and DriveLux?

I would like Full Europe maps minimum. Are there any units that do Full World LMT or can you buy (one off) LMT maps for America, Australia, etc.?

Last thing, as far as this post is concerned, I'm concerned that Garmin units route via the most direct route which may be a narrow single track road. I'd like the option to avoid narrow roads so I'm thinking a Garmin RV/Caravan unit (whilst I don't have either an RV or a caravan, I do often tow a large trailer) or even a Garmin Truck unit so I can set the preference for a vehicle that won't be routed via narrow roads, especially when I am towing. Thumbs Up

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember off hand which one, but avoid the one with the dashcam. The camera is central so the mount is on the edge and I found this causes vibration over uneven surfaces.

Suss and M bought these recently so will know which model to opt for.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: