Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D Reply with quote

Seeking advice on Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D as a possible replacement for my ailing TomTom Go1005 and would appreciate some advice about this unit before jumping in with both feet unprepared.

First: custom POI's with voice prompts are a must, and not just for PGPSW cameras, therefore how easy is transferring the data from TomTom to the Garmin, will I need to use a conversion software to make them compatible with the Garmin.

2nd: Can map colours/Themes be changed or even customised?

3rd: How good is the Digital traffic compared to TomToms and what is effective distances threshold when on route traffic has occurred - like TomToms will indicate traffic on my route when it is approx 40 miles away

4th: What traffic option is there when not travelling through a non DAB area/country,

Thanks for your responses in advance
GO 920 Dead
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick basic reply .....

Garmin has POi's with voice prompts and icons as required. They are installed via Garmins POILoader that matches CSV, BMP and WAV files. There are instructions already posted when you're ready.

I have no idea about converting existing TT POI's.

There are themes available. I leave mine on the UK theme because I like that colour scheme but there are others.

Digital traffic via the TA cable is, as you've queried, only available in signal areas. For non signal areas you can use Garmins Smartlink that gets the data via your smartphone.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Last edited by Kremmen on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen

Thanks for your response.
GO 920 Dead
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
For non signal areas you can use Garmins Smartlink that gets the data via your smartphone.
Providing that you are in a mobile phone coverage area. Laughing
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you Google 'Extra POI Editor' you will find something to do the conversion from OV2 to GPX (Garmin).
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I worded it made it sound iffy.

The TA coverage is good, it's only the wilds of Scotland and other outlying areas where you may have an issue.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding map colours - Themes could be customised using a free download programme called Map Theme Maker. I assume that it is still available and works on the newest nuvis.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents

Thanks for all the advice you have given.

Looks like decision is made and will be jumping ship to Garmin in the near future.

I would love to stay with TomTom, but they have dumbed down their units too much.

I did have fears about Garmin doing the same for the 2017 devices, but reading the forum reassured me that all the fears for 3rd party poi's were unjustified and problems were misunderstandings where data was stored for these devices

Again thanks everyone

Thumbs Up
GO 920 Dead
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig out my Converter to allow further customisation of the cameras from here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=91951
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted from TomTom to Garmin about 6 months ago and have the following observations about the Garmin:

1. The routing is not as good as the TomTom. The Garmin has an annoying tendency to take shortcuts down small lanes where the TomTom would stay on a larger road.
2. The Garmin will often give directions which include road names rather than road numbers. You find the road number on signs and lane makings but not the road name announced by the Garmin.
3. The Garmin likes the unnecessary instruction "enter the roundabout". This is particularly annoying when leaving a motorway as the instruction that you get is "Take the slip road on the left, then enter the roundabout". You end up part way down the slip road before it announces which exit you should take at the roundabout. This can lead to late lane changes on the slip road.
4. The Garmin is not as good as TomTom at queueing it's verbal instructions. Sometimes it will announce direction instructions and traffic problems at exactly the same time. Announcements for custom POIs (speed camera warnings) are not queued at all, you often get part of the warning cut off by a direction instruction.
5. The Garmin gives more (unnecessary) instructions than the TomTom, for example "continue on the road".
6. Although you can record the location of Favourite destinations directly on the Garmin it will not let you change custom POIs directly on the device, they must be changed on a computer and then uploaded to the Garmin.
7. It is possible to customise map colours on the Garmin but this is much more difficult than the TomTom.
8. It is possible to design your own vehicle to display as a marker on the map but again this is much more difficult than the TomTom.

If I could get the PGPSW speed cameras onto a TomTom I would go back to them.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the above is naturally personal, what to one person is annoying shortcuts for example is to others a useful route. Also for example some slip roads don't lead to roundabouts.

While occasionally my Garmin makes me wonder what on earth it's doing I've driven tens of thousands of miles both in the UK and in Europe and am generally very happy with it.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin Driveluxe 50 LMT-D sent me down one of those horrible single track roads today. I've just tried planning the same journey with Base Camp and it planned a much more sensible route. Why, since it is using the same map? I would upload screenshots if I could, but I can't do that on this forum.

I just hope Garmin sort this and the road names (instead of road numbers) problem at roundabouts when they release the next update, but I'm not holding my breath. TomTom are just as inept at this as well.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you post screenshots ?

Link from imgur for example.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaseCamp routes can differ due to different avoidance or routing settings between BC and your device. Even then if everything matches the routing algorithms are probably different. I sometimes notice a subtle difference between the two even though I have everything matched.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Why can't you post screenshots ?
Why would you want to? Don't we believe him?

@cottonsox. You have to upload the shots to the likes of photobucket and then post a link to them. You cannot loads pics directly onto the forum. (but we do believe you.) Most everyone has come across strange routeing at some time or another and know exactly what you mean. Very Happy
Only sussamb has never had it. Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: