Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need a New Sat Nav.....some Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a New Sat Nav.....some Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can still get a '50' I'd go for that as it is much cheaper than the newer '51' units and essentially the same apart from the 'differences' you point out. Live Parking needs a smartphone connection to 'pull' the data so don't think this is something you get for free as it isn't.

I've had a driveluxe 50 and 51 and they are as near identical in performance as it is possible to get. 'Wi-Fi' updates are a bit of a gimmick as you need to connect to a PC every week to update the speed cams from this website
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Driveluxe LMT-D 50 and a TomTom GO5100. Both have their good and bad points. The things I like most about the Garmin are 1) The display is clearer/brighter; 2) PGPSW cameras can be used and can be customised (I have made the icons bigger and changed some of the sounds); 3) Roads you never want to use can be permanently blocked. Things I like most about the TomTom are 1) The sidebar display - it's more narrow and semi-transparent; 2) It displays your average speed on certain motorway speed-controlled areas; 3) Being able to add waypoints via any Internet-connected PC, which then automatically load when you start up the sat nav and 4) Live traffic (via a built-in SIM card).
Things I don't like so much on the Garmin: 1) The lack of road numbers in directions given at many roundabouts (a major flaw in my opinion - see separate threads on this topic); 2) The map display auto zoom is a bit dodgy at times; 3) Traffic often not too accurate; 4) The volume of warning sounds cannot be adjusted.
Things I don't like about the TomTom: 1) Poor support for custom POIs, so cannot use PGPSW camera database; 2) Mobile speed cameras database is rubbish (which is a pity, because the fixed cameras warnings are very good); 3) Battery life never was up to much and on my unit at least, is now almost non-existent; 4) The display can be quite dim if the power to your car accessory is a tad below par.

Finally, the thing I most dislike about both units is the inability to avoid single track country lanes (several threads on this topic as well). But hey ho, I suppose it's better than having to keep stopping to read a map. Hope this helps.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other annoying feature of my TomTom GO5100 that I forgot to mention is that the map changes back to 2D and zooms right out when you reach the end of your planned route, so if you want to drive a little further, you have to fiddle with the display to get back to autozoom 3D view.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that wouldn't worry me, I always run with my satnav in 2D mode, have never liked the so called 3D mode Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's fine, but would you want it to zoom right out?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... not sure. Guess the answer is 'it depends' Wink
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Picked up a Drivesmart 50 LMT-D at the weekend have set up the speed cams using Kremmens excellent program.
Had a bit of a drive around and am pretty pleased with it.

I have a couple of question re the speed cam and voice set up:

1. Do I have to copy the voice files and icon files to the working directory each time I update the cameras, or is it simply a case of just overwriting the camera files when I extract them?

2. If I wanted to use the old Real voice warnings like Liz Whitaker. Are the wav files incomplete, as I don't seem to have some like nospeed in the download?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No. Just leave them there and just extract the .CSV files using the programme as the filenames are changed during the extraction process (I think that's right, but Kremmen will be along at a silly hour tomorrow morning and give you the definitive reply). You have read his help file I assume?
2a. ????? But I don't think so.
2b. The 'missing' files are in Kremmen's download.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M has covered it all. I don't think Liz has the tba voices either.

As said, each download, use the bold 'extract cameras' and leave your bmp and wav untouched.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you getting on with that Drivesmart 50 Hammer? My 7 year old Nuvi 1390 needs a new battery but sorting it looks to be more trouble than it'll be worth so I'm thinking maybe a DS50.....however, there seems lots of negative feedback from owners on a few retail sites and it's made me a little hesitant......not that £130 is big money but I don't want a load of hassle.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a DriveSmart 50LMT-D for a while now, having previously had a 1310, 1490 and 2508.

Best yet, I suspect those moaning on retail sites have no real concept of what a satnav can do and/or haven't read the manual. If you get stuck there is of course lots of advice available here Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some owner reviews with a pinch of salt.

The vast majority of reviews tend to be just after they have unpacked the box, slightest hitch and they mark it down. As Suss says it takes time these days to get used to them and set them up.

Try and find reviews that are after a few months or longer of ownership.

I've had some Amazon sellers asking me for a review after only a few days of a product arriving. I reply telling them a few days isn't long enough to report durability. They sometimes get angry to which I ask them what have they got to hide.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads, I sure I'll be OK with another Garmin.......apart from a brief flirt with TomTom around 2004 and Sony in 2007, all my many navigation devices have been Garmin Started with a '38' in 1996. Most have been good, GPSII, IIIplus, 'V', Zumo 550 & Nuvi 1390. A few were not so good, iQue, Streetpilot and Zumo 400 and one, an early Quest, has been outstanding.....still in regular use (on my pushbike) after more than 13 years! The (original) battery life, both in storage and in use, is amazing. £400 well spent. Might get myself down to John Lewis this weekend and do the deed......thanks again.
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Berisford, only just picked up on your post.

I've been using the Drivesmart 50 for a couple of months now and overall I'm very happy with it.

Thanks to Kremmen's excellent program I have all the speed cam warnings set up and working nicely.

I've also copied over a lot of my old custom POIs from my old Tom Tom.

As people have said in other posts, sometimes the routing takes you off down narrow lanes when out in the country. It gets you where you want to go, but I found the Tom Tom did this less. It would be nice to be able to customise this, as on some recent drives it would have been easier to stay on the main roads.

I also find the traffic whilst ok, is not as accurate and responsive as on the Tom Tom. I often find myself in traffic before the unit tells me about it. No major delays but I found the Tom Tom better for advance warning than the Garmin.

But those few points aside, I do like the Garmin, and seeing as Tom Tom have dumbed down the latest models restricting customisation, the Garmin devices allow you to keep in control of that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: