Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need a New Sat Nav.....some Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a New Sat Nav.....some Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Need a New Sat Nav.....some Questions Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace my old Tom Tom Go 550 as I've recently been informed I can no longer update the maps or use the Live Traffic Services.

I still want to use the PGWS Speed cams and voice warnings, so that rules out another Tom Tom.

So I'm looking at the Garmin models but am a bit overwhelmed by the array of different models available.

1. I'm guessing the 50/51 models would be the closest screen size to my old Go 550? Not sure if it's worth paying extra for the larger 6" models? What are peoples experience on this?

2. For the traffic services, is the service the same traffic data for the LMT-D and LMT-S models? Is the DAB system worth the extra?

3. I'm not sure if I need the Drivesmart model or just the Drive would suffice. I don't need the hands free phone connection for calls texts etc, as I use the system in my car for this.
Are the extra smart features any use or just a gimmick?

4. Finally, I see the new 2017 models have extra TripAdvisor and Parking services built in. These may be useful, especially the parking. But are they free or subscription based?

Trying to decide whether to go for a Drive or Drivesmart, and a 2016 or 2017 model. The wifi updating doesn't really bother me, as I always connect to a PC for updates anyway.

If that's the only advantage of the newer models, then I may save some money by going for the 2016 models.

Any opinions would be most helpful.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Decide on your size, 5" or 6"

2) Definately get a LMT-D as the traffic is good, certainly far better than TMC.

3) Depending on what you do look for voice control, saves loads of fingerprints on the glass.

4) Wait for more suggestions.

I'm sure Garmin have a comparison page where you can see what's available.

Oh, 5) Avoid the DriveAssist as the dashcam is pants, IMO.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hammer

I've just recently bought a DriveSmart 50 LMT-D and agree with K's comments above, definitely get the LMT-D model as digital traffic is far superior.

Like you I saved cash by buying the non Wi-Fi version.

You can go to Garmin's pages and do a side by side comparison of models should you find that helps.
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kremmen and sussamb.

The digital traffic sounds like it's the way to go.

I popped into my local Currys branch but they didn't have much of a range of sizes and models to compare them.

I've seen Argos currently offering the 50 LMT-D for £139.99, which seems a good deal.

Although I admit I quite like the look of the new 61 model with the edge to edge display!

I need find a store that has them all on display so I can have a play.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll find a store with them all on display. You just need to decide which of the range you want feature wise then buy that model in the appropriate screen size.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords usually have the most devices on display - not sure if they will let you check them out though

One for thing for sure the digital traffic on Garmin does not seem to be down as much as it was on TomTom. In fact since I got my DriveLuxe the traffic has always worked, compared to the TT traffic which constantly failed on my go5000.

In regards to screen size not sure how much more screen you will see as not sure if it increases the size of the side notification area, it's large enough (if not too large) on the 5" screens and could easily be reduced in size. Must admit the TT side panel for traffic is better sized and good that it's semi transparent.

If you not bothered about wifi, don't waste your money on buying one for that as they very similar specification to the older 2016 models otherwise.

On a side note it looks like TT have released an update which allows you to have custom poi shown on the map (currently can't use customer images) so could be useful for displaying the PGPSW cameras, just shame can't get alerts - they've also incorperated similar lane guidance feature as the garmins so it goes split-screen.
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll try to get along to a Halfords and see what they have.

Regarding the digital traffic, reviews I've found on the internet seem to suggest it's not as comprehensive as Tom Toms offering, albeit they tend to be a few years old, so things may have improved.

How have people who have it found it?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See walkerx posts above. Also my experience is that its very comprehensive, even in France I was getting reports of issues many miles away.

I suspect the reports are on the earlier analogue system if they're a few years old.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can compare TT and Garmin traffic but you can't load the cameras onto a new TT.

Garmin traffic comes from Inrix if you use the cable and is updated every minute
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kremmen,

It is precisely the fact that you can't install the cameras onto the new Tom Toms that has made me look at the Garmins.

I notice in your signature you have the GARMIN nüvi 2599LMT-D model.

How does that compare with the newer Drivesmart 50 / 51 models?
The specs look identical to me, apart from the wifi on the 51 model, or am I missing something?

I've seen some good deals on that model, but worry I'm missing out on something if I don't get the newer models?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from a 2508 to a DriveSmart 50. There are some things I like, others I don't. Biggest gripe is that its much harder to edit pre-loaded trips, but I do find the screen far sharper and more responsive.

From what I've read here and elsewhere there is little difference between the 50 and 51, apart from WiFi.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
In regards to screen size not sure how much more screen you will see as not sure if it increases the size of the side notification area, it's large enough (if not too large) on the 5" screens and could easily be reduced in size
I have the 5" and 6" Garmin.
On the 5" the screen width is 111mm with the side bar at 37.5 mm wide (including the tab at the top right) giving a map/sidebar ratio of 1.96 and a map width of 73mm.
The 6" has a screen width of 135mm withe the sidebar at 45mm giving a map/sidebar ratio of 2.0 and a screen map width of 90mm.
Thus the sidebar is proportionally smaller on the 6" but the difference is tiny and I had to measure it to decide and remember, the sidebar can easily be dismissed giving the full screen width to the map.
I suspect that the ratio is actually the same on both, but I can't measure accurately enough.
Thinking about it, the ratio must be exactly the same as it will be scaled in pixels and why would they change it unless they wanted to make in appreciably smaller/larger.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

111mm means nothing to me, I'm too old. What's that in Anglo Saxon

In answer to the request I can't help because I haven't got a Drive unit so follow Suss's advice.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5" screen is 4.4" wide and the 6" is 5.4". And the sidebar takes uo 1.3 of the screen. Now tell me you don't understand decimals and fractions. Very Happy
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm about to bite the bullet and purchase a new Garmin to replace my Tom Tom.

I've decided on the 5 inch screen as the 6 inch while nice seems just too big for a car.

My only dilemma is whether to get a 50 or 51 model.

From what I can see the newer 51 offers wifi updating, Live parking and trip advisor functions.

The only one I think I might find useful is the live parking, but what are peoples experience of this? In practice is it useful or just a gimmick?
Also do you have to subscribe to get it or is it free?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: