Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs Overtaking Lanes Australia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs Overtaking Lanes Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tregithew1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: POIs Overtaking Lanes Australia Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know of any POI files that show Australian Overtaking (Passing) Lanes?

Thanks,
John
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Please excuse my ignorance but is there a need to know where Overtaking Lanes are in Australia?

Is it for cars or road trains?

In the UK we have dual carriageways and motorways. In the single lane roads there are occasionally bits of dual carriageways where you can safely pass. When I visited Australia (Western Australia and New South Wales), driving was similar to the UK although that was in the late 1990s Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Tregithew1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. Yes indeed there is a need for overtaking lanes. While Dual carriageways do exist between some of the main cities you don't have to go very far off the beaten track or into the interior to find yourself on highways that are single lane only. We just completed a journey to Far North Queensland on the east coast of Australia in our motorhome travelling on Australia's Highway 1 which circumnavigates the continent. We were stuck behind slower trucks and caravans on many occasions on unfamiliar roads and looking for opportunities to overtake. It occurred to me that if I was aware the next overtaking lane wasn't too far away I would happily wait rather than risk overtaking. However sometimes the next overtaking lane may be 30 mins away.

Before we left I discovered Navman make a dedicated GPS Called MYESCAPE III which contains this feature. http://www.navman.com.au/car-gps-devices/specialty/MYESCAPEIII/overview/
We bought one but unfortunately discovered that it only notifies you about an upcoming overtaking lane at the same time you go past a physical road sign notifying you! This is generally 5km before the lane and basically useless for what I want. It doesn't permit configuring the warning to come earlier.

So the data is available, I was hoping someone has it available as POIs. Then I could install it into sygic and the distance to the nearest overtaking lane would only be a button press away.

All the best,
John
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tregithew1 wrote:
We bought one but unfortunately discovered that it only notifies you about an upcoming overtaking lane at the same time you go past a physical road sign notifying you! This is generally 5km before the lane and basically useless for what I want. It doesn't permit configuring the warning to come earlier.

Really? 5kms isn't enough warning for you Shocked
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that. If passing lanes can be 30mins apart. At 100km/h that's 50km. If you only get a 5km advanced warning that one is approaching, that's in the next 3mins. So, do you sit behind a lorry for 27mins, or do you take a chance?

Edited - However,I can't see it working as a Poi though. Having to detect POI's at 50km distance has the potential to throw up an awful lot of false alerts.
But then, I've never actually been to the interior, I guess it's pretty remote.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Tregithew1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

However,I can't see it working as a Poi though. Having to detect POI's at 50km distance has the potential to throw up an awful lot of false alerts.

Actually Sygic handles dealing with POI's at these distances routinely. I can hit a button to show my preferred POI's along my route. Currently I've set this to petrol stations and it lists them up to 80kms away so I think it'd work well with overtaking lanes if that info was available.

It's all about having the information to make educated decisions about overtaking and thus increasing safety on the road for everyone. [/img]
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I'm clearly missing the point here.

Don't you take 'educated decisions' about overtaking anyway? It shouldn't really matter where the next 'overtaking lane ' is . It's either safe to overtake or it's not regardless.

We have similar signs in the UK on some roads indicating a dual carriageway is x miles away, but regardless of that it's still the drivers responsibility to ensure it's safe to overtake. If it is I will whether the next dual carriage way is one mile or ten miles away.

Petrol stations, rest stops etc I can see the logic behind knowing where they are but the idea of knowing where overtaking lanes are 80 kms in advance just doesn't make sense to me Confused
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry but I'm clearly missing the point here.
If you were in your camper following a hugely long road train, that's going to take for ever to pass, down a dusty single carriageway you might get it.
Shall I try a risky overtake now, or should I wait for 5 or 6 miles for the overtaking lane that I know about cuz I've got the advanced knowledge.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in that situation I'd have to do what I normally do, assess if it's safe to pass or not. If it is, pass. If not, wait. Guess I still don't see the issue Very Happy

I'm certainly not going to overtake simply because my satnav tells me the next 'overtaking lane' isn't for a while yet, I've been to head on collisions, they're not a pretty sight Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I was in that situation I'd have to do what I normally do, assess if it's safe to pass or not. If it is, pass. If not, wait.
But if you can't really see if the road is clear enough to make a safe overtake because of the dust etc., and there is a safe overtaking lane coming up, then why risk a risky overtake. Otherwise, follow it for hundreds of miles :=(
All this tooing and froing is not really helping the OP find an overtaking lane POI set in OZ though. :-)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True ... it's not helping the OP with his request but it might make him think if he really needs it Wink

(dust is no worse than fog, would you overtake in fog if you couldn't see that it was clear? (rhetorical question, I'm sure you wouldn't Smile )) (I'll shut up now Twisted Evil )
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the answer is not that we know of Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having driven from Sydney to Cairns, Melbourne, Canberra, Woywoy so many times times I felt I knew the roads better than the ones back home, I think I know why the OP would like the poi.
I'm not going to talk about the rights, wrongs, driving technique etc.
The road trains are huge, so are the ones towing a trailer behind the normal load. Driving a v8 you can go like the clappers to get past, and the police know where these straight passing places are and wait to ping you speeding.
In a mobile home it can't be much fun, more so on an unsealed road, of which there are many.

Anyway, I've done a fair bit of searching for a poi with no luck. There are s couple of trucker sites with poi, but can't get into them without membership. Garmin do a trucker gps with poi, but only list services, rest, shower, tyre checks, speed cams etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: