Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motarola Moto g and CamerAlert volume!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motarola Moto g and CamerAlert volume!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annlouise25
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Motarola Moto g and CamerAlert volume! Reply with quote

I have a Moto G phone with CamerAlert. I have tried the app through my peugoet 308 car speakers. The sound is very low, I can hardly hear the female voice. All the volumes on the app, phone are turned up to the max. I have used a usb and Aux cable but the voice is still very low. The music stops when the voice from the app comes through but it's not loud enough. Also can I run the speed cams through my in car sat nav(Navteq)? Is there a setting that I'm not switching on? Also can I reduce the sensitivty of the app? it picks up cameras which are not on my route.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the settings there is an option to set a different volume level to the phone's own volume levels.

Not sure if you have these settings activated but here is a link to the manual -

http://www.cameralert.com/manual/?os=android

You shall find the details under *Customising the Alerts _ Advanced Setings * in section 6) c)

Edit

Yes, you can also reduce the sensititvity by reducing the cone of detection as detailed in section 6) d) but doing so may fail to warn you of a camera hiding around the next corner. See section 5) for an explination.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
annlouise25
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Motarola Moto g and CamerAlert volume! Reply with quote

Yes done this and it's still low. Can i put the camera database on to my peugoet 308 sat nav(Navteq)?
annlouise25
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Motarola Moto g and CamerAlert volume! Reply with quote

The voice of CamerAlert seems very low, I have turned up the volume on everything in the car and on the phone
Also can I put the speed camera database into my peugoet Sat Nav (Navteq)? Sad
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Volume on Moto G android phone Reply with quote

My Moto G has no problem in driving me nuts with the volume and quantity of alerts that the female voice shouts at me every 20 meters or so when traveling down the Mi, M69 M40 or M6. It got so bad coming up the M6 from Gaydon on Sunday that I stopped at the services and turned off all but the fixed cameras alerts. There is no problem with the volume from the phone.
Just go to the advanced settings and experiment As to sending the output from the phone to my car sat nav system. it just does not function on my BMW 730D 2014. The phone is recognized and takes calls, texts, reads the phone book, even plays back music, but it just will not talk to the app, Must be a different system.
The app its self works well in some parts but not in others. Due to the badly maintained database, it has every temporary speed camera that was ever installed on these and every other motorway. As a result, the over speed routine is constantly shouting out every few seconds on a long since departed 30 MPH camera which is now at 70MPH, and there is no option to turn it off.
Until the database is updated, and this useless over speed app has a turn off option, I will only allow fixed cameras and unconfirmed mobile cameras to be detected. The app is good in many parts, but rubbish in these.
May I suggest to whoever runs the scheme that all temporary camera sites more than 1 year old are automatically deleted. If they are still there, people will quickly report them again.
Best Wishes
Howard Walker
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You like it then? So you prefer unconfirmed mobiles to those sites that have been confirmed as suitable or by multiple reports?

Mobiles that have not been 'seen again' are periodically purged from the database.

If PGPSW data is so useless, why don't you subscribe to the TomTom offering? Then you'll find out which is the more accurate.

The 30MPH cam on a 70MPH road is probably a 30MPH camera on a side or crossing road adjacent to the road that you are on.

If you don't like her shouting at you, turn the volume down or chose the male voice ;-)
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
You like it then? So you prefer unconfirmed mobiles to those sites that have been confirmed as suitable or by multiple reports?

Mobiles that have not been 'seen again' are periodically purged from the database.

If PGPSW data is so useless, why don't you subscribe to the TomTom offering? Then you'll find out which is the more accurate.

The 30MPH cam on a 70MPH road is probably a 30MPH camera on a side or crossing road adjacent to the road that you are on.

If you don't like her shouting at you, turn the volume down or chose the male voice ;-)

Never was a male voice fan.
It would not be so bad if there were only one out of date camera alert on the M1 and other motorways from Huddersfield to Gaydon and back via the M6. but there are at least 25 different ones, so someone is not removing them at any useful rate. Driving for three miles or so at 70 with a phone shouting "30" every three seconds is no joke, and I don't play with my phone when driving - its illegal in case you are not aware of that. I have subscribed to the database for many years, through the life of three different TomToms, and when in my other car, I use it on my TomTom. However, I have noticed a great deterioration in the data provided, so someone is not doing their job properly. I pay for a service that is not been provided in a reliable manner.
If you want to verify, take a trip on the M62 from Junction 24 to Junction 41 on the M62 and record the alerts on your mobile app. I am sure that there are not half as many cameras on that route as the database would have you believe.
As to the M1 - from Leeds to Leicester - it defies description.
I do appreciate that as the MOT has been doing changes on all these motorways it can be a hard job to verify them and you have my sympathy, but customers have a right to complain, and this is the first time that I have had to make a really loud complaint.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed from voice alerts to Ping, pong, bing or bong alerts a long time ago and find them a lot more tolerable. My suggestion is that you play around with the notifications until you find them bearable.

As M8TJT says, you are being alerted to locations that are known to be used for checking the speed of vehicles. You can alter the settings of detection if you wish but you will run the risk of being caught out if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong speed.

Edited - by Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

As M8TJT says, you are being alerted to locations that are known to be used for checking the speed of vehicles. You can alter the settings of detection if you wish but you will run the risk of being caught out if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong speed.

Edited - by Ali.

When the motorway is obviously a 70MPH location, with no cones or restriction signs and the alerts are obviously wrong and the app is saying 30MPH every few seconds for mile after mile , its not me or the phone that is wrong, its the database. Please read what I have written or don't try to dodge the issue.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ali With all his verified mobiles suppressed, I suspect that you are right Ali.

@hwalker1. I have read what you have written and explained a reason for getting 30MPH alerts on a 70MPH M'way. They very rarely reduce the speed of motorways to 30 anyway so I repeat, they are most likely coming from locations on a nearby 30MPH road. If you can identify one of the ones that are causing the problem, I'm sure that it will get investigated.

I don't actually remember suggesting that you should play with your phone when driving, so don't lecture me on the legalities of doing so.

I presume that you have reported all these non-existent cameras. Have you? This will make the data so much better, especially if you can guarantee that a mobile will definitely no longer be at that location, ever. You never know, you might even get a year's free subs. Don't moan about it, do something about it.

Incidentally you do not pay for the database, you pay to be a member of PGPSW, the database is free to members.

Last edited by M8TJT on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Volume on Moto G android phone Reply with quote

hwalker1 wrote:
every 20 meters or so when traveling down the Mi, M69 M40 or M6.
[snip]

Due to the badly maintained database, it has every temporary speed camera that was ever installed on these and every other motorway.
[snip]

The app is good in many parts, but rubbish in these.
May I suggest to whoever runs the scheme that all temporary camera sites more than 1 year old are automatically deleted.
[snip]

someone is not doing their job properly. I pay for a service that is not been provided in a reliable manner.
[snip]

Best Wishes
Howard Walker

I don't have the Android version, I have the iPhone one, so I find it difficult to comment on the performance of your app. But I have no difficulty whatsoever in finding your comments very offensive and untrue.

I just don't believe your statement about "every 20 meters or so", that's plainly utterly wrong.

Your comment that the "badly maintained database has every temporary speed camera that was ever installed " is at least as, if not more, offensive.

I don't believe you have the slightest shred of evidence to support either of those statements.

You have already been told that unconfirmed mobile cameras are purged from the database regularly (the target period is six months) and confirmed mobiles are purged if not reported as seen again (target period 12 months). Whilst neither period is graven in stone, I can assure you that purging does take place, so "every temporary speed camera that was ever installed" is not still there

Allow me to remind you that the service you have been paying for is the website. The camera database is offered free with a subscribed membership, so technically you are not paying for the database. The site has one employee. ONE. One of his jobs is to maintain the database, which he does on a regular basis and, working from home, he often does it at out of hours times and days and from anywhere he happens to be on holiday or weekend trips.

The verification process is carried out by UNPAID volunteers in their own time AND at their own expense. Cameras are reported for addition to or removal from the database by equally unpaid site users - would that include you? Have you ever in your many years reported a camera for addition or removal?

M8TJT suggested you buy the TomTom database for comparison. I have it on one of my devices, downloaded absolutely up to date and I can assure you it is nowhere near as good as the PGPSW one. But you'd perhaps like it nowadays, since they seem to have completely dropped all mobile cameras.

Were you a member of PGPSW when it was announced that unconfirmed mobiles were to be removed from the database? I can't remember (or be bothered to look up) how many pages of furious objection that generated, so it's pretty obvious that members do want the mobiles.

I apologise to anyone who thinks I've gone on too long when I'm not able to comment on the Android app. But I find it impossible to remain silent when I see these occasional isolated criticisms of the hard work put into what is undoubtedly the best (and probably the only transparent and supported) camera database available.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwalker1 wrote:
....... Please read what I have written or don't try to dodge the issue.

I did read, I did understand and I am trying, as is everybody else, to help you.

From your descriptions, I am assuming that you have CamerAlert either set as a back ground app or set NOT to show maps.

To help identify the troublesome cameras, please set the app to show maps in the foreground, you shall then get a visual indication of which camera(s) you are being alerted to.

If it is a 30MPH camera on a Motorway, remember it's location and, when it is safe to do so, please report it as being wrong by using the Big, Yellow, Pointy, Finger in the right hand margin of this page or on the CamerAlert app. It shall then be highlighted for removal and a verifier shall confirm it as so. You shall then gain a years free membership.

As has been mentioned above, this is a database built upon community input. It is the best, but you can help make it better.

Edited - By Ali (again).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the current camera location map from which CA data is generated, on the M62 going north from J23 there are a load of variable speed cams which will alert you to teir presence. There is a 30MPH cam that might cause a false alert where the M6 crosses the A649. The camera is on the A649. There is another where the M62 crosses the B6125 with the cam on the B6125. Once past J25 there are a load of SPECS. There is a 30MPH pmobile where the M62 crosses an unnumbered road just before J32A. The cam is on the crossing road.
So that makes a total of three 30MPH cameras, none of which are on the M'way.

@ anyone who know the definitive answer. What speed alert do variable speed cameras give on CA?
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Thats interesting Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
On the current camera location map from which CA data is generated, on the M62 going north from J23 there are a load of variable speed cams which will alert you to teir presence. There is a 30MPH cam that might cause a false alert where the M6 crosses the A649. The camera is on the A649. There is another where the M62 crosses the B6125 with the cam on the B6125. Once past J25 there are a load of SPECS. There is a 30MPH pmobile where the M62 crosses an unnumbered road just before J32A. The cam is on the crossing road.
So that makes a total of three 30MPH cameras, none of which are on the M'way.

@ anyone who know the definitive answer. What speed alert do variable speed cameras give on CA?

First things first. I did not appreciate that the site was run on a voluntary basis, or I would not have been so hard with my criticism. It gives the appearance of a professionally run one, so I apologies to anyone who I may have upset, especially the one employee.

Map display is not needed as the app does not display on my blue tooth sat nav system, so it is turned off to save battery.

It is not at all safe to play with phones while driving on motorways, so I have not reported any false alerts. My phone is not accessible when I am driving, usually in my shirt pocket.
My cone is set at 23 degrees and the Direction Difference at 13 degrees, which should cut out many cameras at the side of the road. In the advanced settings, I also found an option to Ignore direction which was ticked. This could give an impression of database errors as it may warn of all cameras in a 360 degree radius at my set range of 40 seconds at 70MPH. I have turned it off. - Why would anyone need this?

I will test the app once more with these settings changed and report back. Will be a day or two.
Best wishes
Howard Walker
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Incidentally you do not pay for the database, you pay to be a member of PGPSW, the database is free to members.

DennisN wrote:
Allow me to remind you that the service you have been paying for is the website. The camera database is offered free with a subscribed membership, so technically you are not paying for the database.

I really don't think you can say that any more, especially to someone using CamerAlert on iOS or Android. In-App purchases are of the speed cameras, not a forum subscription. In practice it was never true anyway. How many paying subscribers to the forums do you think there would be if there wasn't a speed camera database? Subscribers pay for the database.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: