Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 730 internal repair after battery replacement.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

730 internal repair after battery replacement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J50JWR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: 730 internal repair after battery replacement. Reply with quote

Hi There, My first post here for sometime.
After living with a dud battery and a sticky switch for a couple of years, I replaced the battery and inspected the switch yesterday. As I wanted to look at the on/off switch, I disconnected the screen (ribbon and white plug and skt) to give me more room. When disconnecting the ribbon, a small brown locking? bar came off the connector or ribbon, and I cannot see where it goes. I've tried various combinations but cannot get it or the ribbon, to stay in place. I've tried jamming the ribbon in place with a paper strip behind the ribbon to lift the contacts in place but I cannot get the display to show. The TT fires up OK when switching on, with the TT drum beat. The switch looks and feels ok now I've superglued the hinge portion of the button in place to stop the button twisting and sticking in the "IN" postion. This used to make the unit go "code" mode.

Can anybody out there who's been sucessfully intimate with the insides of their unit help?

Many thanks, John
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this video on how to change the battery may help in showing where the clip goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-zT1YsNkKY
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very delicate connection and I fear that you have broken it! This is a common error (I did it myself on the first one I "repaired!"). I don't think it is repairable?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a common problem....

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2009/11/17/fix-broken-keyboard-connector-on-laptop-motherboard/

I've heard of people using hot melt glue to keep everything in place once you've found your suitable "wedge" to hold the cable. Obviously the best thing to try is the broken clip itself.
J50JWR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks to you all, have been away from computer for a few days but will try to fix it tomorrow, now I can see how it should look

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: