Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Start 60 keeps turning off, no power but yes there is!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Start 60 keeps turning off, no power but yes there is!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: TT Start 60 keeps turning off, no power but yes there is! Reply with quote

Strange one here, bought a TT Start60 last year to replace my XL, so far great, works plugged into a LR Freelander, Mercedes ML, Ford KA......but when I use it in a BMW 1 series (either front or rear socket) it indicates there is no power....but there is, the LED on the TT plug is alight but the Start does not see any power coming through......using the same USB lead but plugged into the computer its fine, and the power gets through in the other cars, just the BMW seems a problem, but why is the LED alight on the plug???? I am totally flumoxed now........
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this using a 12v - 5v ciggy adapter thingy with a USB socket on it on all the different cars, or is there a 5v USB outlet socket on the Beemer.
I must admit that the symptoms that you are getting are a bit (a lot) mystifying though.
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is using the exact same setup in each car, which is the TomTom USB lead plugged into the TT cigar lighter adapter, the little LED on the adapter lights in all cars, its just the BMW that TT Start says "shutting down no power detected" or words to that effect, works fine in all the toher cars!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

Put your key in the aux or accessory setting for a second or two, then actually turn to ignition to start the car. See if the device stays on then.
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, just tried that, no difference.......now the odd thing is I have just tried a traffic/dash cam in the power sockets and get no power, at all......but if I plug in the TomTom plug/USB adapter the LED comes on.......but appears to give no power through the USB socket, how can the LED light if there is no power/volts at all?
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the USB is actually wired for power or just radio/speaker interface as most appear to be?

Green light may well just show a "data" connection, not a "power" connection.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
Are you sure the USB is actually wired for power or just radio/speaker interface as most appear to be?

Green light may well just show a "data" connection, not a "power" connection.

The USB socket is on an adapter designed to be plugged into the cigar lighter / accessory socket on a car and to provide power.

Note Boxbrownie said....

Quote:
the power gets through in the other cars, just the BMW seems a problem
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a search and there are many BMW forums mentioning problems with accessory sockets in BMWs but the oldest forum mentioning it I could find was 2009.

Is this car newer than 2009-10?

Does any amount of twisting or wiggling help at all?
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well well! I had always thought that my accessories always received a charge through my cig lighter USB attachment (a Belkin) - but they don't! Have just been out to check. As previously reported, the Belkin green light illuminates but no charge reaches my accessories - I have tried all 3 possible connections in the car. Clearly I have never been on a journey long enough for any of my usual connections (Galaxy phone/TT/Nexus 7) to drop low enough to report a charge needed. I have a BMW Series 3 Touring SE 2006 model. Will have to investigate!! All works OK in my wife's Jazz.
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiouser and curiouser!! All of the power sockets work on my BMW IF I connect only with a "straight through" connector and do not use the "extra" intermediate USB connector. I connected my powered tyre pumper-upper and it worked straightway. Similarly, my TT also worked and charged via the TT "straight through" car charger - I had before used it via the USB Belkin adaptor to save changing adaptors every time I connected another accessory. It seems that for some reason the BMW sockets do not like some USB chargers?? BMW do offer their own version of USB charger - but I don't want to pay their price if I can avoid it! I'll buy one for the Nexus 7 I use for my satnav (It will serve also for my Galaxy S3 phone) and report back.[/b]
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful. If you shove 12v up a TT it doesn't like it up it and fries its internals
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tomtom 400 and have to use a 2.1Amp car cig lighter USB adapter. If not the Tomtom won't charge from a lower powered USB adapter.
Have you tried a high power adapter or is this reply no help?
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Be careful. If you shove 12v up a TT it doesn't like it up it and fries its internals

No - that won't happen! I'm thinking along the lines of "wazzzzupmate" also. Will try that suggestion as well since my Belkin USB adaptor only provides 5V at 1amp. Odd that it all works OK in a Jazz with the Belkin adaptor, though?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfp2001 wrote:
IF I connect only with a "straight through" connector
That was the bit that concerned me[/b]
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! The "straight through" connector was the adaptor from the unit that plugs straight into the power socket (and which therefore has no need of any USB adaptor). My confusing comment!!! But - thanks for the response.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: