Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Live tracking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Live tracking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Live tracking Reply with quote

Hi all.

I've just bought the upgrade to V5, and shall give it a good run tomorrow when it arrives. One aspect I can't find much discussion of is the online tracking available, at live.alk.com

Is this available to UK customers and has anyone here tried it? If so, does it provide actual maps to view online - or does it rely on the "tracker" person having CoPilot desktop?

Thanks in advance

Will
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The live tracking is available in the UK.

You send a pass by email, from within the pocket pc application, which contains a link to the ALK live website which will show a map with the location on and enable messages to be sent. You do not need the desktop application to be able to track or send messages. Thumbs Up
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely brilliant! I just noticed there are 2 parts to the review on this site and I'd only read the first.

Can you tell me whether the map pinpoints the driver's location on the map - or does it just show an x-mile radius of the driver's whereabouts?

Suprised no one else has really talked about this feature - it seems killer to me. I can see a lot of uses. Couple of times, me and my mate have tried to meet up (we're landscape photographers) and haven't managed to find the location. Or one of us is telling the other to go to a particular spot - this is just superb Smile

Will
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I thought we made it fairly obvious on the review Embarassed . Live is really a good feature, it will show you the EXACT pin point within (obviously 15m) which is what your GPS will calcuate, this will obviously increase as you're travelling at X miles an hour, and then there's the delay at sending to GPRS and updating the website and back down to the Client using the web browser. All in all hopefully it's around 500 meters accurate.

The best feature for Live is to be able to send an email out to a contact you are meeting to let them know you are going to be late, or give them a Tracking ID ahead of time so they can see how far away you are.

Live really is a unique and great feature, and it surprises me that ALK are the only company to have this sort of feature!
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave. I received CP5 today and had great fun with Live which worked flawlessly. I'll try and post a full "review" of it tomorrow, along with my findings of its data usage (which is encouragingly low). I found the web-based tracker pretty good - but using the desktop version of CP to track was absolutely brilliant.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the web console at http://live.eu.alk.com (for Europe) or http://live.alk.com (for North America) is also good and although it only lets you track the one vehicle at the same time (not multi-tracking) there is a cost upgrade that allows multiple vehicle tracking which could be good for a small company with network engineers and a call centre.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: