Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO750 renovation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO750 renovation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SignumGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: GO750 renovation Reply with quote

Hi All

Been away from the forum for a bit, my avenue of work took me off the road a bit, I couldn't offer updates or make much use of my GO750....however back to driving 45k miles a year and the roads are getting worse - I need to win one over the traffic jams!

So I have a GO750 - probably about 3/4 years old....I am looking to get it back to its peak potential, so would it be possible to get some answers on the following: (all details in my signature are the same, map versions, software version etc)

- Is it worth updating the maps, the slight road differences don't bother me too much, its the constant incorrect beeping of camera's, both fixed and average which don't exist.

- Camera's - as above, is this linked to maps or a different update?

- Is there a software update I can take advantage of, or should I leave the current one I have?

- Looking to get 'Live' back up and running, it was a god send when I had it before...let it expire when I wasn't heading out into the country much. Is there any deals to look out for?

- Finally, battery isn't great, I try to take charge lead out and used to get a good couple of hours out of a full charge, doesn't perform half as well, can I replace it easily, or is it best to just leave it be and leave it plugged into the van all the the time?

Thanks again for any help.
Europe V850.2784
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that roads change so little it is not really worth updating the maps, for the cost, it is almost worth just buying a new sat-nave every 4-5 years. You normally get one free map update with a new sat-nav. Many new models now offer lifetime map updates within the initial purchase price of the device.

You should be able to get free firmware updates by connecting your sat-nav via the Pc and using the tomtom update software. On my tomtom it downloads a 'fastfix' which helps the initial time taken to locate the satellites & give position, this is regularly updated so it is always good policy to connect to the tomtom update software once a month or so.

Don't use the tomtom speed cams but instead subscribe to the pgpsw ones here. They have proved far more accurate than the sat-nav manufacturers database. The pgpsw camera database is not linked to any particular map version so will work fine with new or old maps.

AS for the battery, have never taken a sat-nav apart, there might be a youtube video of it being done, or there are various companies offering sat-nav repairs.

Hope the above helps.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you decide to do with your 750, do make a WindowsExplorer backup of it first and store it safely on your PC. Just in case you prefer your old 750 more than the new one.

If you don't want to fit a new battery yourself, these people have had good feedback in the past http://satnavrepairservice.com/

Personally, I'd keep the 750 rather than get a later model. Keep the existing maps for a couple of months unless you establish before then that map data is missing and it's causing you problems. I would update the Operating system incrementally, taking a back up at each update as some features were removed by TT at the same time others were added. You can then find the setup which suits you best.

I have no knowledge of traffic so shall keep quiet. (for once!)
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the unit is 3/4 years old, it should be worthwhile getting a later map - I think the London Congestion Zone may have changed from the one you've got. If cost is a deal breaker, wait a short time and TomTom will offer their "current" map at a discount - when they are about to release the next newer version they always do a fire sale of maps. If you only drive in UK, the UK&ROI map is noticeably cheaper than the Europe one on your 750.

As Ali says, forget the TT cameras and get the PGPSW ones - for £20 a year, they can't be beaten for reliability if you keep them updated each week. But if you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android), the top best option is PGPSW's CamerAlert. Free download and initial latest camera database, then subscription £20 a year - updating is as easy as falling off a log, no messing with computers, just a couple of taps at any time whilst in range of 3G or wi-fi data, AND the database is directional too, no warnings for cameras looking the other way.

The 'fastfix' (called QuickGPSFix) is marketing hype and not worth bothering with (if you use your satnav regularly, it will update satellite data itself anyway). There was even a time when some of us deliberately avoided downloading it because it was giving problems! It's probably settled down now and some recent models don't allow you to opt out of it, so if it's offered, let it happen. It may be worth bothering with if you only use the satnav once a month!

Over the last more than eight years, I have NEVER run any of my satnavs on battery alone - they just won't run for a day if you're doing 45k, good battery or not.

HD Traffic is good providing there's a server connection, but DON'T rely on it to the exclusion of commonsense and listen to the radio also. Read my post here.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SignumGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies ....I know Andy P on here from another forum (not SatNav based) ..he did say in passing that it was probably best to stick with the 750 as the newer models are missing some features I have.

Maps - I may update everything else and see how it sits, I would only do UK, I got the 750 for a Italy trip, and then for a France trip but not used the Europe maps since.

Thanks for the idea on the PGPSW camera's, I'm sure its simple but is there a step by step on completing this (do I need remove existing camera's first)

Software version, I may back up and see what it throws at me, is there a release list of what changes there was across the versions that someone could point me a link towards?

Looks like the battery is staying, other than when I am in the office I pretty much use it every day for solid 4-5 hour journeys at a time so it gets a good battering on battery etc.

.....finally Traffic - It was very handy before, I agree with Dennis to use the radio too - before when I had it, I got a knack for knowing which 'shorter journeys' were worth taking.

I will get plugged in today and update you on when I am. One last question, how come people have multiple SatNav's...I'm all for tech but what are the advantages to it, or do you just like buying SatNavs Very Happy
Europe V850.2784
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SignumGPS wrote:
One last question, how come people have multiple SatNav's...I'm all for tech but what are the advantages to it, or do you just like buying SatNavs Very Happy
That's just DennisN Very Happy Very Happy
SignumGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

.... Laughing Out Loud - you can't beat a bit of tech!

So I am under way, back up done both by copying files and the 'Home' back up for good measure.

Checked for updates, latest for my device is showing 9.510...I have 9.054 so quite a few versions, I have looked on the TomTom site at the changes for each release, there doesn't seem to be anything that looks too different so will give it a go.

Can always restore to old if needed Smile
Europe V850.2784
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you any good with computers? That is, can you connect your 750 to the PC, then copy and paste everything to a separate directory/folder on the hard disk without turning a hair? If so, you are well capable of doing the business with the PGPSW cameras. There are comprehensive instructions on the page where the compatibility list is, but simply put...

1. Subscribe.
2. Download the database.
3. Unzip the database.
4. Copy and paste the unzipped files into the map folder on your 750.
5. Show POIs on map.
6. Manage POIs and set up Warn when near.
7. Feel clever (and safe!).

The instructions are more comprehensive than that, so read and obey, but basically it is that simple. It is not obligatory to remove the TomTom cameras (but they're pretty rubbish and cost £20 a year if you want to keep updating them - EDIT, no they don't, it's part of the Live Services subscription. It's easy enough to disable them, in Live Services just set the warnings to not warn. Or try them running at the same time as PGPSW's and you'll soon find out which is best).

But honestly, if you've got a smartphone (Android) or iPhone, it's easier and better to get the App for the same subscription price.

If you're capable with the PC, make a backup with Windows Explorer (copy/paste). Then delete the map folder from the 750, connect to PC, login to TomTom website and buy UK&ROI map. Personally, I believe the TomTom runs faster with the smaller map, maybe not everybody would agree with me.

I don't see any advantage to updating incrementally (and I'm not PC bright enough to know how to do it!) so I'd just let it update from TomTom. The latest software for the 750 is App 9.510. The latest map is v920 - you have v850. They increment by 5 each new version - 850, 855, 860, 865, and so on. If I were bright I could work out how old your map is, but I'm not so I can't. New maps every three months, so however many 5s and three monthses!

Multiple satnavs? Well, why not? Anyway, when a new one comes out and you buy it, what do you do with the old one which you are familiar with and works better then the new one TomTom have just conned you into buying? I bought new ones for every "New, Improved" model up to the 750, then realised they were getting worse and worse, so I stopped. I ran out of relatives to give them to years ago. Then, if you have read the post I referred you to, you'll see that having a choice of three to ignore is a lot better than just one - I don't just get different Traffic reports, I sometimes get different routes. Then again, sometimes one or more will crash (the system will crash, not the van) and if that happens in the tall canyons of London, I get embarrassing heart or underwear results if I don't have another one to follow. But I know one thing - if I could find a GO700 in mint (2005 vintage) condition, I'd buy it like a shot.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to demonstrate what a PC plonker I am, I've just tried re-setting my avatar and lost it. Bluddy computers!

EDIT Hooray! Five minutes of swearing solved it.

Last edited by DennisN on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
SignumGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis for your in depth post.

Yes I am comfortable with computers...I have built them in the past and I do networking, program RS232/RS485 device programs and add various server adapters, virtual desktops as part of my job.

So I will subscribe and take a look, I just wasn't sure if it was a case of drag and drop of if there were set steps to follow.

I have updated the App version now so it should be up to date, I can always go back if needed.

..on to newer models of SatNavs, I haven't used too many new ones, I think the newest is a Go1000 which a friend has, but they seem to have a larger screen and slimmer body to them which is appealing!

Next stop POI's!
Europe V850.2784
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SignumGPS wrote:
..on to newer models of SatNavs, I haven't used too many new ones, I think the newest is a Go1000 which a friend has, but they seem to have a larger screen and slimmer body to them which is appealing.

Nope, that's not the latest model. They've "improved" them again since that one. So DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEM. You have been warned!

The camera download page has a long list of compatibility, which also includes installation instructions. One point to note if you download the voice files (which I recommend you do), is that when setting up the voice Warn When Near, it asks "Is this the sound you want?" and you hear NOTHING but must answer YES.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
is that when setting up the voice Warn When Near, it asks "Is this the sound you want?" and you hear NOTHING but must answer YES.
You would have thought that TT would have sorted that one out by now wouldn't you? I mean, just how hard can it be to play a sound? Has it always been like that Dennis?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's always been like that. And why would they sort it out? The 750 and prior models are ancient stuff which TT hardly even recognise still exist and certainly no longer support. Plus it's not their sounds - their bleeps and bloops work perfectly - not that they are the slightest use - they have a dozen different camera categories (with no speeds associated with them) and the best they can offer is a miriad different squawks or dings, bongs and bleeps to tell you which camera type is coming up. I once tried to set them up and ended up with a list of what a dozen different Beep, or Beepbeep, or Mooo, or Tara, or Tada represented. So the TomTom goes "Ding" and you grab your list to find out what's coming. Then you discover that the "Ding" you've allocated to a speed camera is going off for a redlight camera because they've marked it wrongly in their database and anyway, the next speed camera gives "Bong" instead of "Ding".

I have to say I rather prefer my PGPSW choice "Siren, Warning, mobile camera zone, speed 50 miles per hour". Somehow appeals more to my dullard brain than "Bing".

On my GO550 (same as OP's 750) the TT warnable thingies are...

Fixed Speed Cameras
Mobile Speed Cameras
Red Light Speed Cameras
Restricted Road Speed Cameras
Miscellaneous Speed Cameras
Mobile Camera Hotspots
Average Speed Check
Bidirectional Speed Cameras
Toll Road Speed Cameras
Accident Blackspots
Ungated Railway Crossings

Their available warning sounds are...
Bell 1, 2 & 3
Beep 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Boing
Bugle
Cow
Cuckoo
Polite 1, 2, 3 & 4
Silence
Warn 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7
Attention 1 & 2
Airplane
Beep 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 (again)
Bell 1, 2 & 3 (again)
Boing (again)
Bugle (again)
Camera
Cow (again)
Cuckoo (again)
Flash
Horn
Notify 1, 2 & 3
Polite 1, 2 & 3 (again)
Restaurant
Ringtone

It must be simple to remember that the sound of a passing Tiger Moth means there's an ungated railway crossing ahead. And a passing cuckoo means there's a miscellaneous speed camera coming up.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise that it was that simple Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SignumGPS wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

.... Laughing Out Loud - you can't beat a bit of tech!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: