Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile camera locations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile camera locations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Mobile camera locations Reply with quote

Hi: just a quickie. Grinding up the hill on the A41 heading towards W'hampton just outside Wem this morning I saw a camera van. I am trying to log it on Seen Again but all I get is the road map without any camera locations. Is there an issue?

Thanks

Mike
toyracer69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was a new position? Have you posted it up on the camera submission page?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other camera icons are showing in the area so it looks like it is a new location.

MaFt
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: New location Reply with quote

OK. I will try and track back my roaute tomorrow morning and log in again then. It was definitely a mobile.

Thanks

Mike
tulloch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, as a new user I have a couple of questions re mobile sites.

If the site is unverified and I know for sure that this is a live site as I have seen the unit there in the past should I report as seen again or should one only do this if the camera is actually spotted in operation now?

On the list view there is a green tick and a red cross on the mobile camera. I understand the tick is a quick access to "seen again". Should we report sightings of verified mobile locations every time a camera is spotted?

What is the red cross for?

Thanks.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tulloch wrote:
...I know for sure that this is a live site as I have seen the unit there in the past should I report as seen again
Yes please. If enough people report it, it will be include as a definite site (I believe)
Quote:
Should we report sightings of verified mobile locations every time a camera is spotted?
Yes please. It keeps them 'alive', as mobiles not seen again are eventually removed from the database.
Quote:
What is the red cross for?
It's probably a 'non active' camera, such as a 'time expired' mobile that has not been refreshed by a 'seen again' report and has been removed from the active database.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't we edit threads in this topic? Stop it!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant "Why can't we edit our posts in this topic?" Stop it! Stop it!
tulloch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. However the red cross I'm talking about is next to the green tick on the mobile camera. It's very much a live site. In fact all the mobile sites have this. It must have a function but it can't be to report no camera sighted, that would not make sense whereas the green tick, camera sighted, does.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tulloch wrote:
However the red cross I'm talking about is next to the green tick on the mobile camera.
The red cross indicated that it has been timed out from the database because no one has reported it as a 'seen again' for quite a long period of time. That's why it's important to report 'seen again' cameras. I have no idea what the green tick is for. If you tell us what device are you are seing these cameras on and an example of one with the tick and cross, quoting either the cam number from the submission map, or the lat/lon of it we can possibly see what you mean.

Ah, I think that I have just twigged, you are using the CamerAlert app on a smart phone and these ticks and crosses are in the popup that you get when approaching a mobile. For some reason or another I was assuming that you wre talking about the submission map on this site.

The tick is to report it as 'seen again' and the cross is for 'not there'. I can't understand why the 'not there' button is actually for, as mobiles are 'not there' for about 99.9% of the time. MaFt, please explain. Embarassed
tulloch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have said it's the iPhone app I'm using.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tulloch wrote:
It must have a function but it can't be to report no camera sighted, that would not make sense whereas the green tick, camera sighted, does.

The red cross is indeed to report "No camera there (when I drove past just now)". And I agree with you that it seems odd to report nothing! Maybe the value of it is to report that a member has driven past the site and saw nothing, as opposed to us never knowing whether the camera site is inactive or simply that none of us drive that way these days? The green tick is, as you rightly judge, to report that you saw a camera in operation "when I drove past just now". This is not my favourite function of the software, to be honest, but others seem to like it. Personally I would be glad if they introduced the ability to turn this off as I find it gets in the way of the camera location on the map.

As for "Seen again" reports - only do this if you actually DO see one operating again, NOT just because you "know" it's a live site - the seen again is recorded as a date when it was last seen operating and we don't want reports that you still believe it's live.

Remember, the database works entirely on the basis of members reports of actual sightings of cameras - we don't want "best guess" or "this is a likely spot (e.g. motorway police stands)".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tulloch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, perfectly clear now. Your explanation has prompted me to think that the feature (seen now, not seen) could be used to update in near real time, so users could be warned if a location they were approaching was currently live. Any plans for that?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, but in my techno innocence I'd be guessing that live reporting to the members is a whole new ballgame, probably beyond "our" resources.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Besides which, I'd hesitate to rely on a report that a camera isn't there (or indeed that one IS there) - Too much information, I'm satisfied to know I'm near a possible mobile camera and drive defensively.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: