Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user of 52LM - a few questions.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user of 52LM - a few questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: New user of 52LM - a few questions. Reply with quote

I haven't had the unit in the car yet, but I've been running routes in simulator mode, and I've ended up with a few questions about very minor problems.

These are in no sense complaints, and there are obviously ways round all of them. They're simply minor drawbacks compared to my old device ( a tomtom, bought 4 years ago at twice the price).

Overall it's a very nice unit, and a lot of thought has been put into the design from a user's viewpoint.

I've downloaded the manual, and I can't see any mention of these points, though I could easily have missed them.

1. Can I simulate driving a route a speed better than 1:1 ?

2. With the unit plugged into my laptop for charging, I just have a screen saying "GARMIN", a blue triangle and a small picture. Ejecting (not physically) and restarting the device takes me to the same screen. Is it possible to use the unit while charging?

3. After running a route, and pressing Stop, the location is left at the destination. Is there a quick way to reset the location to Home?

4. In 'View Map', is there any way to select an address, or do you have to zoom out and find the point you want?

5. When setting a location on a dual carriageway (usually a via) is there a way to set which side you want the location to be? Is the direction of the small arrow significant?

6. The only junction I can actually find is that of the A3 and M25. I'm then offered four options in the form: road(direction) road(direction). Does 'direction' refer to 'from' or 'to'? Or 'from' and then 'to'?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Unfortunately no.

2. Ditto Wink But you can if it's plugged into a wall charger.

3. If you switch off and switch on again I think that should work (it does on my 2508 and 1490).

4. I don't understand that one?

5. Nope, just need to zoom in far enough so you select the right one.

6. Direction of travel along that road.

HTH Smile
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

1. Pity - but it's useful for the charge/discharge battery cycle.

2. I was going to come to wall charging, since it seems very slow at charging from the USB socket. I have my old tomtom charger, with the same mini-usb plug. I also have two wall plugs with USB outlet. One is for my iPad, the other for my mobile phone. I assume it's safe to use any of these to charge the unit?
3. I have to remind myself that switching off also switches off the GPS simulation. I've also found I can use Where To? / Home. and then use "Set Loc".

4. I was under the impression that you had to use "View Map" to set a new start location (while in simulator), and there's no way that I can see to identify a point on the map to start looking from. However, I've now found that you can use Where To? to find a location, and set a new start location, but for that point only. You then go back to Where To? / Browse Map to set a new start location.

I use this to test out what happens at a specific junction or tricky part of a route.

5. Sometimes it will give a direction, as in "A1(N)" , but usually not. So it's a case of seeing how often the route take you along that bit of road.

6. So it's always the direction you're travelling towards? Driving SE along the M25, to turn left onto the A3 NE would be M25(SE)A3(NE)?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That about sums it up ... once you get used to it it becomes second nature Smile
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And any thoughts on the use of a wall charger intended for a TT, iPad or mobile phone?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, missed that. I use a generic wall charger and never had any issues.
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. My three chargers have the details in raised plastic, which I hate. So far as I can see, they all output 5V. I'll try one tomorrow! Smile
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info mine provides a 580mA charge.
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some research, and they're either interchangeable, work slowly or don't work at all, depending on the output current compared to the current the device expects. Most devices need 0.5A, but Apple devices usually need more, so an Apple USB wall plug can be used for most devices.

The voltage is virtually the same for all - 5.0V or 5.1V.

That's provided they're genuine plugs, of course. Cheap (usually Chinese) imports are dangerous in all sorts of ways.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldie70 wrote:
I've done some research, and they're either interchangeable, work slowly or don't work at all
Rolling Eyes How much research did that take?? Very Happy
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long, but the possibility I wanted to rule out was that the wrong one could blow up the device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: